Diaper bag suitable for twins--which is the best?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carlynichole, Jan 3, 2010.

1. carlynichole

carlynichole New Member

I am expecting twins, and have contemplated back and forth at different diaper bags and styles. I am thinking I need one that can hold a lot, and has lots of pouches, zippers, pockets, etc. I'm thinking that a backpack diaper bag would be helpful since both hands are always used up, between the twins and my two other toddlers running around, but I'm up for whatever. Let's be honest, with twins you have to think practical, even if it means before style. Any suggestions? Does anyone think that they have the best diaper bag?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have the Skip Hop Duo Double, and I LOVE it!! It is the only one I could find that would fit over my SBS stroller, and I also love that there is plenty of room for double the stuff, but at the same time it is not overly huge. :)

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never had the Skip Hop Duo Double, but lots of people on here have raved about it! I know that I never found a diaper bag that I felt had enough room and, if I had it to do over again, I would just have made the investment & got the Skip Hop one!

4. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I actually use a backpack and love it! I wouldn't trade it for a traditional diaper bag for anything. First of all, you have both hands free...a huge help ANY time w/ twins! And you don't have a diaper bag swinging around, spilling, etc. when you bend to pick up carseats, babies, etc. Lots of pockets, easy on the back, and gender-neutral so DH can carry the load sometimes, too! My diaper bag from DS #1 is retired for good.

Eve

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I have thre regular skip hop and love it. I had gotten ju ju be be prepared diaper bag and it is too big and bulky and have rarely used it so I wouldn't waste your money on that one. I went through many diaper bags with my first son because they kept ripping and decided that it was time to bite the bullet and spend more money and we have had the same bag for over a year now with no problems. I do like the idea of a backpack but have never tried it.

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I bought a vera bradley tote (my husband told me with that purchase, I finally succumb to being a mom) and it fits everything I need and then some. It has pockets inside for smaller things (diaper cream, my cell phone/keys) and I use the larger main pocket for diapers/clothes/wipes. One thing I did do that organizes the bag a little better is I bought make up/travel bags (clear plastic thin bags) and I use those to store the clothes/diapers/wipes. That way when I need to change a diaper, I just pull out the inner bag and don't have to go searching.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DH and I purchased the Skip Hop Duo Double and loved it. Definitely worth the money during the FY. Now that my kids are a little older and we don't need to take as much stuff with us, we use one of the smaller diaper bags from the hospital...but during the FY the Skip Hop is a great investment!

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I'm one of those overly prepared people and still use my Skip Hop Double Duo daily. We're potty training so keeping an extra pair of pants and shoes isn't a big deal. I got it originally because I needed to be able to carry 6 bottles at a time (DH does all day triathlons) and this was the only thing big enough. I plan on using it as my school bag once I go back to teaching (as the boys will be in Kindergarten by then!). Worth every single penny!

9. LsuTwinMama

LsuTwinMama Active Member

I use a Fleurville Mothership and LOVE it. http://fleurville.com/product/mothership%C2%AE
    I can't say enough about this bag, it's BIG, easy to clean, has stroller attachment points, comes with a Matching Wrist Bag, Changing pad, a Cinch sack for dirty clothes and a wipe case. It's is eco-friendly too (if that's your thing).
    They retail for a TON, but I picked mine up at TJ maxx for $40.

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Ditto. I kind of debated off and on about a backpack diaper bag, but the thing is, we almost ALWAYS have a stroller, and the Skip Hop Duo Double fit on both my SBS and my tandem (even though it says it only fits a SBS). So, we just attach it and go!

11. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I had a Ju Ju Be Packabe is a little pricey but it was worth it. I could use it as a backpack which was necessary for airplane travel or I could use it with a single strap and put it over my double stroller. I held everything in the little baby stage, diapers, formula, bottles, extra clothes. Then as we moved out of that it held toys, crayons, books, extra clothes, etc. I finally stopped using it everyday, but still use in on the plane. GL with your search.

12. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We used a regular backpack. It was actually DH's backpack from college. It had several zippered compartments on the front plus pockets on the side that fit bottles perfectly. That thing was huge, fit a ton of stuff and was so convenient to carry. Once the twins were no longer taking bottles, a regular-sized diaper bag worked better for us unless we were gone for most of the day.

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used a backpack for the first several months after they were born. When we switched from the snap n go stroller to a SBS, I started using a regular messenger bag from the school section at walmart. The shoulder strap was long enough to fit over my sbs stroller handle, and easy for me to sling onto my shoulder. Now that we don't need bottles anymore, I use a smaller skip hop bag, I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Picked it up at target for $15. Shoulder strap still long enough to fit on my SBS stroller and just enough room for all the "stuff" that 10 month old twins need! :)

14. JZaretzka

JZaretzka Member

We use the Skip Hop Duo Double too and I LOVE it!!!! It holds everything for an entire day for the twins and for me. I hang it on our Snap N Go and our BOB with no problems. Congrats on the twins!

15. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I bought a pink and black big backpack. LOVED IT! Just yesterday my DD dragged it out of the closet and pronounced it "cool" and is now using it for school. (It was like 19.99)

16. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I got this diaper backpack from Lands End and like it a LOT. It is not huge though, but I didn't want to cart around an enormous diaper bag. It is plenty big for us though because we are only ever gone with the babies for maybe 3 hours at a time (to the mall or Target). I like the various compartments and how easy it is to carry, and its not girly looking so DH doesn't mind carrying it either. And I love that I don't have to worry about it slipping off my shoulder, which I have to deal with enough with my purse! I got it during one of Lands End 20% off and free shipping sales (its normally $39.50) and because of the savings I went ahead and got it monogrammed.

17. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Skiphop ... still using it after 3 years with the twins (now mainly for travelling of course)!

18. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

We used the Sienna backpack diaper bag from BRU for the first 6 or 7 months. We really liked it (and liked that the insulated bottle compartment holds two bottles! :)) but it just wasn't *quite* big enough. Then I snagged a Diaper Dude (messenger style) on sale for $19.99. We've switched over to that and are really happy with it. I find the messenger bag style easier to find things in than a backpack, and DH prefers it since it slings over his shoulder so easily.

19. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator