CROCK POT cookers! Share your favorite tried and true recipes

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

In my OP I asked for recipes to be started with crock pot in the description. I thought this would help members find a recipe easier. Then members just started posting them here. Both ways are great. I am loving all these recipes also.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We love our crockpot! My DH creates all kinds of crockpot meals, but he never writes them down. I need recipes to cook, so glad to have some meals I can prepare for him and kids!

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

You are welcome! We had it this weekend. If you can get Montreal Steak Spice in BC, I add that to the meatballs too.

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Rachael, they also sound wonderful, but the curry one is definitely first on the list this week.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Loving this thread!!! I have an aversion to my crockpot though...I feel that whenever I cook in it, the meat is always dried out. :pardon: I don't know if it is done sooner than it is supposed to be and it just sits...I have no idea.

I will though, try a few of these recipes out! Thanks!!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Something I have to fight is the temptation to keep 'checking' it- ie lifting the lid. It's almost better if I can start it & leave the house all day.

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I shared this on another thread, but I will share it again because it is yummy and very easy:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Garlic-Apple-Pork-Roast

I generally only do 1/2 tsp of pepper, but if you like things peppery, you can do more. And for me, it usually takes about 5 hours, not 8.

8. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Which crockpot do you have? All of my Rival ones dried out all meats (only ground beef was safe). I have this Hamilton Beach now and I love it. I don't use the temperature gauge, but it does a really good job about not drying out meats.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I love this thread! I am planning on a crock pot meal for tomorrow... I'll have to check my kitchen tonight to see which of these recipes I can do with what I have at home.

Sweet and tangy crockpot chicken

3-4 boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breasts
    A can of pineapple
    About a cup of teryaki sauce (I usually use less though).
    Water to cover the chicken if needed.

Cook on low all day (8 hours). Serve with rice and broccoli.

10. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

What kind of pineapple do you use? (crushed, chunks, etc.). And do you drain it?

11. Leighann

Chunks and I don't drain it.

12. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I got this from the fullbellies, happy kids website.

Slow Cooked Pork Chops:

6 pork chops
    1/2 cup flour
    2 tsp salt
    ... 1 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1/3 cup water

Mix the flour, salt and garlic powder together. I use a ziploc bag so it's minimal cleaning afterwards. Drop the chops into the flour mixture and shake really well until completely covered. Brown them in a little oil, you don't need to cook them all the way through, just a minute or two on each side until they're nice and brown. Transfer to the crockpot.

Mix the soup and water together. Pour into the skillet, stir well scraping the bottom for all the yummy pieces left by the chops. Pour over the chops and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.....but be sure to drizzle some of that yummy gravy on top. Mmmmmm!

13. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

mmmmm it all sounds good.

I just want to be me for a second and say a slow cooker is a great way to get into using dried beans and other legumes. The crockpot 365 blog has some instructions. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cooking-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html

Personally, I use my pressure cooker to do this, but then freeze pretty much as she describes. Then you have beans ready for adding to slow cooker chili, with out the added sodium, worried of BPA lined cans or trash created by the cans.

I don't actually have a crock pot, but I do have a solar slow cooker. You can make a solar box cooker that works great for crock pot recipies. Good science project if you have school aged children. Google solar box cooker.

Edited to change good to google!
    Oh and Rach, I'm glad you gave it a try.

14. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Meli, in your honor I tried lentils. And HATED them. But you did get me to try something new! :)

15. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Mmmm, lentils. Tomorrow I am making lentil soup with Italian sausage. It is so, so good.

I love my crockpot and use it a lot. Not sure what happened to the old sticky Marieber had started way back when in the cooking forum, but it had several really good crockpot recipes in it too.

16. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Kim, share your lentil soup and Italian sausage recipe when you have a chance. I have not tried lentils with the kids in a long time, but I think they would like it!

17. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What kind of lentils did you try? I found the green ones took a bit to get used to, but I liked red and yellow ones in curries. There's lots of different kinds that are good for different preparations, so it might be a matter of experimenting!

18. Tamaralynn

I have the same one, and I agree it works really well.

19. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm...no idea. I'm thinking Rival. Next time I go downstairs I will take a look. I got it for my wedding shower possibly, or I bought it on my own. Not sure. Maybe I need a new one....

20. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We're having meatballs for lunch today. Some days we have our large meal in the middle of the day. We use frozen meatballs, but you could make your own.
    1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce (12 oz)
    1 jar of grape jelly (10 oz)
    Melt the two in your crock pot, then add your meatballs and cook until well heated. I throw the meatballs in frozen and turn on high. By mid morning they can be turned down. They are great for an appetizer. But an easy idea for dinner/lunch.

21. Leighann

I love this recipe! This is my go-to for a pot luck party.

22. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I'll try to remember to post it tonight. :D

We love the smaller French lentils. They are so good!

23. Tamaralynn

One of my friends has a crock pot blog and has a FB fan page. She has awesome recipes. If you want to add her, her FB page is:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/CrockinMomma

and her blog:

http://networkedblogs.com/nMIZW

24. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here is another website that is good...

Crockpot Girls

They have tons of recipes on there & on their FB page.

25. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I have another taco stew one tht is similar to one that was posted but didn't have beer,and a few diferent types of beans...
    it is fab,everyone i give the recipe too just loves it. I always double the recipe and freeze some. :)

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew

-1 chopped onion
    -1 160z can black beans
    -1 16 oz can kidney beans
    -1 16 oz can (drained) corn
    -1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    -2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes w/ chillies
    -1 packet of taco seasoning
    - 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (keep these whole)
    -Mix everything together inside your slow cooker. Lay your chicken on top( My friend has even put frozen chicken breast on top and had it turn out fab)
    -Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
    -About 10 min before serving take chicken out and shred up,put back in crock to heat up for a few mins.

*Serve with shreded cheese, or sour creme, tortilla chips.
    *This recipe can be doubled and you do NOT have to double the time. :)

Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken
    4-5 pound whole chicken
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon all spice (not a typo, I used a whole tablespoon!)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    3 limes, juiced (about 1/3 cup)

The Directions.
    Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Skin the bird as much as you can (or don't. it's your choice.) and place it into the slow cooker. I prefer to cook my chickens upside down, to keep the breast meat as juicy as possible. Make sure all the giblets, neck, etc. are out!
    In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and dry spices. Rub this spice and sugar mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Pour on the lime juice.
    Cover, and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 4. Check doneness with a meat thermometer, or cut in to make sure the meat is no longer pink. Usually the bird falls completely apart--which is great. Moist, juicy, wondefully-flavored meat.
    You can serve with lime wedges for a bit of extra citrus flavor, if you'd like.

mmm

26. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Crazy easy

One 6-7 pound turkey breast
    One envelope dried onion soup

Turn on for at least 8 hours. Oh, it's so good, I can't keep my hands off of it. And I am so not a turkey fan, but for $6.75 for a seven pound breast, you can't pass that up.