Deciding which building set for 3yr olds.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

The boys really like their larger megablocks, but I thought it was time for something different and smaller. They have wooden blocks but I'm looking for something else. I purchased Tinkertoys but now am rethinking my decision, probably because there are so many little pieces, plus there are newer options (like the wedgits). Does anyone have advice on what your kids have liked/not liked? I know someone on here likes the Wedgits, but I don't know much about those yet.

TIA

Alicia

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

The wedgits are totally cool, but they might like some of the newer one's too that are called "waffle" blocks or something too?

The wedgits are basically a stack them in any weird way you want, but you aren't building "things" per se. They are just a tower type toy. Hope that helps a little.

The wooden blocks in my opinion are used to be thrown and are painful when they land a throw!! :eek: But they have some nice big sets! The little tiny pieces of Tinkertoys will be better when they can keep them together and not have them scattered all over the house! :)

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

You could try Duplo. It's basically large Lego bricks (more suitable for young children than Lego). If your boys are used to megablocks they will probably find them easy to use, because they fit together in the same way. You can get just bricks or sets that have people, animals, vehicals etc.
    Amazon have quite a good range and so do Toys 'R' Us.

4. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Wegits are great for younger kids -- I would not recommend them for kids over 2.5.

Tinker toys are great. My kids have had them since late 2's and build all sorts of interesting things with them. Definitely stimulates lots of creativity. With that said, I got them at a yard sale so am not sure I would have bought them for my 3 yr olds.

I highly recommend Magnatiles http://www.magnatiles.com/products.aspx. Got 'em as a gift at 2.5 and they play with them regularly. I think we have 2 of the 32-piece sets. Little pricier than other builidng sets, but really fun to play with and durable.

5. jwozy

jwozy Well-Known Member

We also love the Magnatiles. They use it to build all sorts of things for their cars and animals. If you do get the Magnatiles get the largest set as possible as the smaller set you end up running out of pieces.