Crochet along

Discussion in 'General' started by ljcrochet, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to the first of hopefully many craft alongs at Twinstuff.
    We are going to be making this really cute hat beanie.

Pattern calls for one skein ( 6 ounces) of Caron International 'Simply Soft', but feel free to use any yarn of your choosing.

Let us know who is in, and what yarn you are using as well as pictures of the work in progress as well as the finished product.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm in. I love simply soft, so I just have to find a skein and a hook!

3. ljcrochet

I'm on a yarn diet, so i will have to find something in my stash to use. Might have to go to michaels or AC moores just to pet the simply soft and see what i want to use. I have to get a birthday present for one of my girls friends. Figure that is a good excuse to go to the craft store.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Okay. I'm going to try this. I know some very basic crocheting so will either be bugging you guys a lot or spending tons of time on YouTube. :D

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Cute hat! I'll see if I've got yarn on hand that'll work.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I will be hitting my stash too, I know I have some Lorna's Laces that would be pretty.

7. Katheros

So I already started.. I'm using a skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in colorway South Shore. It's a lilac, light foresty green and a bright turquoise. I'm almost done the band.

Here's a pic I took with my cell phone: http://www.flickr.com/photos/katheros/8528232583/in/photostream

8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Kate, that looks great!

I was popping in to compliment the TOBOGGAN that y'all are crocheting, but I see that it is actually knit hat. Carry on.

9. Katheros

A knitted TOBOGGAN would not hold up well in the SNOW while sliding down HILLS on said TOBOGGAN.

2 people like this.
  10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

But it would keep your ears toasty!

11. Katheros

It's 65 outside, my ears are already toasty. :p

12. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I'd totally join in if I knew how to crochet! Once I get my stitches out I'm planning on trying to learn! And Steph im with you on a Tobaggan! You crack me up!

13. ljcrochet

Join in. We can help you.

Kate, I love the yarn you picked. I still need to go through my stash and pick out something. Have to do it when DH is not around, so he doesn't see how much I still have.

2 people like this.
  14. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have an almond and a dark green, I'm going to do something to mix the two. . .maybe the brim in the dark green and the rest in the almond. I thought I had a bunch of that particular style yarn, but it's all bright colors like pink and purple. Oh wait, I might have a deep purple. . .maybe I'll use that.

15. ljcrochet

[​IMG]I only found one tub of yarn, rest has to be buried in the closet but it is too jammed packed to find anything. I starting using country rose. http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad341/LJ_DISNEY/image.jpg

16. miss_bossy18

Okay, here's my first question - how do I check my gauge?

Under gauge it says "In ribbed pattern, 18 sts and 12 rows = 4"/10 cm"

But the ribbed pattern is only 10 sts across. Does that mean I just widen it for the gauge sample?

17. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yes. You would crochet a gauge swatch that's 18 sts and 12 rows (in the same pattern) and measure it to make sure it's 4" square. If it's bigger then you should probably get a smaller hook. Too small and you should increase hook size. Then you can frog your square and use the yarn for your project.

18. miss_bossy18

Thank you! (Frog = undo the swatch to reuse the yarn?)

19. ljcrochet

Yep.

Depending on the project I don't always do a swatch to check my gauge.

I finished the ribbed band, now i have to do the evenly spaced sc around. I started last night, but i didn't do enough so have to frog it to get them all in.

20. Katheros

You really don't even need to do a swatch, just crochet the band until it can fit around your head. That's what I did, anyway. :D

I finished the band and 2 rows of the 'pop' stitch, here's a picture from last night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/katheros/8546223766/in/photostream

21. ljcrochet

Kate: it looks great.

22. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Looks wonderful!

And yes, "frog" because you rip it, rip it, rip it out. Silly, I know. But it's a pretty common term in knitting and crochet... especially on blogs.

23. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I've never done a puff stitch, but after I finish my last few stitches on a baby blanket.

24. ljcrochet

[​IMG]Puff stitches are fun. I once did a blanket with the abc done in puff stitches

25. ljcrochet

i started on the puff stiches ( i forgot how my wrist does not like them)
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/LJcrochet/crochet/8F13866C-060B-4F4C-AD21-CCD5DA712036-254-00000116393659DB_zps4a062c72.jpg

26. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Someone needs to talk me down from the craft store. I don't need more yarn. I need to use what I have, but I don't like the colors in there. I will probably be donating this hat as it will be nearly 80 this weekend, so it really shouldn't matter what color, but it does. Maybe if I force myself to start, I will be able to not go.

27. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Okay, DD picked an off white color out of my closet, so that's what I am going with.

1 person likes this.
  28. ljcrochet

Great that you are joining us. Can't wait to see your hat.

29. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Here are my first two pictures. First one was most of the way through the band and the second is 4 rounds on the puff stitch. That first round of puff stitches was a bear, but they are a lot easier now going into the chain 1 space.

Band
    4 Rounds

1 person likes this.
  30. ljcrochet

I'm about half way done with the puff stitched.
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/LJcrochet/958606A0-C71A-4A2A-BBDE-E9365C4B6637-294-00000012E56175B3_zps04e68c3c.jpg

I was working in the hat while the girls where at dance today, dani came out when it ended and asked who I was making it for because she wanted it.

31. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Lookin' good! I think I have 3 more rounds of puff stitches left.

32. ljcrochet

I forgot to mention I did change the pattern slightly, instead of doing the slip stitch chain 3 at the end/beginning of the row, I just kept on going around with out stopping. Much easier when I was crocheting last night in the dark watching argo.

33. Katheros

I've been doing mine that way too! I'm still only 4 puff rows in, need to hunker down and work on it! The twins have their martial arts class tonight so hopefully I can get a few rounds in then.

34. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Here I was at the halfway point. Here it is right before doing the closing of the top. Now to go find the video on how to close it up because the instructions are confusing me.

35. ljcrochet

Here is the link to the video to finish it off
    http://www.caron.com/vickiehowell/patterns/urban_planner/urban_planner_video.html