Crib Tents- Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by HusbandJ, Dec 5, 2006.

1. HusbandJ

HusbandJ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think about them! Are they worth it in our situation? Our boys are 20 months and have not tried escaping from their cribs but they are starting to figure out how to stand on things to get up higher. I'm just wondering if we'd be better off just getting a couple of real beds (twin beds, I guess?) and not bothering with trying to cage them into the crib with a crib tent.

What say you? What are the good things and the bad? How long can we expect to delay getting real beds, etc., and anything else you can think of.

Much appreciated! /Joel

2. HusbandJ

I'm not sure what to think about them! Are they worth it in our situation? Our boys are 20 months and have not tried escaping from their cribs but they are starting to figure out how to stand on things to get up higher. I'm just wondering if we'd be better off just getting a couple of real beds (twin beds, I guess?) and not bothering with trying to cage them into the crib with a crib tent.

What say you? What are the good things and the bad? How long can we expect to delay getting real beds, etc., and anything else you can think of.

Much appreciated! /Joel

3. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I saw get crib tents.
    They'll prevet all kinds of turmoil! LOL!
    Lots of broken arms around here from falls, also, *most* kids are't ready for the responsibity of big kid beds until clser to 3.
    Just my humble opinion!

I'll keep my bvoys zippe safely in their tents until they just refuse the crib or physically outgrow it, probably around 3 yrs old.
    No need to mess up their sleep now IMO.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would get the crib tents. I got one for Jon when he was 22 months when we got his. The peace of mind is so worthwhile!

5. mesamama

mesamama Well-Known Member

I'm with Amanda! We got crib tents when S & L were 21 months old and never looked back. We even have crib tents for our pack and plays when we travel. My kiddos are great sleepers and I want to keep it that way. I don't see any reason not to get them.

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

We used crib tents from 18 months to 3 years. Even then we only moved to twin beds because Kayla ruined her mattress.

I don't personally have any cons at all except I have read of people who say the zipper is loud when needing to open in the middle of the night. I never opened ours so that wasn't an issue for me, just the only negative that I remember reading.

For me they were worth every penny spent in sanity saved.

7. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, we were supposed to list cons!

They're not free. The only CON I can think of!
    They're not loud at all if you unzip slowly [​IMG]

8. HusbandJ

Wow, that's funny! I saw that pp were looking at the post, but no one responding, so I thought "well, I guess pp are tired of talking about crib tents!" And the all of a sudden it just seemed like there were a bunch of responses!

Yeah, that's right, I did want to know the cons! And loud zipping is a good comment--when you consider that there are two babies in the room and I would want to scoop the one crying baby up quickly enough so that the other baby doesn't wake--well, don't know that I'd want to zip it slowly! But I think we could probabaly live with that!

So, in other words, I'm not hearing much in the way of cons.... hmmmm, we're thinking about it. I guess, I'd probably be more desparate to make a move if someone was actually trying to escape!

Thanks!!

9. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

We used ours for well over 2 years. The only con was we had just 1 tent to start with & the un-tented kid had a fit because he wanted one too.

10. DWJJ

DWJJ Well-Known Member

I bought two crib tents few months ago and haven't used them yet. I lowered my crib mattress to the lowest level and they haven't figured out how to climb out yet. I wonder how long they will last without climbing out of their cribs. I am not opt for the twin bed because with twins, they will get off bed and play together in their room. It will be hard to keep them in bed. Also i just plan to make the transition to twin size beds later, maybe at age 3 or later I hope.

11. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

I have them for my girls. Wished that I had used them for my boys. Enough said! You see all these posts about the torture of them not staying in bed or in their room? Crib tents! A must have! I'll use them and prolong the inevitable for as long as I possibly can! The next step will be to put a gate up in their doorway!

GL!

12. jem0622

quote:
    Originally posted by HusbandJ:
    And loud zipping is a good comment--when you consider that there are two babies in the room and I would want to scoop the one crying baby up quickly enough so that the other baby doesn't wake--well, don't know that I'd want to zip it slowly! But I think we could probabaly live with that!

I wanted to respond to this specifically. I never go to my girls, unless I hear them cry. That is a very very rare occurence. They both just came down with horrible ear infections, and each night one of them needed me. I ended up leaving it unzipped for the sick one so that I wasn't constantly disturbing the other. The last thing she was thinking about was climbing out!

13. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

My girls used thiers for over 2 years and I cannot think of one con. They are great and I am sure I will use them again with Peyton, and very soon too.

14. SAHM+2+1

SAHM+2+1 Active Member

On that note...is anyone getting rid of their crib tents??? If so please email me. I will buy them for a fair price. Thanks

While at Nana's for Thanksgiving Lucy figured out how to climb out of the pack-n-play that she sleeps in. Since we've been home, she has climbed out of the crib twice. A few days ago, I checked them out on line at Babies R US=$69.99 each. Ouch! I have searched craigslist and ebay with no such luck. I am torn. Can I really give the kids crib tents for Christmas (maybe from Santa)???

15. jem0622

quote:
    Originally posted by SAHM+2+1:
    On that note...is anyone getting rid of their crib tents??? If so please email me. I will buy them for a fair price. Thanks

While at Nana's for Thanksgiving Lucy figured out how to climb out of the pack-n-play that she sleeps in. Since we've been home, she has climbed out of the crib twice. A few days ago, I checked them out on line at Babies R US=$69.99 each. Ouch! I have searched craigslist and ebay with no such luck. I am torn. Can I really give the kids crib tents for Christmas (maybe from Santa)???

Are you a member of your local POM group? Check with members of your local group also! GL! I got mine for free from another twin mom!

16. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I'm totally PRO on the tents. We installed them at around 20 months, I think and I love them and plan to use them as long as possible.

A couple CONS -- we need extra reinforcement for Jade the escape artist, but we seem to have it under control. Her's is also getting shredded at the seams undoubtedly also escape attempts. The zipper has been a problem, although it's not a particularly loud zipper. They are kind of expensive, but not really for the peace of mind and sanity they provide.

I don't find they make changing the sheets harder, because I've just learned to pull the whole mattress out to do it, but if you aren't long-armed like me, that could be an issue...

My girls were not ready for beds at 2.

17. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We loved our crib tents as well. I tried switching them to regular beds at 24 months and it totally didn't work. It's just a little too much fun at that age to have your best friend in the room with you. [​IMG] We got the crib tents at 27 months and used them until 3 years and it was worth every penny. I even got a used one at our twins club garage sale to put on the extra crib in the guest room when I started separating the girls for naps. I unzipped the tents every night to check on them before I went to bed and they didn't budge.

The only cons I can think of are that they are expensive (Babies R Us & OneStepAhead.com both have a 10% discount) and two of mine got shreded at the edges (I called the company and they replaced the nets). I bought them for $70 each and then sold them at our twins club sale for $40 each so I made some money back.