Crib Bumper Safety Alert

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jordari, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

Below is link to article that says that many child safety organizations (American Academy of Pediatricians among them) are saying that crib bumpers are NOT safe; they originated when crib slats were far enough apart that babies could get their heads stuck, but now that all cribs should have slats where this doesn't pose a problem, the bumpers themselves increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation, etc..

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsan...umpersafety.htm

2. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

Below is link to article that says that many child safety organizations (American Academy of Pediatricians among them) are saying that crib bumpers are NOT safe; they originated when crib slats were far enough apart that babies could get their heads stuck, but now that all cribs should have slats where this doesn't pose a problem, the bumpers themselves increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation, etc..

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsan...umpersafety.htm

3. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been debating about this for awhile. They're so darn cute, but it doesn't seem like they're necessary. Anyways, since I'm making their bedding, it's just less work for me!

4. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

we used mesh bumpers after they started getting their arms and legs stuck in the slats. i don't know what the experts think of them, but we couldn't keep waking up to purple arms and legs!

5. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

Great idea Jordari! I think I'm going to do that now. Thanks!

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I had never seen or heard of bumper pads before moving to the States ... doesn't exist in Europe ...

7. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I don't believe in bumper pads or even blankets in a crib for a smaller baby. My son had to wear a fleece sleep sac. The only bedding I bought was crib sheets. I will say Fay is right...it is scary if an arm pops out of the crib and you wake up to see that. I have never heard of mesh bumpers before that post.

8. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member