Constant mis-spelling of your child's name

Discussion in 'General' started by ckreh, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

My entire life people have been mis-spelling my name; Kristen instead of Kristin. I have learned to deal with it, but sometimes repeat offenders get to me. When we named Max (Maxwell is his full name) & Lily we thought we chose easy to spell names. Well, DH's family just can't seem to spell Lily's name. She is always Lilly, Lilie or Lillie. MIL and SIL don't even know how to spell or say her middle name Eveline which is after my grandma. Max's middle name is after DH's late dad, so I think they are partial to him. I want to say something to the offender's in his family, but DH doesn't want any family issues so :hush: . I want to scream, "really don't you read the Christmas, birthday, or other cards during the year that you get from us or are we just not that important to remember". We do the photo Christmas cards with current pics of the twins and our names are typed clearly on the card :headbang: . I always check to see if I am spelling someone's name correctly if I have a doubt. I just had to vent here. It's not major, but has been bugging me lately. Thanks for listening.

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I understand why that would be very frustrating. It it weren't close family, then I could understand, but aunts and grandmas would bother me.

A lot of people misspelled DD's name at first, but now it's not as often.

3. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

People just know a name and immediately associate it with a familiar spelling. My name is misspelled constantly. It is Stacy, not Stacey. People who have known me for years will still misspell it. Even here, when someone replies to me, they will often misspell my name and it is written right in my signature line. But, they know my name is Stacy and they know that Stacy is spelled Stacey, so they never stop to look or check if they are right.

Honestly, it doesn't bug me any more. That's just what happens when you have a name that can be spelled multiple ways. I just make sure to always spell it for anyone who needs to wright it down (when making appointments, ect.) Since I got married, I also have to spell my last name for people, too. And they still get that one mixed up with another common "A" last name! :laughing:

4. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My brother just mis-spelled my sons name on his birthday card. He put one T instead of two T's for his name. I did tell him but I would guess when Christmas comes his name will be spelled wrong again from him. It does bother me a little but I know when he starts school his name will most likely be spelled wrong every now and then from other kids. Kira has also had her name spelled wrong Kyra instead of Kira a lot from other kids and in the beginning family and close friends, now it's only from other kids from school. I never even thought when picking Kira's name that there was another spelling for it until people were spelling it differently and I saw some actresses with that name and it was spelled differently. My son I new because his is the Italian spelling and the one T is more for Hispanic.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I also understand why that would be frustrating. My 13yr old is Jared (pronounced Jer-ed) and we get Jarrod, Jarred, Jarod, Jarrett A LOT from family and the child is 13 imagine the cards we have sent out!! plus if we go to a new dr office or somewhere that new people have to call his name it gets mispronounced more often than they get it right(often like it were spelled Jerrard) - I just correct them but it frustrates Jared. When it comes to family I have not said anything but Jared has and they continue to get it wrong, so I am not sure telling them would change anything. The next card you send out - have her name printed in bolder letters - just to have it stand out. Maybe that will get the attention of at least one of the ones who get it wrong!??

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

It drives me nuts! I have a Sofia and people always spell it 'Sophia'. I'm constantly saying it's Sofia, with an F! Even family and friends do it, which drives me to the brink of insanity. :gah:

7. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

Ean's name is spelled Ian most of the time, but it doesn't bother me too much because we were asking for it spelling it that way. Anytime you spell something a little different you have to prepare for mispelling. My name is spelled Elisha, but I think I've only ever had it spelled correctly once in my life. Poor DH, his name is Bryce, but my brother still spells it Brice 4 years later!

8. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Kaitlyn's gets mispelled all the time! People put a C instead of a K and also spell it, Catelyn or Katelyn. Good thing she can't read yet!

9. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

My name is Ann. I always see it spelled Anne. That used to bother me, to the point where I would introduce myself as "ann, with no e". It seems like such a simple thing to me, to remember only two letters. But it doesn't bother me anymore, and I don't know when I stopped caring. Just don't call me "annie".
    And, ironically, I have a relative named Hilary and I can never remember if her name is spelled with one "l" or two. That might have been when I stopped insisting people spell MY name right, when I realized I couldn't spell hers right all the time! (I also have a friend named either "alison" or "Allison".
    I think some people "see" a name in their mind, and that makes spelling more important to them. I think, to others, the sound of the name is what's most important.

10. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

My grandma has never spelled my name right, it has always been Chrissie, Crissy, Crissie, Christy.. really anything but my name.

