Could it really be sun sickness?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Dec 25, 2008.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought we had this beat. So much for thinking positively! Nicholas has at times, gotten sick in the car. The first time? On the way to the airport for when we left for Italy(almost 9 months old; just over an hour car ride). The 2nd time? On the way home FROM the airport, after an extremely LONG day, stuck in dead traffic in Boston and him screaming uncontrollably in the back seat-throwing up, choking, oh...you can only imagine the madness and the crazy mom on the side of the road!

It happened once on the way home from the mall(20 minutes or so). Once we drove up the highway for a nap as we had a Dr's appt. Once we got off the highway-he hurled everywhere. No extra clothes-except the brand new ones in the bag luckily! So-he's done it about 4-6 times thus far since 9 months old. Oh-and we had taken 2 hour drives before they were 9 months old with no problem.

The last epidsode was in August. Until today. Christmas. We drove to my brothers house-2 hours away. Nicholas fell asleep as it was naptime, the sun woke him a short 30 minutes later and he was doing GREAT. As SOON as we got off the highway-he threw up EVERYWHERE! The stench was unbelievable. The poor kid was covered in throw up. I felt so bad. We had to change him-thank goodness I had pj's with me. He also froze his tail off as he was changed in the trunk while I attempted to clean the car seat. He was totally fine after that-which he always is.

Up until this point-they have been rear-facing. I pray to God that moving him forward facing(I was waiting for as long as possible) is going to stop this. However, dh thinks it might be the sun beating down on him. Could it really be? I will hate to take car rides of any length if he's going to get sick. That's no fun. I'll be paranoid and suffering from anxiety if we go anywhere!

And the worst part? There's nothing you can really do! So if anyone has advice/helpful hints/ or just wants to join in and commiserate with me-go right ahead! Thanks! :)

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Forward facing should help tremendously. Also, make sure he isn't too warm. If you're worried he's going to hurl, make or buy a water resistant cover to put over the car seat and under him then something else you can put over him (a huge bib or something like that). Those things should help with clean up if it doesn happen. I have two that have gotten car sick occasionally and it is NOT fun to deal with! Good luck and hopefully he grows out of it quickly!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sister's oldest used to be fine in the car until she got to a certain point in the trip. The sun would be shining in his eyes and he would throw up. The pedi said he was probably getting migraines from the sun and to put sunglasses on him for the ride. This worked.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(moski @ Dec 26 2008, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1122374[/snapback]
    My sister's oldest used to be fine in the car until she got to a certain point in the trip. The sun would be shining in his eyes and he would throw up. The pedi said he was probably getting migraines from the sun and to put sunglasses on him for the ride. This worked.

Really? Wow! So my dh might actually have something on this?? Odd! I just won't tell him he could be right! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I need to make a big bag of extra stuff for long car rides-and trash bags and the like. I can't tell you how many times that carseat has been thrown up on! Yuck!

5. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

We had one that would throw up in car rides less than 10 minutes. I linked it to the combination of windy roads, maybe the sun, but mostly the cup of yogurt or milk that we had prior to leaving/drinking in the car.

I have stopped giving milk in the car and we haven't had an instance in at least 6 months (knocking on wood) - we still do all sorts of trips in the car on a regular basis.

Maybe something about being overheated with the milk in the belly is too much for them? I now have extra wipes, paper towels, and plastic baggies in the car at all times. I try to always remember extra clothes when we are traveling anyway.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(megkc03 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:09 AM) [snapback]1122382[/snapback]
    Really? Wow! So my dh might actually have something on this?? Odd! I just won't tell him he could be right! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I need to make a big bag of extra stuff for long car rides-and trash bags and the like. I can't tell you how many times that carseat has been thrown up on! Yuck!

I have one who gets car sick on windy roads or roads that go up and down real quick so you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach. We found this out the hard way on a 12 hour drive to California this summer. The poor kid was miserable the entire 45 minutes we were on an up and down road, moaning and whimpering.

She also hates the sun on her face in the car so I cover the window with a receiving blanket. This takes two people. Start up the car and roll down the window. Have the other person drape a blanket on the inside of the window with just a small part (very small) sticking out. Hold on to the sticking out part from the outside and have the driver roll the window up. This works great for us and we do this on every trip over 1/2 hour.

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I was thinking perhaps the sun makes him too warm - I get carsick VERY easily (in fact if the trip is more than an hour I generally drive) and one thing that makes me sicker faster is to be warm...

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Do you have shades on the rear windows? Like the kind you can stick on the windows? Try that if the sun is bothering him.

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your dilemma-- poor little guy, and poor parents!!

I can't say I have any first-hand experience, but a few things you might try...

I have many friends whose kids are much happier forward-facing for whatever reason. We just recently switched our kids to forward-facing and the one thing I do know is that they get better air circulation in our SUV. Depending on whether you have rear vents or not, that might help him to feel better.

I would also make sure that when he is in the car, he isn't all bundled up-- that can make you feel really yucky. Maybe just a light shirt and pants, socks, but no shoes (my boys get overheated feet really easily, too).

Also, we have shades on our car-- the kind that attaches with static cling. You can cut it to exactly fit all of your windows and we literally have it on all of them, for the boys' sake. It's not as nice-looking as professional window tint, but it does the job and protects the kids from our glaring AZ sunshine. THESE are the ones we have.

Good luck! I hope you figure out something that helps him to feel better!!