Creating a twin baby registry

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by melstofko, Jun 19, 2008.

1. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I was hoping that you ladies could help me out. I am starting my registeries (Babiesrus & Target) and was hoping that you could give me some ideas on things that you could not have lived without the first year. Also is there anything that you did not register for that you wished you had? Thanks.

2. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your pregnancy!

We registered for FAR more receiving blankets than we needed - which could be a good thing if you get gift receipts and can take things back! :)

I've LOVED having swings for the boys - they both seem very content to swing themselves to sleep. I also really like having the Avent bottle sterilizer (I BF, but give 2 bottles of EBM too). Along with this, it's nice to have a drying rack specifically designed for the bottles and nipples.

Because I'm a FTM, I don't have any comparison with our registries and a singleton registry...

A word of advice about Target - make sure you request gift receipts, as Target's return policy is horrible. You're only able to return 2 items w/in a calendar year w/o a receipt. I've wound up returning things to Wal-Mart that were probably purchased at Target, simply because Wal-Mart takes just about anything back. ;) HTH!

Becky

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

There is a Sticky at the top of the Expecting Twins Forum that has an excellent list of things to get for twins. Have fun with your registry!

4. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Hi there!!!

Here are a few top things

10+ bottles (i forumula feed)
    Boppys
    swings
    bouncy seats (VERY important!)
    lots & lots of burp cloths
    onesies
    footed snap up PJ's
    kiddopotamus swaddle me blankets
    pack & play (I got 2 of the smaller sized graco ones - the girls slept together in one in the bassinet part of it for the first month or so) We had one upstairs in our room & one downstairs in the family room.

I think there is a great list of 'must haves' somewhere in the 'expecting forum' stickys??? I went off of that :)

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

DIAPERS!!!!!

6. Jhstobe@earthlink.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I followed the recommended list but there were things that I found myself needing in the beginning and that I had not registered for. In the beginning I always wished for more outfits with feet in them because socks would not stay on their tiny little feet. I also wished I would had something like this sleep positioner http://www.babysupermarket.com/baby/produc...ey_id=6256&
    My son ended up with a flat spot and is in a helmet now and I wonder now if he started out using something like this if it would have made a difference. Probably not but I wish I would have had it, it would have made me feel a little better now. LOL Other things are BPA free bottles, I got Avent bottles that were not BPA free and I was unaware of the issue. Sound machine, and a cool mist humidifier

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I agree with the receiving blankets...we got way too many and now have no use for them. I wish I had registered for an exersaucer, but we ended up having 2 handed down to us. They just are missing toys.

I also wish I had checked Craigslist more and bought more things used. If you don't get some big items (like swings/jumperoo/toys/etc) check there before buying new ones.

I would second Rachel in the registering for diapers! Beware that BRU now has a 90 day return policy so be careful there too!

8. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

If I had to do it again, all I would have registered for is DIAPERS and FORMULA! :D

9. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

don't forget wipes too!

10. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Burp clothes are great, you can use them for messes forever. The recieving blankets, you can cut them up and use them for spills around the house too! I wouldn't waste time with a bottle warmer when you have two babies because they take for what seems like forever when they are both crying. I know alot of people told me not to get two swings or bouncies but we did and I am so glad because although they didnt' like them at first they did a week later and we wouldn't have survived with one of each. I have an extensive list too if you would like it PM me and I will email it to you!

11. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I have a friend expecting twin girls so I've actually been keeping a list for her. I'm skipping the basics they are listed in the sticky in the expecting forum and were very helpful. This is more stuff we would have done differently had we known what we know now. Hope it helps-
    • Check the size on the receiving blankets and register for some larger ones (36x36). Helps with swaddling when they get bigger.
    • Boppy Newborn Lounger (x2 if you can) - this was new when we were registering and I love it way more than the regular boppy pillows
    • Skip the twin pack n play and get one or two regular ones (Craigslist is great for this stuff too). Sheets for this too.
    • Lots of bouncy seats (we have 2 in LR, 2 in playroom by kitchen, one in computer room, one in the bathroom (Craigslist again $10 like new)
    • Don't stock up on bottles without receipts - we tried everything found one then switched again.
    • Diapers - same as bottles though. You might register for one or two pkgs of each brand so you can try them all then decide. Don't worry about having too many diapers. I can't really imagine that with twins, unless it's the Preemie size.
    • My DH loves the zip up sleepers and they are great for Dr appts by yourself.
    • Bibs, bibs and more bibs. Tiny bibs, terry bibs, plastic backed terry bibs and just the plastic/rubber bibs. You can't have enough.
    • Dreft if you are going to use it - that stuff is expensive.
    • If breastfeeding or pumping - Pumping parts and accessories (car/battery adapter, extra shields, valves, tubes, bigger bottles) all this added up quickly for me. Don't be embarrased either. I was and after they are born, you will be amazed at who you will be talking to about breastfeeding or pumping.
    • Baby Tylenol, gas medicine, gripe water - we went through gas medicine and gripe water like crazy the first three months.
    • Camera, video camera, photo printer, paper, ink. We registered for a nice photo printer on a whim and it was the first thing purchased from our registry. It was purchased by the computer nerds my DH works with. I can say that cause I'm one too.
    • Toys - everyone wants to buy baby toys so pick out what you want!
    Also, register for everything you can at Target - almost everyone bought from that registry. Go register early so you can do it in the store. I thought I was going so early at 23 weeks and ended up on bedrest the next weekend. I was so glad I was able to do some in the store. I finished up online but I like to touch everything :p .