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

They always want to spell Jesse's name "Jessie" which to me, is the female spelling. My oldest dd, Jaymee gets this alot too. They want to spell her name Jamie. Which I can understand because I spelled her name differently than most. But I thought Jesse was pretty much the standard spelling for a boy.

12. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I don't get too worked up about it. There are so many ways to spell names now and people use such different/strange spellings now for so many names. Catherine is named after my grandmother. DH's grandmother is also Catherine, but spells it "Kathryn". Every single card she's ever sent to our Catherine the last 5+ years has been addressed to "Katherine". I kind of think she does it on purpose though. :laughing:

13. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I grew up with a name that EVERYONE spelled wrong. There is NO D in my name :laughing:
    So I did make a point to keep the kids names simple and easy to spell. It doesn't bother me much but it would if it was close family.
    I also have to add that my very close cousin had a daughter who I am VERY VERY close too. She's now 4y but for the first year of her life I was saying her name wrong :blush: Her name is Kaylin and I was saying it Kay-lin with a pause in between and they didn't want the pause in there. I felt bad and have made a point to never say it like that again. But I honestly had no idea and until she said something I didn't even realize there was a difference.
    I would talk to them about it and let them know how you feel. Hopefully they take it well and will understand.

14. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

That is funny because we get Kaitlyn all of the time instead of Caityly. LOL Actually all three of mine get spelled wrong alot. Brianne get Breanne from my aunt and also from the dance teacher. Hayley gets Haley from my brother and dad.

I don't worry about it and they haven't so far.

15. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

Weirdly when people ask me for Brooke's name, they ask if there's an "e" at the end - I've never seen it spelled without one, but maybe someone somewhere has spelled it without an "e". It doesn't bother me, but something I didn't think would be an issue with her name sometimes creeps up.

16. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

Im recent years people have opted to use unique spelling for their childrens names to allow them to stand out. Honestly I wonder if some peoples names are spelt uniquely because their parents could not spell. People can name their children what they want but they are going to have to accept that if they choose not to use a traditional spelling, a spelling that others are used to using then they are going to have to accept that they will always have to remind people of the proper spelling of their childs name.

My children's names are spelt traditionally but because so many people are spelling names uniquely and they are accepted as a typical spelling they have had some interesting guesses made for how their names might be spelt. My nieces name is also Steffanie but is is not the same as my daughters. People have tried to spell our others daughters name as Jenafer and Jennafer. Christinas name has been misspelt Kristina. Katheine has had her name assumed to be spelt with a C

17. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

It's bothers me because we did the easiest spelling we get:
    Jazzlyn(called jazzy): jazzlin, jazzie
    Jesslyn(called jessy): jesslin, jessie, jesse

They mispell my name too it's tabatha with all As

18. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

People are always forgetting to put the H on the end of Sarah's name. And for some reason very few people spell my name right..they always want to spell it Rachael or Racheal...it just baffles me because I just assumed everyone knew how to spell Rachel from the biblical spelling, but apparently that's not very common?? But, it really don't bother me that much, especially being a teacher, I see so many different spellings of names that I get confused all the time. I have three Katelynn's on my team at school and they all three spell their names differently so I'm always getting confused, so i completely understand, even with family members, how confusing it can get.

19. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Everyone spells my name Rachel instead of Rachael. Or I get Racheal. It doesn't bother me. Occasionally someone gets it right.

Rachel, I'd say it's 70/30 in favor of your spelling, so I'm surprised you get my spelling so often. Just on TS, there are a ton of Rachels, but just me with Rachael.

As far as biblical, it apparently depends on the version.

20. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to ask if Kaydence is the new "standard spelling". At the school this year there are 3 Cadences and everyone is spelled Kaydence! (was there something in pop culture 4-6 years ago with that spelling that I missed?)

Kendra is fairy easy once people hear it though I have gotten an H on the end a time or two.

One year my sister had 4 Katelyn's in her class all spelled differently. One year, though my day, I was with Emily/Emilie/Emmaleigh/Amalee.

Sounds like "Anne with an E" Shirley has done her job well. (my middle name is Ann)

21. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Absolutely! My Rosalie's middle name is Anne, after my mother whose middle name is also Anne. But my cousis's DD is Lauren Ann. Rosalie is often called Rosa Lee (even by her own godparents) and sometimes even Rosa. We say it more like Emily is pronouced and my MIL (whose aunt Rosalie was named after) has always said it more like "Rosely." It is such a subtle difference that it's hard to correct anyone. (I actually only read Anne of Green Gables this past summer. Good thing, too, or I could be accused of trying to raise Rosalie to be the next Anne!)

