Dental work for DS

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sulik110202, Feb 6, 2014.

1. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids had their check up at the dentist this week.  My son has a hole in one of his baby teeth that is starting to get infected.  They need to extract the tooth and put a spacer in so that the other teeth don't crowd out the space for the permanent tooth.  They see the permanent tooth on the x-ray, but it won't grown in until around 11.  I made the appointment for the procedure, but he is freaked out about going to get this work done.  He is very upset and scared (cried 2x last night talking about it) and can't get it out of his mind.  We have explained what will happen (they will give him novacaine to numb the area before they do the work) but nothing reassures him and I am afraid he will lose it when we get to the office to have the work done.  Any tips to ease his anxiety?  He normally gets upset about any kind of shot, but if I offer him a slurpee, he is fine.  Based upon his level of anxiety, I am not sure the promise of a slurpee will cut it.   Thanks!

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck.  Can you bring an ipad for him to watch videos during the procedure?  My dd who is not always a happy camper was an angel at her last dental cleaning because she was busy watching a tv show on the ipad. 

3. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Our son fell and chipped his front tooth when he was 3-years old.  They told us $4,800 for a root canal on a baby tooth that would fall out in 2-years approx. or $90 for an extraction if we were ok with a gap toothed smile for 2-years.  We opted for the extraction and he was nervous along with crying a bit, but he knew the tooth was hurting him.  When we took him for the appt. we told him he could go to the toy store after and get a special toy (approx. $40) for being a brave boy.  Once they gave him the gas and the small shot all they had to do was tap it about 4 times with a little dental hammer.  It came right out and it was more traumatic for me since he wanted me in the room to hold his hands.  Plus it stopped bleeding by the time we got to the store and had pretty much healed by the next morning.

Maybe you can get him a toy or game and explain that the infection can spread to his jaw bone (our dentist told us this) which would require more work as well as more pain.  I also like the distraction ideas for during the procedure such as music through headphones.  Good luck.

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sedation isn't an option?

Both of my girls at 6 years old have needed a lot of dental work. I have had them sedated each time with oral conscious sedation. These last two times it was optional but I still went ahead and did it. I don't want them to have any negative feelings associated with going to the dentist. It is expensive, but IMO it's worth it.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I didn't ask about sedation.  The dentist we met with assured me it was a simple procedure.  This is the same dentist that butchered my last two crowns and caused me weeks of pain.  I made an appointment for my son with the main dentist who I have had good experiences with.  I will call and ask about sedation.  Thank you.

6. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

I would find out if they at least have gas(nitrous oxide) and if they don't there should be a pediatric dentist in your area that would have the gas.  It would probably be cheaper then sedation.