Constantly hungry

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amanda Pyle, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Amanda Pyle

Amanda Pyle New Member

I have identical twin girls. They are 6 weeks old. I delivered at 34 weeks and 2 days. At their doctor's appointment last week they were seven pounds and 3 ounces. They are already eating 4 ounces of formula every 4 to 5 hours butt they constantly seem hungry. Any idea or suggestion please help

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would move the feeding times to every 2-3 hours and maybe increase the formula intake and see if that helps.

Thomas likes this.
  3. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My boys were 33 weekers. They ate every 2 hours the first 6-8 weeks after we came home from the NICU. Then moved to every 3 hours. Keep in mind that they are just now "newborns" after adjusting for age (so 2 days old if they were born at 34 weeks) so probably need to feed more frequently.

Thomas likes this.
  4. Amanda Pyle

Amanda Pyle New Member

I have increased there feeding to every 2-3 hours and they spit up a lot now. Any suggestions?

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were spit uppers too...I made up small bottles of formula when they were that age and made them before hand and kept them refigerated. And start them off with a small amount...burp them...and continue. It did help with the spit up. Mine also had to go on similac sensitive because my daughter had a lot of gas and tummy issues as an infant.

6. MomRN

MomRN New Member

Whew! Hang in there, Momma! Your little ones might be going through a huge growth spurt. My little ones seemed to eat every 1-2hrs (1-3oz) at that age, and unfortunately, they didn't keep the same schedule = one very tired momma. My son was very spitty and we would have to hold him so his head was elevated (vs lying flat) for about 15 minutes after a feed so it wouldn't all come right back up.
    Good luck!

7. Fred Hassel

Fred Hassel New Member

I am 8 mounts pregnant.