Contemplating flying solo with twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by aandja79, Mar 27, 2009.

1. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies :)

I'm sneaking over from the first year forum as I figured you'd all have a better idea of this than I would.

In October it will be my Nana's 80th birthday, as well as my Grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. Only problem is they are in New Zealand. I've done this flight with twins and husband four times (as well as connecting flights), but unfortunately this time he can't make it due to lack of vacation time from work. His cousin wants to visit New Zealand for a couple weeks, so is available to help me one way. For me, its not worth the long journey (12 hours and then a connecting one hour flight and possible 2-3 hour layover in Auckland) and jetlag to only go for two weeks. Its taken the babies a good week both times we've been back just to get adjusted to the time difference.

Soooo..I was thinking maybe I could stay for three or four weeks, and fly back with the kids myself. They'll be 17 months old. I was thinking I'd get them their own seats (we've done the lap baby thing for 12 hours at a time and it really sucks!) and take their car seats. I could wheel them through the airport strapped to their car seats in those car seat wheel thingies (great description I know, but I've seen them around). It would be difficult doing security and loading/unloading, but I'm assuming they'll be walking fine then, and able to feed themselves relatively well.

Am I biting off way more than I can chew and losing my mind, or do you think that despite it being a (probably) very long night, that its do-able? Any suggestions, comments, experiences would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have never taken my girls on a flight but I'll just say good luck and if you decide to take them let us know how it goes!

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I think at 17 months with seats for them its doable. Yes security will be tricky, but you might be able to get a pass for someone (your DH) to accompany you to the gate to help you. Some airlines allow this. For the kiddos, bring DVDs, snacks, lovies, patience and a sense of humor :) Gl and let us know what you decide!

4. aandja79

Thanks for your replies :)
    I'm still up in the air (no pun intended!) about this, although I'm leaning towards just doing it. Its one night, and if its a disaster, at least I'll never see the other passengers again in my life!!

Any more insight (even an invisi-slap to say what are you thinking woman!!) would be appreciated.

5. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I've never taken my girls on a flight, but last summer my bff flew here from London with a 1 year old, an 8 year old, and a newborn. She had help on the trip here and was alone on the trip back and said she'd do it again. She also said it really wasn't too bad. I know that a 1 year old and a newborn are not the same as twins, but I imagine that either way it would be hard.

6. ycdent

ycdent New Member

If you decide to go, Good Luck.

I recently brought my 16 month old boys to Cabo but I had my husband there to help. I would suggest taking one of those backpack for the kids & there's a strap for you to hold on to so they dont wonder too far. When you're waiting for boarding just have them run around so they'll sleep on the flight. The other thing that was helpful for us was new toys for the flight to keep them entertained. Toys that beeps or talked was great. My kids can't quite sit still in front of the tv so dvd is out. Stickers are also good.

Again Good Luck

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

You might have a tough time finding an airline which will allow you to travel with two under 2 unassisted. I started to look into this myself (Australia to U.S.) and Emirates was one airline which allowed me to do this. Plus mine are 16 months now and only one is walking the other one is standing.

Unlike you, I haven't done the trip to know if I could handle it. I think I'd worry about "what if I need to go to the bathroom ?" or "changing both of them in that small toilet area".... Wouldn't Business Class be so nice ?? I dream of winning the lottery so I could go First Class but I didn't win the lottery this weekend so I guess I will keep dreaming.

If you do go, let me know how it all turns out for you.

Heather

8. aandja79

QUOTE(heathertwins @ Mar 29 2009, 06:03 AM) [snapback]1248888[/snapback]
    You might have a tough time finding an airline which will allow you to travel with two under 2 unassisted. I started to look into this myself (Australia to U.S.) and Emirates was one airline which allowed me to do this. Plus mine are 16 months now and only one is walking the other one is standing.

Unlike you, I haven't done the trip to know if I could handle it. I think I'd worry about "what if I need to go to the bathroom ?" or "changing both of them in that small toilet area".... Wouldn't Business Class be so nice ?? I dream of winning the lottery so I could go First Class but I didn't win the lottery this weekend so I guess I will keep dreaming.

If you do go, let me know how it all turns out for you.

Heather

I'm definitely still thinking (going to give it a few weeks, keep talking to people etc) so I'm not decided yet, but with regards to flying with two under the age of two, it should be fine if the babies aren't travelling as infants - in other words, you need an adult to fly with each "lap baby", but if you're paying for a seat for each of them then it shouldn't be a problem.

The bathroom thing is definitely one I'm still thinking about. If they were sleeping, I could easily have a flight attendant watch them for a couple minutes. Changing nappies is another thing though, as both of mine hate plane bathrooms (the air conditioning for some stupid reason always seems to be right above the changing table, go figure). They normally don't get changed at all at night, so there should only be one quick change for each of them in the morning, although obviously that could change.

Ahhh, yes the joys of business class. We always sit near the front of the plane when we fly, and they shut the curtains to business class, yet you can see through the gaps that there is generally no one flying there. What difference would it make to them if some of us just snuck up there for a little snooze on those big cushy chairs with plenty of leg room and lots of recline ability? Not asking for the food or champagne, just a loan of a chair. The irony of it is that last time I was flying I heard the flight attendant complain how lonely it gets working up there.