Could DD be allergic to Mylicon?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JoyX2, Dec 18, 2008.

1. JoyX2

JoyX2 Well-Known Member

My youngest DD has been a really gassy baby ever since she was born. We put her on a lactose-free formula which is helping a lot, but she still gets her gassy irritable episodes every once in a while. But whenever I give her a dose of Mylicon for it (I give her the minimum dose), it makes her even more irritable and about 10 minutes later she will start arching her back and crying, then she throws up. She's normally not much of a spit-up baby and has never had problems with or been diagnosed with reflux. The only time her milk ever comes back up that much is after a dose of Mylicon. I wonder if she could have an allergy to it? Any similar experiences? At any rate, it never helps her so I'm going to stop giving it to her.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's possible, I had the same thing with my girls. Everyone thought I was crazy, but if I put mylicon in their bottles they didn't want it or would spit up a lot afterward. Mylicon did not agree with my girls. Switching to a new formula helped with gas, but Mylicon didn't work for us.

3. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

She certainly could. I would recommend calling the pedi.

4. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

You know, even when my babies seemed gassy, I just always thought mylicon was a kind of snake oil. I've known way too many people with cranky babies that parents quickly deem the crankiness due to gas. . . and they think mylicon or the like is the answer.

What makes one baby gassier than another? Or abnormally gassy? I've never read a clear definition. . . I always thought some spitting up was normal, and I've seen babies uncomfy after a feed and needing burping/or passing gas.

If my baby spit it up, I would certainly contact doc and not give anymore. I do hope things turn out well!

5. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, yes I think it's possible. My DD developed a red rash around her mouth after I gave her Mylicon (it would last for 15-20 minutes). I called my ped and they said it would be really unusual to have a reaction to Mylicon. I was told to keep an eye on it. I took the mylicon and drew a line around her mouth area. Within a few minutes, it turned bright red, so we knew it was the problem. I can't give it to her anymore. She never threw up. If she has gas now, we have to do all of the manual stuff to help her (lay her on her tummy and pat her back, etc). HTH, Beth