Could someone please help me with ideas......

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Jul 8, 2009.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My DS is 2 1/2 and my girls are almost 17 months and we have every toy possible in this house, but they are simply bored and lose interest quickly. I am terrible at coming up with ideas of new things for them to do. Does anyone have any ideas of what activites etc. I can do to keep them entertained. They do play great by themselves and sometimes together, don't get me wrong I DO NOT entertain them 24/7. Thanks so much!

2. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of books by Trish Kuffner (I think?) that I'd recommend -- The Toddler's Busy Book and The Preschooler's Busy Book.

They both have easy and fun ideas that are inexpensive....I lack imagination in this area, so I've used a lot of ideas from these books!

Basic things, like stringing Cheerios together to make a necklace, and then letting the kids eat them, etc.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

This isn't quite what you asked, but FWIW -- I found that they played a lot better with their toys if I put away all but a few. If there are a dozen things sitting around, they will ignore all of them. But if there's one toy out (especially if you put it somewhere it doesn't usually live, like on the couch or the dining room chair or something), they'll make a beeline for it and play with it for quite awhile. At least that was true for my DDs. It can be a pain to always be putting some toys away and taking other ones out, but it was worth it.

4. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You might find a few activities at Teaching Tiny Tots. It has activities starting from one year and up....crafts, recipes, simple science and math ideas and a new active toddler section. I add new activities almost daily!

[​IMG]Here is an example...Colored Pasta

Hope that helps!
    Sharon :)

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with Alden. My girls lose interest if they have all their toys out. But if I put most away, suddenly they play with what they have and when they lose interest I bring out different ones.

As for things to do, my girls LOVE art projects. Paints, side walk chalk, crayons, putting stickers on things (we made telescopes out of toilet paper tubes and stickers- they played with those for a whole day going on safaris!), gluing, etc etc. Playdoh is also fun... use cookie cutters to make things.

The hose and some cups and bowls out in the backyard is always a huge hit too.

Tea party on the lawn with their dolls.

Library story time.

Park.

Beach.

I can't think of anything else right now.... HTH!

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I was going to recomend Sharon's site, but see beat me to it!

7. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

It must be super hard to get out with all of them, but is there a fenced in park by you?

Pps have awesome ideas...

Big hits with us: drawing with markers (washable!!!!!)

Playing with water: put a few inches in the tub and let them go nuts with ladles, colanders, cups, etc. Or do this outside - fill up a big stock pot from the hose and let them go at it.

You could also try to model simple games/ways to play. My twins go nuts right now just going on opposite sides of a glass door and saying "HI!" You can initiate stuff like that to get them started. You can get down and play with their toys with them for a few minutes to give them ideas - not sitting there entertaining them, but actually playing yourself and talking about what you're doing. They'll probably copy you and be better able to entertain themselves after you spend a couple minutes doing it.

Good luck! I hope something works out for you.

8. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Somethings we do to keep them entertained:

Toddler Tent: Throw a sheet over your DR table and put pillows in there. Give them a flashlight and some books.
    Crayola Color Wonder: The markers that only mark on the color wonder paper. My DD loves to color and draw.
    Bubbles: I get tired of blowing them, but they love it.

We do alot of outside play in the water...either waterhoses or kiddie pool. It is soooo hot here!

Muffin Tins: Pull out some muffin tins and some noodles and tell them to sort. This will keep mine entertained for a good 20-30 minutes.
    Pudding Painting: I don't trust mine with finger paints yet. They would probably still try and eat it (at least DS would). Give them some chocolate pudding and some paper and let them go to town. It is messy but fun for them.
    Cup towers: Give them a stack of paper cups and tell them to build towers.

9. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

Thanks Melissa!!!! I really appreciate that you were thinking of sharing my site. :)

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you will come out with a kindergarten version soon! ;)