di/di twins one with IUGR (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by doreydo, Sep 17, 2010.

1. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Oh, this is probably the most difficult post I've had to write. I'm absolutely devastated. Twin B's FISH results came back fine, but the final report showed that he has an unbalanced translocation on chromosome 3. Because of his super slow growth and continued slowing, they don't think that he will make it. If he does make it, they think he'll be severely retarded. I'm just devastated. I feel like I'm waiting for him to die. And he is such a good boy. I really hope that he lives long enough to give his brother a chance to survive with minimal intervention (his death could cause my body to go into preterm labor). But I really hope he passes before he is born, so that he doesn't have to be tortured with intubation, lines, cpr, blah, blah, blah in the NICU and so I don't have to make the decision to not provide heroic life saving measures. I just feel like my family can't catch a break. My little brother died 2 years ago. His twin brother just had twins, one with a bilateral cleft palate, my stepmom's family (essentially my only family) has a boy with down syndrome and 2 premature twin boys (now 16) and one moderately retarded from prematurity and one severely retarded from a overdose of indomethocin in the NICU to close a patent ductus arteriosus (hole in his heart) he has never had nutrition by mouth, either gets feeding through a tube in his stomach or nutrition through and IV. He can barely talk, says "train" "car". it's horrible! and now this. I actually said when I go pregnant, "well, with all of the tragic baby stories in our family, I should be in the clear to have 2 healthy babies." What a jerk. I can't believe I said that. SORRY FOR THE PITY PARTY!!!! I promise that's it!! I'll keep you posted, but won't carry on like that again!!!

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I was told from the start that my jesslyn had a very small chance of making it to birth and they advised of the same problems but I did not have an amnio. She is 4 and still stuborn as all get out

3. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Thank you, Twinx. It's so hard to have hope, in light of the chromosome abnormality and with what all of the doctors are saying. I'm so happy for you and your girls, they are beautiful!

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. :grouphug: My friend had one twin die in utero around 20 weeks and she delivered her DD with no complications later. And just to reiterate what TabbiSue said--a lot of times docs say "there's no way this baby will make it" but they do make it and do just fine. So I hope that is how things do turn out. But either way :grouphug: :grouphug: and :grouphug:

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I know it's hard to hope and get attached too. I had a real hard time bonding with jessy after she was born. Everyday counts for both babies and if the baby isn't going to make it the longer it's alive the better off the twin will be. :hug: I know how hard this time is

6. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what to say, but that i'm so sorry that you are having to go through this.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm just so sorry.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm so sorry. :hug: :hug:

8. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

The loss of a baby at any point in a pregnancy is devastating... Prayers for you and your family

9. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you're going through this and I'm praying that everything will work out for you and your family. :grouphug:

10. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry about the news you received. Nothing can you prepare you for any such news and I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers that it all works out. You can't hide your feelings so anytime you need to express them the TS group is always hear for you. [​IMG]

11. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

:hug: Lots of hugs and prayers for you and family.

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am very sorry you are going through this, please know we are all here for you.
    Keep us posted as things progress.
    Many thoughts and prayers to you and your entire family. :grouphug:

13. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: I am so very sorry. :hug:

14. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry. :hug: you and your babies are in my thoughts and prayers.

also, don't ever worry about "being like that", it is ok. All of the emotions you are having right now are ok to have in your situation. Don't ever feel badly about them - you have enough going on. You can vent, cry or just talk to us anytime - that is what friends are for. :hug:

15. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I'm sorry

16. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

:hug: :grouphug:

17. irrelevancy

irrelevancy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry :(

Definitely do not be sorry for talking about it. You need a place to vent and say what you feel. That's what everyone is here for.

18. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear your news. I really hope and pray that the doctors are wrong... :(. Good luck and please keep us posted when you get a chance!