After living all these years as Marcia (often spelled Marsha, often called Marseeah), I've learned that you just can't get mad about it. I tell kids at my school all the time to learn to correct people with a smile, especially when your name was chosen because it's unique.

Still, my all-time favorite is my cousin who could never get my brother Allen spelled correctly. It is a family name and her own last name!!

22. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My MIL often spells Meghan's name without the H. Megan. I have also seen people spell it Meaghan. Guess that's what happens when there are different spellings.

The thing that drives me nuts is when people call Nolan "Noah". Ummm, not his name. And I've had some people call Liam "William". Oh well...

23. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

Interestingly, this was my argument when hubby and I were going back and forth over choosing "unique" names for our boys. I'm a Sara, and between Sara and Sarah in the 80's, it was definitely about the most common name you could find. Common, and yet I have to spell it every time. What gets me is when people misspell it in an email to me... my name's right up there!!!

Anyhow, I can totally commiserate here.

24. Utopia122

I have never seen it spelled any other way in the Bible but would love to see it. I have about four different versions here and they all have it the same way. Do you know what version spells it that way? I just have never seen it and would like to look it up and see it. The Bible intrigues me enormously, especially since that's why I was named Rachel.

25. Utopia122

I have the same problem, some people call my Luke by Lucas. One family member in particular still calls him Lucas and I've told them several times that his name is Luke not Lucas. That drives me insane.

26. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

People hardly ever spell, or pronounce my name correctly. Even when I spell it out for people, they will still spell it wrong or ask me if I am sure that is how it's spelled. Yup, I'm pretty sure!! Same thing with the pronunciation. It doesn't bother me at all, and I don't even correct people that say/spell it wrong anymore.

Amazingly, I haven't noticed misspellings of my girls names (Kylee and Kaylyn), which is surprising because there are a lot of different spelling variations for both of those names.

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I get Cody,Kody, Codey, Kodie, Codi, Kodi, never really Codie, it drives me insane. The person who always writes it Codey, I believe does it on purpose, but I am ok with her doing it because she is insane and fun ;)

I have more of an issue with my last name, people spell it Riddel, Rydell or Ridel, when it is Riddell, prounouned Re-dell

28. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

People always misspell my name, Taryn, Tarren, Taran...

A few people leave the "D" out of Grandts name, which is my grandmothers maiden name.

29. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people misspell names. I guess I consider it a sign of respect to try to get it right. I will actually go back when I am replying to posts so I can see how a person's name is spelled if I forget. I ask if I am not sure because I think the spelling of a person's name is part of their identity just like the name itself.

30. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I think this is why it bugs me. I take the time to make sure I am spelling someone's name correctly and when that is not returned I feel like we are not worth the effort I guess. Especially when it comes to MIL, SIL, and the rest of their family.

I shouldn't be surprised though because SIL told me right before I married DH "I would never be friends with you if you weren't marrying my brother and my dad isn't sold on you either" :woah: . I remember the conversation vividly because I could not believe she said that to me. We are the most laid back almost boring couple we know (no smoking, drinking, partying, etc.), so I still don't know what her issue was/is. Now after 11 years of marriage and 2 years of dating I have been the only inlaw that has stuck around. I guess that says something about DH and my relationship.

31. Adding 2 more!

Adding 2 more! Well-Known Member

That is frustrating...especially from family! We have people mispronounce Evas name all the time...it is kind of like a short E as it is Spanish. People call her Eva with a long E or Ava...she corrects them now and they try harder to change! Maybe as your twins get older they will speak up to that side of the family!

32. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

okay..i'm off topic a bit here but... Not many people get that my daughters' names are Kylie and Kaylen..
    It's always, Kylie and Kaylee, or katyln..or something! lol. I didn't think it was that hard is all :blink:

But yes! It would definitely bug me if my name or childrens' names were constantly mispelled. Especially if it were by family. deep breath!

33. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how I feel also. But then again I am one who generally pays attention to things like that. For some people, it's not even on their radar.

Hey, at least they know your child's correct name. My SIL and I had a laugh over a discussion she had with my MIL the other day. My MIL insisted that Craig's name was Greg. :lol: (This had to do with something she had written down that my SIL saw.) Now to be fair to my MIL, English is not her first language and she is going on how the name sounds to her when pronounced, even though Craig and Greg don't really sound alike at all when pronounced properly. But we had a good laugh anyway. :lol:

34. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Sofia's middle name is Eva and I pronounce it with the short E as well.

35. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Lets not even go there! :laughing: