Constipation (the babies, not me)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Neumsy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

I always used Karo syrup and warm water for Owen when he was super tiny...But the girls are constipated and I can't get Karo or any kind of corn syrup over here. Any other suggestions? I've tried the warm baths, plain water between feeds, belly and butt massages, pulling their legs back, bicycling their legs...everything I can think of! Nothing is working and it's so frustrating, as I know one 2 oz Karo bottle and they'd be right as rain. Help!

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Neumsy @ Feb 12 2009, 07:07 AM) [snapback]1187084[/snapback]
    as I know one 2 oz Karo bottle and they'd be right as rain. Help!

Try 2 oz. of pear juice, prune juice or white grape juice. I hope this helps :hug:.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We did 1/2 ounce of pear juice to 1/2 ounce of water up to 3 times a day if necessary.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 12 2009, 10:32 AM) [snapback]1187294[/snapback]
    We did 1/2 ounce of pear juice to 1/2 ounce of water up to 3 times a day if necessary.

That is what my ped suggested as well.

5. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

I used pear juice and water with the twins. Its very frustrating being over here and not having the items your used to. Thats why every other month we have either my parents or my fil send a box full of "goodies".

6. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

I used pedialite for mine. Pedi said you can use pedialite(non flavor) or prune juice...as much as they would drink or mix a few oz in bottle. Mine are on cereal for reflux so I have to give them this often to keep them from getting constipated.

7. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Im from the UK living in Spain and our pedi gave us meds to put in their bottles. What I also used to do was to give them 10mls extra water in their bottles. I FF so, for example, if DD normally took 150mls (5oz), I´d make 160mls but put the quantity of formula as if it were 150mls. I did this when mine were your age and constipated and it helped.

I hope they get some relief soon. My DS used to poop every 3-4 days. Once yours get on solids, it will be daily - tell me about it! LOL!

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also did some extra water in each bottle as the pp said, and the karo....sorry :( I hope the prune or pear juice helps, it never helped my dd!

9. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I will try the pear juice and the extra water. I've had them to the docotr and in typical UK fashion the doctor said to talk to the health visitor, and when I called her she said to talk to the doctor! *sigh*.
    Poor babies are miserable, and it's coinciding with the 6 week growth spurt, so we are CUH-RANKY at our house right now.
    I appreciate it!

10. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

So sorry your having problems with your gp and health visitor. Unfortunatly, I've found out from experiance, that you have to get an attitude with them. They just twiddle their thumbs and ignore you or take their time getting it sorted. Your babies shouldn't be suffering cause no one wants to deal with it. Thats the wonderful health care system here for ya. Unless you pay to have private, Nhs is a complete joke.
    The waiting list for a hip replacement for my dh grandmother was almost 2 years.

Don't let the gp or health visitor treat you that way. Good luck!!

11. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

Mine stay constipated. When it gets bad I put about 2 ounces of prune juice in a 6 once bottle and they go within about 3 hours. It works great!

12. nyckie024

nyckie024 Member

QUOTE(Neumsy @ Feb 12 2009, 06:07 AM) [snapback]1187084[/snapback]
    I always used Karo syrup and warm water for Owen when he was super tiny...But the girls are constipated and I can't get Karo or any kind of corn syrup over here. Any other suggestions? I've tried the warm baths, plain water between feeds, belly and butt massages, pulling their legs back, bicycling their legs...everything I can think of! Nothing is working and it's so frustrating, as I know one 2 oz Karo bottle and they'd be right as rain. Help!

Karo did not work for my daughter. she 3months I use th 1 oz prune juice with 1 oz of water.

13. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

How long without dirty diapers do you consider constipated? And at what age did you start giving them other things to help such as the prune juice?

My girls just got their first bottles of formula... my milk supply is going down. They haven't had dirty diapers since starting the formula - just now over 24 hours, but they were dirtying several diapers a day and now they seem very, very uncomfortable - pushing, grunting, and crying a lot.

14. ClareWheeler

ClareWheeler Member

you may want to try real maple syrup if you can get it, we do 1 tbs with 2 oz water. our pediatrian recommended that and it tends to help within 12 hrs. You can also try rectal stimulation with a q tip or rub vigorously with a baby wipe. You should only use the stimulation methods if the constipation gets really bad bc the babies can get used to it and only poop if you do it. good luck!

15. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

My Rigel had the same problem. Our pedi said to give him 2 oz of apple prune juice a day. Gerber makes some in 4 oz bottles so that's convienent. It helped the next day, he pooped 3 times!

I never heard of karo syrup, what is it and where do you get?

16. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

I called my doctor about this situation today. I recently started giving my daughters formula - can't quite keep up with the breastmilk - and my daughters tummies aren't liking the change. The nurse made the following suggestions for their constipation: give them water between feeds, sit them in a warm bath, use a rectal thermometer for stimulation. She also told me it's normal for infants to go 6 to 7 days without a dirty diaper - seems crazy! My girls were going several times a day when on bm alone. I'm going to try the bath and water between feedings tomorrow if they still haven't gone. They seem to be very uncomfortable.

17. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Are you breast feeding or formula ?? Breast fed babies can go 2 weeks without a bowel movement -- yes amazing but true. They use up every bit of the breast milk so nothing left. How many days has it been ? For formula babies 6 or 7 is not unusual either.

Most of the above suggestions it is sugar -- sugar pulls water to give a bowel movement. Karo is just a sugar syrup. You can use any sugar dissolved in water.

plus the fussiness can also be their age. Babies "wake up" on their due date (not their BIRTH date) and from there they increase in fussiness until they PEAK at 6 weeks (past their due date). After the 6 week peak it decreases from there. Check your calender !!!!

Also you are aware of the "witching hour" which often occurs after 6 pm and babies get fussy. All over town there are babies all being fussy just after 6 pm. My one daughter would cry for 2 hours straight and stop at 8 pm every night. Nothing we did helped. Oh except to put her on our knees on her tummy and pat her bottom.

Heather