Daycare Drama - EVERY DAY!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by afrostygirl, Apr 10, 2012.

1. afrostygirl

afrostygirl Member

My boys are 22 months now and have been going to a home daycare since they were one. They STILL freak out every day when it's time for me to leave.
    They know exactly where we are going in the mornings, as I always tell them it's time to go to "Auntie's" house. 90% of the time they have no problem getting on jackets & shoes and getting out the door.
    Once we get to the sitter's house, they are ok and are ok even once we get in the door. The freak out starts when the sitter helps one of them take of their shoes and jacket - "Mommy do it!" and doesn't end unless I coddle them.
    I've stopped coddling, started just undressing them and leaving. The sitter says they cry only for a minute after I leave, but it is so frustrating to hear EVERY morning.
    This week I'm talking to them more about what they can do when the get to Auntie's house and no crying when we get there. It's not working so far.

Anyone been through this? Was there any miracle solution?
    I expected it to be rough for the first couple weeks, but seriously, 10 months later and it's still going on is nuts to me!

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I don't have any magical solution, unfortunately. My daughter never really got past that point before she stopped having to go to daycare. However, I generally found that it was easier on me if I at most took off her jacket and let the daycare provider do the rest. She still cried most days but it limited the dread for me and most likely helped limit it for her too.

3. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My boys started daycare 3 days a week at 5 months. They didn't stop crying every morning at drop off until they were 2.5 years old and the preschool room. I drop them off at breakfast. They sit down on their chairs and I hug and kiss them. Sometimes they want extra hugs/kisses but they no longer cry. If anything changes with this routine they cry. If we are late to breakfast and they have to eat in the office there are lots of tears. They are over the age of 3. It isn't unusual to see another child crying at drop off. Some older then my two.

My only advice is to create a good bye routine. You take off shoes coat, hug and kiss and say good bye... I'll pick you up later today and leave. Make it short, be firm but kind. You might even try having a transition comfort item. This did help. Their school allows a stuffed animal at nap time from home. One of mine carries his monkey inside and holds his at breakfast and it seems to help.

It will get better.... eventually.

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Its totally normal. believe it or not, its hard on you not on them. Every morning, i drop off my kids at daycare. They cry when I leave. But 2-3 mins later, DONE. When I pick them up, they come and say 'hi mommy' then run away to play with their friends. Dont even bother if im there or not.

Their cousin started daycare at 18 months. He is over 3 now. But he still cries when his mom drops him off. So its just kids thing. Go easy on yourself :)