Counting kicks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by JessicaHollenbeck, Aug 29, 2013.

Hi ladies!
    How did some of you count kicks? I feel like it's so hard at times distinguishing between the twins (I am having fraternal twins B/G) today I counted their kicks from 9:32 am to 11am the boy had 13 and the girl had 10. It seems their activity level varies day to day. I am currently 25 weeks. Did any of you experience this? I feel like it's making me more crazy and stressed out!
    Thanks [​IMG]

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations for your twins! I never bothered to count kicks or anything like that. It's hard to know who's who, even if one is on the one side and one on the other, they can stretch their legs or arms. If one has a placenta that faces your back and his/her back is towards your belly, maybe you don't feel the kicks so much. Plus I noticed with mine, my son was more active early in the morning, my daughter was more active late at night - so true to their personalities, now at almost 3 he's an early bird and she's a night owl :). My OB never made me count kicks for the reasons I stated above. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, I hope you can make it as close as possible to full term.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I never counted kicks, either. I just tried to be aware of general movement and to know when they were more active.

Congrats and welcome to Twinstuff!

3. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I never counted either. I could never tell who was who!

Congrats and welcome !

4. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I counted kicks, just did my best. It is a valuable tool in preventing still birth so I wouldn't give up just because you're not sure 100% who is who. Ask your doctor or midwife if you need more help, though, or what their expectations are with twins.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I could tell mine apart quite well (they never changed positions and one often had very hard short kicks and the other mostly long stretchy movements) but I never counted kicks, just made sure I was aware of movement in general from both kids on and off during the day. That is also what my doctor wanted for twin pregnancies. But I agree - discuss this with your doctor or midwife and ask for their guidance if it is stressful for you.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congrats & welcome to Twinstuff! I was told by my doctor that counting kicks with twins is impossible. It could be one kicking the other, which kicks you... and so on. It is not accurate. Just make sure they are both moving around.. if you can. :)