defiance and shutting down when being scolded

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Mar 16, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

so one of my LO's has an issue with being told he's not supposed to do something.
    he shuts down, won't look at you, etc. if you put him in the corner and tell him he's not supposed to do something, etc. he just screams, and screams and screams. if i raise my voice in anyway or ignore him, it gets louder and louder.

lately at bedtime he just blatantly ignores me if i tell him to do something. i'll tell him over and over agin to lay down. he looks past me and completely ignores me. if i lay him down, he will scream and scream and scream.

is this just par for the course?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, my DS was famous for doing this. I would keep ignoring the screaming, no matter how loud he gets until it stopped. Then I would tell him that when he talks to me in a big kid voice and not with a scream, I will listen. As for ignoring you, I would start putting favorite toys in time out and tell him why (in calm voice, acting like it doesn't bother you even though you are annoyed to).

3. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

One of mine has started doing this. I agree with the toys in timeout. Putting her in timeout doesn't work, but taking away the bears and cats and pacis (at bedtime), she starts listening (most of the time).

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

TY - we will try their stuffed animals and lovies that they sleep with.

5. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I have an older child who never responded well to reprimands. I would reprimand him over something small, and then the whole interaction would escalate from something small to screaming (I admit, screaming from both of us). While it's not always possible, I try to do the vast majority of my discipline with him as reward based. Takes a lot more up front planning, but makes my world run smoother.