cooking chicken

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tdhillon, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tdhillon

tdhillon Well-Known Member

I am trying to cook chicken for my LOs and don't know if it is better to bake, fry, cook on the stove top. I would like to puree the chicken afterwards so I am looking for a way that it will be tender and juicy. Any suggestions? I tried looking on the web, but just keep finding stuff on how to puree and not really on cooking the chicken properly.

Thanks!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm..I would just bake it. Have you tried giving them small pieces of the chicken, without pureeing it? I only ask because I see that they are nine months old. You may want to try! I did all their meats as table food-never pureed my own or bought jarred baby meat. So at nine months-they had meatballs, chicken, turkey, etc. I just made sure to have it really small. They loved it! Might save a step for you too! :)

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you asked! I was wondering the exact same thing! :)

4. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

I would say bake it as well, or you could crockpot a whole chicken but I agree with Meg, you should try little bite size pieces, my two love diced up chicken!

5. tdhillon

tdhillon Well-Known Member

I know there is another post talking about bite size and many pp are saying the size of a cheerio. Would that be good? I am just so scared to try it. :unsure:

6. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

By 9 months, mine were eating cheerios and small pieces of pretty much everything. They really like trying to put the food in their mouths themselves.

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I always did chicken poached to start off with. That keeps it really moist and it's easy and quick to do (you can poach a chicken breast in under 10 minutes). Then I would just puree it with as much of the cooking liquid as I needed. I always served it mixed in with vegetables, sweet potato and/or carrots go well to start off with.

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I never pureed chicken, but at 9-10 months I would give my guys chicken off our plates (like rotisserie chicken) and shred it. If you shred it with a couple of forks, it would be almost impossible to choke on. :)

9. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I always just bought the bags of frozen, skinless chicken breasts or tenders and then boiled them until done. I just boiled them in water, but you could also do vegetable or low sodium chicken broth and then dice or puree after. Boiling leaves the chicken very tender and juicy, I also do this before BBQ or frying chicken.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can also try ground chicken... it's good to introduce new textures for them to figure out!

11. twinletmommy

twinletmommy Well-Known Member

Hello!

So when I first introduced chicken it was ground chicken. I used the crockpot, put water, ground chicken, sweet potatoes and peas. I left it overnight, and in the morning I used the hand blender to puree it to whatever thickness was appropriate. I froze remaining portions.

Recently I have noticed that they have been willing to try larger peices, so I bake chicken (marinate with yogurt, garlic, ginger, tomamto paste and what ever else you want)The yogurt helps keep it moist. I bake with foil or the glass cover over. When the chicken is done, with my fingers I break off a peice, and kind or mush or seperate the chicken with my hand, and give it too them.

My little ones aren't ready for bigger peices yet. They take Mummums and Gerber Wobbly Wheels well, but not too much else.

You could also make your own shake and bake with bread crumbs(the boxed variety may have too much sodium), and try to mush small chicken peices with your fingers.

TM :)