Crib Bumpers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AmberG, Apr 21, 2010.

1. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Until what age did you/will you use crib bumpers? I was thinking of giving baby #3 (who is coming in Sept.) my DD's crib bedding set. However, DD seems to love her bumper and often sleeps cuddled up next to it. Would it be weird to buy a new bumper for a toddler? They have some cute ones for $20 at Target.

2. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

We stopped using bumpers when the girls rolled over and were showing interest in pulling themselves up to the top rail of the crib. We didn't want them to use the bumpers as a climbing tool and then fall over. When our twins were born, our toddler was 16 months old and we put her in a full sized bed and she LOVED the pillows and covers. The first night in her big girl bed was the best night sleep she had yet. So much so that we are thinking of doing the same with the twins in a few months. Your daughter may just be ready for a pillow and coverings but I will leave that up to you to decide.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We never used bumpers, but our nanny made small crib pillows for the boys for Christmas. They love sleeping snuggled up against or on them. Maybe you could give them pillows or stuffed animals to ease the transition.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we stopped using my ds's when he was using it as a stepping stool to get out! I took out all the foam and just have the cover there for decoration. my poor dd never had one... I never had time to make hers... if you want a new one, go ahead, if not, I think something else for snuggling would be a great alternative!

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Yep I'm with the other pp, we stopped using them when they became stepping stools. And with my youngest we stopped at 8 months or so because I was just so tired of changing sheets and having to take it off or work around it.

6. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I think I will get them toddler sheet sets and see how they like pillows and quilts. Plus, the twins have coordinating handmade quilts that will look great in the same room!

With toddler bedding, do you also use a blanket for warmth (in addition to a comforter)? Do they make those in a toddler size?

Would you suggest buying extra sheets for when they are potty training, sick, etc.?

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I keep them in until i transition to toddler beds. With my older kids that was 18-20 months or so when we converted the crib. I'm planning on waiting longer the twins....double trouble probably won't do near as good as a singleton! :lol:

Definitely buy some extra sheets, but they don't have to be patterned (or themed) to go with the toddler bedding set. Buy solids or stripes or polka dot ones, they are usually cheaper than the themed ones. :)

I also either use a thin baby blanket or buy a thin toddler blanket to use as well as the comforter (which are usually pretty thin), but I keep my house fairly cool at night too so we all need blankets!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I kept the crib bumpers on until they were about 18 months old, I was afraid that they would start using them to climb on. They do have toddler blankets, my Mom got both of mine Yo Gabba Gabba & Diego blankets for my two. I also think it would not hurt to get extra sheets for PT-ing or if the kids get sick.
    Good luck!

9. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

I am still using them, the boys love to cuddle up next to them, I will probably stop using them for which ever comes first: they either start using them as stepping stools to get out of crib or time to transition them to big kid bed....But I love them and I hate to get rid of them right now.

10. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I quit using mine as soon as they tried to stand on them.

11. pixiee1432

pixiee1432 Member

At 21 months, we still use them. The girls cuddle in the corners and I think it makes them feel safe. Luckily we've had no attempts at standing on them or "breaking out" so if all goes well, we will keep them up until we transition into a toddler bed.

12. luvmytwins08

luvmytwins08 Well-Known Member

I am with the pp's who said as soon as they could roll over into it and they stuck their head under it, it was time to remove it! plus they climb on it...so...I was soo worried they would suffocate themselves so I took it out!

13. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

They are banned here in Australia for SIDS, choking, etc. We never used one and never missed them. They quickly figure out where they walls of the crib are and no worries.

heather

14. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Another one here that removed them when they started rolling and moving around at about 4 months - that was money wasted for sure!

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We used them until they went to twin beds out of their crib. They used them as a pillow and a leg prop for months.