Daycare decision delima: 3 - 1/2 days or 2 - full days

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Safari, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

We are considering putting our girls in part time small home daycare. I originally wanted 3 half days. Mornings, so I could bring them home for their one long single nap (2-3 hrs). This would be 12 hours of care per week.

Or we could put them in daycare 2 full days. (up to 20 hrs of care per wk). For the same price!

obviously, it's a much better deal for 2 full days. Here's the BIG BUT

I'm worried about naps. We have a pretty rigid nap routine (completely dark room, sound machines, very quiet in the house, etc). Would they nap at all at the daycare? What's going to happen the other 5 days a week at home to their nap routine? What if they don't nap at all at daycare, or only for a short time like 30 min. Does that mean they'll fight me every day at home for naps?

Sydney is not a good napper or sleeper. We often struggle with her sleep issues, so I'm afraid to mess with the routine that is for the most part usually working. On the other hand, maybe they need to learn to be more flexible (and so do i). I'm just scared of the other 5 days per week if I don't get a solid long midday break.

Please share your part/full time daycare nap related stories/issues. Thx so much for the advice!

2. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

My girls have never been in daycare but if I were you I would do the 3 1/2 days. I think that it would be an easier transition on them and you'd get more out of it too. You can always switch down the line but I think that a few hours a day would be easier on them.

3. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Well-Known Member

I would definitely go with the half days and bring them home to sleep. My guys are the same, they have the black rooms, sounds machines, the whole meal deal. When my guys go to daycare they will start with half days to get them used to it and make the transition less stressful for everyone.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think I would also go with the three 1/2 days. I agree, it would be an easier transition. I wouldn't want to mess with naps myself.

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I would do the half days. Even though naps are so-so right now, I can't picture them napping at all anywhere else. I also don't think I could do a whole 8 hr day of them in the care of someone else, but that's just me and my anxiety/paranoia.