craft for winter party at school

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One of my girl's winter school party is 12/19. I saw these really cute penguin thermometer magnet craft. that I thought would be cuter since their school mascot is a Penguin. The other class mom said we could not get them since the hat looks like a santa hat. Figured I would ask your opinions.

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

It looks like a regular red hat to me!!!

Santa hats have pom poms on the end...not fuzzy strands all over the top. Nor does Santa's hat have stripes on around the crown. Often Santa hats droop a bit as well- like a sleep cap. The only thing in common in that hat and a Santa Hat is that they are red.

I am all for either options public schools tend to go toward: a multicultural Holiday Celebration with a bit of all celebrations that people may celebrate or a purely Winter Celebration (snowflakes and snowmen)--- but to object to a hat just because it is red (which Santa happens to have a red hat but other than that they do not look alike at all! ) is silly!

THe penguin is black/white and the accents are blue.....so for contrast the creators of the craft probably wanted a bright color. Pink would be objected to by boys, orange is more Halloween-y, yellow is just not very wintery. Purple is too much like blue.....so you are left with red, green, or brown for the basic colors. Or use blue again.

That crafts looks like a winter craft.....that is all. At least to me. :unknw:

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Looks like a winter craft to me. That hat just looks like a winter hat, Santa hats are longer and have a pom pom and fur on them.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Totally not a Santa hat. If I were you, I'd get her a side by side comparison. I would never look at that and think, "omg! That's Santa's hat!"

5. ljcrochet

I'm so glad it is not just me. I'm wondering if it was because she was looking at it on her phone? I'll have to call her tonight. I'm still trying to figure out the big deal if it was a Santa hat. Considering I know last year the craft one of my girls did was a snowman ornament.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto the others, that looks like a toque (or toboggan here in the south), and not a santa hat!

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

She needs to Chill Out and look closely at the hat.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's not a Santa hat, but even if it was.. like, really?

9. ljcrochet

Here is the text I just got from her
    it looks like a santa hat to me!

I'm going to let the other class mom take care if the craft and go to the party.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:search: :blink:

11. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'm chiming in to say, What?! She sounds ridiculous. And you can't rationalize with crazy people.

2 people like this.
  12. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is a toque for sure.

If you are still planning on using Oriental Trading, there are lots of other penguin foamy crafts on there. Some with the "santa" hat, others not.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I'm with kendra

14. ECUBitzy

Crazy Canadian, it's called a toboggan.

15. TwinxesMom

Crazy a toboggan is a sled....

3 people like this.
  16. ECUBitzy

Or beanie. Beanie would be acceptable.

1 person likes this.
  17. TwinxesMom

Okay beanie is acceptable

18. ljcrochet

I delegated so I'm not longer getting the craft. I'll be stuck with the spring craft instead. Good thing with that is there are no holiday's to have to avoid.

19. ECUBitzy

Easter. :tomato:

20. ljcrochet

thanks. I was thinking spring totally forgetting about Easter eggs and bunnies. I wondering if i can delegate another party.[​IMG]

21. ECUBitzy

"Um, I think that penguin's body too closely resembles an egg. I'm afraid we can't use that." Snort.

I'm not laughing at you, I promise. It's just so silly.

22. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Spring is easy - flowers. Though not lilies. Too connected to Easter.

1 person likes this.
  23. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I think the mom needs to take a lesson from the wording on that craft.

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's what I was going to say!!

25. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am 100% Southern and I have never, ever, EVER heard of it being called a toboggan. I think you are insane. It's not a southern thing. It must be a Carolina thing. I doublechecked with my husband who is 50% Southern and he's never heard of it either. Beanie or cap work though.

26. ECUBitzy

Um, Florida isn't southern. It's redneck. I'm sorry you're not cultured in the genteel ways of the finer portion of our great nation.

1 person likes this.
  27. becasquared

Ummm, it's "Cracker" not redneck. When I wiki-ed Southern American English, there was a segment on Florida Cracker accents. But when I wiki-ed "toboggan" there wasn't a segment on a hat.

So I'm right on two parts. Florida is Southern, at least in the accent, and a toboggan is only a sled. It might be the only two things I'm right on today, but dangit, at least Wiki agrees with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toboggan

Oh, three things. You *are* insane. :wub: But I love you anyway.

28. ECUBitzy

Ahem, I need to direct you here, madam:

29. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lol...I was gonna say she didn't scroll far enough. :laughing:

30. becasquared

But that's not toboggan, that's toboggan (hat).

That's a totally different entry. Didn't someone earlier in this thread say something like you can't reason with crazy? I wonder who that could have been. . . :catfight:

2 people like this.
  31. ECUBitzy

Ah, thanks for this. I certainly look crazy sitting at my desk, laughing at my computer screen. :D

32. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I agreed with the others does not look like a "Santa' hat at all. Its so sad that our children generations' has changed so much with 'Christmas vs. Holiday and all of the other things as well too.

33. ljcrochet

I don't know if i ever updated. I sent the link of the craft to the class mom that was in charge of buying the craft for the party. She liked it and purchased it for the party. I was then talking to the class mom's in Sydney's class and turns out they picked out the same craft. I also think a girl in Sydney's class said her mom bought the craft for the kids to do for her birthday this week.
    Here is a picture of Sydney with the craft.