ETA - grammar fix

12. melstofko

QUOTE(bstone716 @ Jun 19 2008, 11:51 AM) [snapback]835074[/snapback]
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

We registered for FAR more receiving blankets than we needed - which could be a good thing if you get gift receipts and can take things back! :)

I've LOVED having swings for the boys - they both seem very content to swing themselves to sleep. I also really like having the Avent bottle sterilizer (I BF, but give 2 bottles of EBM too). Along with this, it's nice to have a drying rack specifically designed for the bottles and nipples.

Because I'm a FTM, I don't have any comparison with our registries and a singleton registry...

A word of advice about Target - make sure you request gift receipts, as Target's return policy is horrible. You're only able to return 2 items w/in a calendar year w/o a receipt. I've wound up returning things to Wal-Mart that were probably purchased at Target, simply because Wal-Mart takes just about anything back. ;) HTH!

Becky

Thanks for reminding me about the horrible return policy!! We had soooo many problems returning things from my last baby shower <_<

13. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I wish we had registered for less receiving blankets (we registered 20 and then ended up using Halo blankets instead) and more burp cloths (we registered for 10 or so - you go through them so fast). I would suggest registering for Halo type blankets or miracle blankets with the swaddle piece. Loved the swaddle...especially the first couple of months!

14. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

We definitely have bought used items from Craigslist and my local MOMs group which has saved us hundreds :)

Kiddopotomus swaddles (they have velcro, our babies break out of everything else--we bought fleece and cotton ones)

Kiddopotamus Velboa Snuzzler http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299911 (these are by far the most supportive, you can use them in carseats, the BOB, swings, bouncies, anything their little head flops in!)

cloth diapers (we use them on top of the changing table because they get soiled about 6 times a day)

diaper champ (we have this and diaper genie and DC is easier and uses regular kitchen bags

motherhood nursing nightgown with built-in sleep bra (so you can put pads in there)

nursing sleep bra (to wear with anything that doesn'th ave a built-in (I got Medela on gaponline but saw Target has them too)

nursing pads (I like the Johnson's contoured ones)

bouncy seat (the Boppy brand seat can be bounced with a foot and has good white noise (we needed two)

boppy infant lounger (for easy plopping)

some kind of tummy time mat

white noise CD (we have For Crying Out Loud) or white noise machine (like Marpac sleepmate)

Pampers swaddlers (I like these better than Huggies)

Vaseline and soft tissue (we were told to use this when they got a diaper rash to keep the dirtiness from sitting on their skin)

Mylecon drops (if he gets gassy)

Detergent without dyes and color, like All Free and Clear, CostCo makes one too

Receiving blankets for spit-up, etc

Waterproof mattress pads (2)

3 crib sheets

Don't buy clothes--we have clothes they've never even been able to wear and have outgrown!! Everyone buys you clothes.

15. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I'll third the boppy newborn lounger. I ended up having to FF (didn't plan on that) and mine were too small for regular boppys at first. So I got the loungers and they work great!

16. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I have loved the boppies for dual feeding, two swings (I have the rinforest ones that fold up), two bouncies, diapers, wipes, playtex drop in bottles, bottle liners, two car seats, playmat, footy sleepers, onsies, snap front tee shirt, double snap n go stroller.

Jen

17. melstofko

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have a lot of work ahead of me :D

18. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mstofko21 @ Jun 20 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]837254[/snapback]
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have a lot of work ahead of me :D

The registry is the easy part!! :laughing: