Crib bumpers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Jun 24, 2010.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm late in the game but I was wondering for those that used bumpers, when did you take them out? Does your crib mattress fit snuggly in your cribs?? (Kinda late to ask that one too, huh?) ... the boys' seem to have a small gap between the mattress and the sides. Is that normal?

Thanks!

2. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

I took the girls' off at about 12 months. They were both pulling up and I felt they were safe without them. We haven't had any problems. The mattress fits great.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I never used bumpers and the boys' mattresses fit pretty snugly in their cribs. Sometimes I think it's *too* snug; I detest changing their sheets because it's such a PITA to get the mattress out of the crib!

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We stopped using bumpers when they started using them as step stools to escape! The bumpers we use go on top of the mattress around the sides, and I would have to force them to go in between the mattress and crib :pardon: So there isn't much space at all.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I never took them out. They never seemed to stand on them, or if they tried, the bumper would just get smushed down between the mattress and the side of the crib. They both liked to sleep with the tops of their heads pressing up against the bumper and I didn't want to take that comfort away from them.

6. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

With my oldest daughter I never took it out. She never showed any indication of using it as a step stool. Now, with the twins, they were getting their arms and legs stuck between the slats! Scared me when they started screaming.... so we took the bumpers out and replaced them with this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16022080& We're still using it and we love it! They have a lovey they snuggle with so they didn't seem to even notice when the bumper was removed. I think we removed it sometime around 9-10 months.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I removed mine with my older kids when we converted the crib to a toddler bed, at about 20 months. The twins are still using theirs.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I took the bumpers out around 18 months ...both of the kids' mattresses are a tight fit in the crib. It's a little easier to change DD's bed now that she is in a toddler bed but DS's mattress is difficult to change.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I took them out after their turned two. They luckily never used them as a climbing tool! LOL! And I will say-it's soooooo much easier to chage their sheets! I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

10. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

One I have never used them. The other had breathable bumpers until 10 mos. I know what you mean about a very small gap - about 1.5-2 fingertips width? I think the rule is no more than 2 fingers wide should fit in the gap. Hasn't bothered us and I have tiny girls.