Crib safety

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by abw0827, Feb 21, 2014.

1. abw0827

abw0827 Member

One of my girls scoots around her crib at night and wakes herself (and us) up every night because she has banged her head on the side of her crib. We don't have bumpers and I'm nervous about getting them...any other suggestions. She's still swaddled although one arm is out. She's not rolling over yet.

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can find mesh bumpers now that work good, it also helps once they are out of the swaddle to prevent arms/legs from getting hung in between the slats of the crib, and to keep pacifiers and lovies in the crib if your babies have them.

Regular bumpers that are thin are breathable and perfectly fine to use.  It's the very thick specialty ones, the ones that are too thick to breath through that can pose a risk.  I used a regular cheap thin bumper for all 4 of my children and not once did they have issues, and yes many nights I found them up against the side of the bumper.  They didn't have mesh bumpers available or I would have jumped all over that.

You could also see if you can find a hat to put on her, like the infant hats but you'd have to find a bigger one, that might cushion any bumps in the middle of the night.  I don't know if she would keep it on overnight or not though.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I agree with the idea of a breathable bumper. I have one and they are very soft, cushioned, and mesh as stated before. My daughter has always slept right next to the side of the crib and the breathable bumper has served us well. The material is fantastic - I had no concerns about her breathing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013FGWD0/?tag=mytwins02-20

I will add that I am an engineer and it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to get the thing on right... I finally had to find an internet video to help me! If you decide to get one of these, save time and see an instructional video first!!!

4. abw0827

abw0827 Member

Thank you! I will definitely check out the breathable liner. Sounds like it will be a great project for my husband!