Crib bumper safety?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Raneysmama, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I used a crib bumper with DD #1, but now I've heard that they are not very safe. Do you know anything about this? Do you use bumpers? So far my girls have slept in a co-sleeper, but I'm wanting to set their crib up just so it's ready...and maybe to use it for some naps. Any advice on whether to use bumpers or not? Thanks!

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Bumpers are apparently dangerous! Breathable bumpers are safe (I have one for sale fyi) because they are made of breathable material and this fluffy but breathable padding.

3. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

We had a bumper, but mainly for "looks". As soon as Will started rolling, he was mashing his face in the bumper. We QUICKLY removed them. I think that as long as they are pretty much "blobs" and not moving, the bumpers should be fine. But really at that point they are only for looks. I really think that it was a waste of $$ for us.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would go with the breathable bumpers like Jenny mentioned.

5. takeluck

takeluck Well-Known Member

We didn't do bumpers. We do get the occasional leg stuck in the slats. No big deal. When I was a baby my parents found me hanging by my head, my whole body was out! :icon_eek:

6. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

We had super-cute bumpers in their cribs originally. After reading some posts about Breathable Bumpers and the possibility of SIDS, I went out right away and bought them and changed them out. I think they were $25 a piece at BRU. I am so glad I did because as soon as my little guys started moving around in their cribs, I've caught them face-planted right into them!

Thankfully, the material does what is says it does and I feel a little bit better about their safety.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

You have to decide what you are comfortable with. I wasn't terribly afraid of SIDS (no more than a healthy level of awareness), and I chose to use regular bumpers. But, my girls didn't sleep in their cribs at all until about 4 months anyway. When they did, they always scooted on their backs until the tops of their heads were pressed up against the bumper, and I thought they'd be uncomfy pressing against the bars.

I did look into breathable bumpers (though that wouldn't have provided any padding either), but they wouldn't work with our cribs because they have solid ends.

Anyway, from what I've read, having a smoker in the home (or smoking during pregnancy) and putting the baby to sleep on its stomach are by far the biggest SIDS risks.

8. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

We had breathable bumpers for our son's crib, still on there at 10 1/2 months old. He went to his crib at 4 months. He also started stomach sleeping at that time, he slept in our room until he was 6 months old and never had an issue with tummy sleeping.

The twins will have most likely breathable bumpers as well.

9. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I chose not to use them. I have heard about a risk of suffocation. While I'm sure that's a rare thing, I just didn't want to take any chances. I am over-cautious by nature so I didn't need something else to worry about. My girls have been in their cribs for almost 7 months and have only gotten their legs through a handful of times.

10. dhubof

dhubof Well-Known Member

My girls are 10 weeks old. I had to take them off last week. They are moving around that much! My little Lauren got her leg stuck one night already, but I didn't want to chance it.

11. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Thanks...I guess when we start them in the crib we'll try no bumpers. I guess legs sticking out here and there isn't too big of a deal. :)

12. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I used bumpers the three years K&K were in cribs. I agree it is all in what you are comfortable with. When K&K got mobile I weaved the bumper in and out of the slats. It took a little trial and error to figure out how many in and how many out to get all the way around but it worked for us.

13. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

We used the crib shield system from walmart.com with Kaylee, our oldest dd, & we ordered another one to use with her old one so we have one on each of the cribs now for the twins. I love them. They are wonderful. We have the full size ones.

14. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

we started out with the "pretty" bumpers but once they were moving around, we switched to the mesh ones. then, once they had good control of themselves and we felt secure that they could adjust themselves in their crib, we put the pretty ones back on. the mesh bumpers were such a pain in the a$$ IMO. they kept sliding down everytime the baby put the slightest weight on them so they were getting body parts stuck anyway. they love the bumpers they have back on and they are always snuggled up against them when they sleep.

15. Phia713

Phia713 Well-Known Member

Like one of the PPs, I co-slept with the girls until they were about 6 months, then they went into their cribs with bumpers. They had no problems with the bumpers until they started to step on the side facing out. However, based on how the room is set up, on the wall side of the cribs, there is an outlet (with a safety cover on it). So to hide it from the girls, I removed the front part of the bumper and doubled it up on the back side of the crib.

16. infinity62202

infinity62202 Well-Known Member

I am so torn with this one.
    Does anyone have any proof where there have been cases of suffocation??
    I feel like this is an urban legend that just gets passed around, but I am not willing to take a chance.
    Please share if you have any info on this, ie articles or anything.

17. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

Well, my ped said not to use them. We used the full size cribshield mesh bumper system. It covers the entire portion of each side of the crib. It doesn't slide down at all...or didn't for us. Good luck!