congestion

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Poohbear05, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

My poor little guy has been sooo congested lately! The Dr. listened to him and checked for a sinus infection at his 4 month check up, but didn't' say anything.

What can I do to help alleviate it?? I'm currently trying the warm mist humidifier, but it doesn't seem to be working, other than to heat his room up!

Any other suggestions?? Would baby Vaporub help or the plug-in vapors???

2. lschiff

lschiff New Member

QUOTE(blueclouds @ Jan 2 2009, 07:25 PM) [snapback]1130536[/snapback]
    My poor little guy has been sooo congested lately! The Dr. listened to him and checked for a sinus infection at his 4 month check up, but didn't' say anything.

What can I do to help alleviate it?? I'm currently trying the warm mist humidifier, but it doesn't seem to be working, other than to heat his room up!
    Any other suggestions?? Would baby Vaporub help or the plug-in vapors???

I think Vaporub is a no-no (at least according to my pediatrician)....

I've heard the best thing is a cool mist humidifier and saline spray (we use Baby Simply Saline)

hope he feels better soon :)

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I use vicks baby rub all the time and we have not had any problems, and it works great! I also second the Cool mist humidifier (we have the vicks one) and saline spray!

Good Luck! I hope your little man is feeling better soon!! :hug:

4. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

The only reason we have a warm mist humidifier is the Dr. had told us to use it when my daughter would get croupe... Guess it's a trip out to Target to get me a cool mist one for him then! I've always favored the cool mist ones, but went with what the Dr. was telling us to do with my daughter...

5. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I swear by the vicks vapor plugins! LOVE them! They even help with my breathing!

I am also a big fan of saline spray (little noses), I spray each nostril once and then wait with a tissue for it allto come running out. I know alot of people are against saline as it is addicting.

6. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blueclouds @ Jan 2 2009, 04:33 PM) [snapback]1130544[/snapback]
    The only reason we have a warm mist humidifier is the Dr. had told us to use it when my daughter would get croupe... Guess it's a trip out to Target to get me a cool mist one for him then! I've always favored the cool mist ones, but went with what the Dr. was telling us to do with my daughter...

That's weird that the pedi suggested a warm mist humidifier for croupe. My DD was just hospitalized for 3 days for croupe and they told me to use a cool mist one...

7. lschiff

lschiff New Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jan 2 2009, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1130546[/snapback]
    I swear by the vicks vapor plugins! LOVE them! They even help with my breathing!

I am also a big fan of saline spray (little noses), I spray each nostril once and then wait with a tissue for it allto come running out. I know alot of people are against saline as it is addicting.

What have you heard about saline being addicting? My ped tells me to use it like there's no tomorrow! He's anti-vicks, but I honestly don't remember why.... I seem to recall he was against one of the ingredients... not sure, though

8. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twins&toddler @ Jan 2 2009, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1130700[/snapback]
    What have you heard about saline being addicting? My ped tells me to use it like there's no tomorrow! He's anti-vicks, but I honestly don't remember why.... I seem to recall he was against one of the ingredients... not sure, though

I have never used vicks rub on the girls but love the plugins.

As for the saline, I know it can be addicting in adults. I think its more compulsory, like chapstick, but I'm not positive.

9. Alaskangirls

Alaskangirls Well-Known Member

The best thing for congestion is a hot shower with momma. Just let the steam in the shower help break up and run out that congestion.
    -MOM of three

10. missl

missl Member

My girls have had a cold, and I've been doing some poking around about this. I've done the cool mist humidifier, the vaporizer with Vicks, Vicks Baby Rub (my ped told me that it doesn't work and is a waste of money, but I slathered them in it anyway), hot steam from the shower, saline mist, and the nose sucker. I think they've all helped. For good measure, I also took some Vitamin C to make immunity-boosting breast milk. What the heck, right?

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

For cool mist humidifiers, make sure it's a visible mist one. I bought a invisible mist one by mistake and it doesn't help with congestion at all.