Dental injury

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Jenn G, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Last weekend the boys were jumping on the couch and they bumped heads- or more specifically Finn's mouth hit Van's forehead. Finn's gums bled A LOT! His gums became very swollen and sore- he couldn't use his front teeth to bite into any food for a day or two. They got better over the course of this past week but I just noticed that his gums seem kind of receeded and I think the 2 front teeth are kind of loose. They also seem kind of discolored. I'm not sure what I should do or if there is anything that can be done. They don't seem to be bothering him now- he's able to brush his teeth without pain and eat ok but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you did or didn't do. Thanks.

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

our son fell and chipped a tooth when he was a year old and we went to the pediatric dentist. his injury never really showed any damage except a small bit of his front tooth was chipped. they dentist was great, and showed pictures of what we needed to watch out for... things like gum damage, and changes in the tooth color etc. it might be worth a trip to the dentist to get it checked out.

i would make sure that the dentist specializes in pediatrics and you don't just go to anyone who sees adults as well.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

If it were my child, I would probably just watch it closely, especially now that he is brushing his teeth without pain. However, if anything changed, I'd head to a dentist. If you have reservations, go to the dentist, at least it would ease your mind.

4. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

If the gum did recede or if there is a sore on the gum I would take him in. That or if it got better and them worse. At the very least call the dentist and see what they say

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

EXACT same thing happened to Gabe, TWICE. His two front teeth turned totally gray, also. Within a month, they were back to normal. Gums all swollen and black and blue-- HIDEOUS! They bled when we brushed teeth- etc. Just awful. I was really scared but I never took him in cuz I did not wish to traumatize him further.

Keep an eye on it. Their teeth are pretty resilient at this age :)

6. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We've had this happen now twice with Joshua. The first time it was his two bottom front teeth. They were very loose so we took him in. They said to watch for discoloration. One turned gray, but they both were firmly in the gum again, no longer loose. They wanted to see him again and said it should be fine. It turned back white pretty quickly.
    Now he has a top front tooth, not loose, but VERY gray. We are watching this one. It concerns me that it is so dark. If anything changes for the worse we won't hesitate to take him in. The dentist never even charged us to look at him. They were sooooo good and not pediatric dentists, just our normal dentist.