Debate between me and my mom

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, Jul 29, 2007.

?

Did you give milk straight out of fridge at 12 months?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My mom and I have VERY different opinions about this issue. I feel the need to prove to her that I am not the only one who does it this way. I will share more after I get responses for this poll. Thanks!

My boys are 1 year so can you answer as to what you did when your babies were 1 year.

2. katnpat

katnpat Well-Known Member

We started giving our girls milk out of the fridge at 11 months!

3. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

I didn't vote because my twins were very different. Mikayla could drink milk straight out of the fridge at 12 months. Michael breastfed until 15 months. Then after I switched to milk, he could only take it warmed up for a month or 2.

So...yes, and no.

Bridget

4. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I don't because my girls will throw the sippy cup right back at me. They won't drink anything cold. I've always warmed everything they drink.

5. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

Oops! Sorry, double post.

6. WENDERELLA

WENDERELLA Well-Known Member

both boys do not care for straight milk cold......it has to be warm, but if I do have yogurt 'smoothie' and half milk, they drink that cold!

7. NatalieK

NatalieK Well-Known Member

We warmed it for awhile because they would drink so much more if we warmed it. It took a long time but gradually we stopped and now they drink it straight out of the fridge.

8. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

At 12 months when we started to transition from breast milk to whole milk, I warmed it for a few months or they'd throw it right back at me. We gradually stopped warming and now they drink it cold.

9. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

I tried right out of the fridge byt my boys didn't care too much and I noticed that cold milk seemed to give them gas. :unsure: So we always warm the milk.

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Cold milk right from the frig. I have never warmed up milk to be put in a sippy cup.

11. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never really thought about giving it to them warm. They have always done cold milk. We did their formula at room temperature, so that was never warmed either.

12. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

My kids still don't drink cold milk. Even if it is a hot day (that happens rarely here) they will not drink it cold. So I have always warmed it up. But I would have given it if they had taken to it... so I answered NO but if it about if it is safe to do it I would say YES.
    Millie

13. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I usually give it cold, but before bed i nuke it for maybe 15 seconds, just so it isn't freezing. My MIL insists cold milk will keep the babies awake at night.

14. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

At 12 months I started to heat the milk up less and less it was by 13 months that they were on right out of the fridge milk...my cousin's wife still heats up her son's milk and he is 2.5 yrs. old, she figures that's the way he likes it so she does it for him.

15. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

For their big potion of milk (am and pm bottle) we give it to them warm. They will not drink it cold and will also throw it to the side. I think it's just a matter of them being used to it. But also, I find it hard to drink a large amount of ANYTHING that is cold. I'm one of those people that prefers room temperature water and I'd rather have a refridgerated soda than to put ice. I actually start coughing when I drink or eat anything that is too cold. When I give them milk with a snack or with a meal, I give it in sippy cups straight from the fridge.

16. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Mine get milk cold at breakfast but warmed for their evening sippy cup before bed. They will take it cold however, but they do seem to prefer it warmed.

17. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

Mine never had warm formula or warm milk. Milk straight from the fridge starting at 12 months.

18. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(moski @ Jul 29 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]348493[/snapback]
    I never really thought about giving it to them warm. They have always done cold milk. We did their formula at room temperature, so that was never warmed either.

Same here.

19. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

We usually warmed morning(still do sometimes) and then cold the rest of the day.

20. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jul 29 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]348493[/snapback]

Same for us too!

21. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I do warm it just enough so that it's not ice cold. DD won't drink it cold, DS will drink it any way.

22. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jul 29 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]348493[/snapback]

Ditto!

23. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

I've had this same argument! Even when my kiddos drank formula and I would give it to them room temperature, my mom would flip out! My pedi said it was fine! lol!

To this day she still tries to warm EVERYTHING up! I keep telling her to knock it off, my kids arent use to things warmed up!!

24. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I also do it right from the fridge. I thought why add an extra step and a habit to break later if they are fine with the cold milk. It makes my mom so mad. She feels sorry for my boys that they have to have cold milk.

25. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jul 29 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]348756[/snapback]
    I also do it right from the fridge. I thought why add an extra step and a habit to break later if they are fine with the cold milk. It makes my mom so mad. She feels sorry for my boys that they have to have cold milk.

For most of the kids I've sat for, milk is always right out of the fridge. Interestingly enough, there was a 3 month old girl at my daycare center who was exclusively breastfed. Her mom requested that her EBM bottles came straight from the fridge so that they would last longer (center policy says that warmed BM can only be used up to 1 hour later, formula is 2 hours) but also because the infant liked it that way. Mom said it was a lot easier on the road when she couldn't nurse to just pull a bottle right of the cooler. She had a 15 month old sister that was fed the same way when she was an infant.

26. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Cold milk straight from fridge at 11 months... good luck

27. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We warmed yours, two bottles at 20 secs in the microwave to take the edge off. I am weaning them off the warmer milk now at 13 months.

28. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jul 29 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]348493[/snapback]

Ditto here.

29. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

OH how I wish I never warmed their milk! They throw it back at me if it's even 5 degrees off their desired temp now. I want to be tough and cold-turkey this hot milk situation, but they don't eat well now and i know this is one of the only ways we get nutrients in them.

30. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

I breastfed mine until 13.5 months so when I switched over to whole milk, I thought I should warm it. I did that for a bit (a week) then tried it cold. They did fine either way, so I say, skip the extra step. That and it might be a habit that you don't want to keep up- say at age 5.

31. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

heck - mine always did formula from the fridge - it helped it stay down better when DS was having spitting issues....so yes we've done milk straight from the fridge always...

oh and my MIL severely disagreed to the point of starting a violent fight with DH about how we fed the children!

32. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

We warm it enough to take the cold edge off. We have always warmed their formula and even their juice. They do not like real cold food/drink.

33. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

I said yes But I give them cold milk with a meal and as a drink during the day but if it is leading to a nap or bedtime I warm it up.

34. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

When we first started giving milk I'd warm it to the temp their formula was, then every day I would warm it for a little less time. After a week or so of this, they didn't notice when we stopped heating it.
    I figure I far prefer milk cold ;) so should they!

35. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

Boy- we gave formula from the fridge at about 3 or 4 months and from then on never warmed it up at all-
    Makes me feel kinda bad....But they've been fine with it!!!!
    Lanie