Diaper Rash

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lio&ella, Aug 16, 2010.

1. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

Its war on diaper rash!!! My beautiful baby boy had a short episode of loose stools, which is now better. I am assuming he ate something that didnt quite agree with him. He acts fine, playful and very active, no fever and so forth. But now he has a terrible diaper rash that just wont heal. And it is further compounded by the fact that he keeps pooping in the middle of the night. During the day, I leave his diaper off execpt during nap times. Yes, that means I am chasing him around and cleaning up pee and poop all day. When he naps, I put his diaper on and a ton of desitin, as well as at night. The past 2 nights he has actually woken up crying at around 2am because he pooped and it hurts. Which is good, because as least I am cleaning him up and putting on a fresh diaper. I am no longer using wipes, because he screams and cries when I wipe him. I use soap and water in our utility tub to wash his butt when he does poop in the diaper. Our peds had no other suggestions. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

What does the rash look like?

3. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

Red, hot, raised, inflamed patches that are now seeping/bleeding. Even his testicles are red.

4. orangeyaglad

ACK...we've been there with that rash and it was from too much citric acid. I would keep him off juices and any fruit that is overly acidic. I feel like a rash expert because we've been through every type. ;) I would do a maximum strength hydrocortisone with no scents or additives (like aloe) twice a day. Are you using the Desitin paste or cream?

5. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

What have you been using? I was going to post about something similar, I have been using Balmex though and that seems to clear things up pretty quickly, i just need to be better about applying it before they go to bed to prevent the rash,

In your case I would definitley go back to the doc, or even another doc, cause that doesnt sound normal

6. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

We are using the thick, max strength desitin paste in the jar. Too funny you mention the "fruit". I have never given him juice, and since this rash has appeared I have eliminated all fruit from his diet until it gets better. I thought he might get constipated, but so far he hasnt!

7. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

My sister just called me and told me to use A&D ointment mixed with Mylanta??? Anyone ever heard of this?

8. orangeyaglad

Never heard of the mylanta thing, but I wouldn't put it on open sores. The hydrocortisone is an anti-inflammatory, so that's what we used when this horrible rash happened with the desitin paste which has the highest amount of zinc oxide.

9. orangeyaglad

We went to the doctor three times when this happened and they couldn't explain it. My girls were in PAIN, so I think if he is still happy, healthy your doctor probably will just send you home and tell you to continue to do what you're doing. ;) They did finally give us the prescription strength hydrocortisone which is, I think, over 2% (you can only get 1% at the store), but they're very weary about giving it out as it can damage the skin cells if used too much. We used it once a day before they went to bed with the desitin and it cleared up pretty quickly, but then after a few weeks it came back again. When we went back to the doctor (we saw a different doctor this time) she refused to give us the same prescription. It might be worth bring it up to your doctor and see if she/he will give it to you.

10. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

THANK YOU!

11. orangeyaglad

12. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

The mylanta/vaseline or mylanta/A & D works because the mylanta will neutralize the acid in the stools so it can heal. It is fine to use on open areas. It was what I was going to suggest. The best way to do it is to put whatever cream you are using on so thick that when you clean him there is still a layer of cream on the skin. Don't clean him all the way to the skin each time you change him. If there are raised bumps and he is getting some rash in his creases, he could also be developing a yeast rash. I would NOT use hydrocortisone but you could try some OTC lotrimin cream.

13. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

We've dealt with this alot with DS2. His progresses to the bleeding rash as well. Our Pedi has said that diaper rash can turn to a yeast infection, and if that happens, Desitin actually makes it worse. So, we use Lotrimin, and it usually clears it right up. We put Lotrimin, then the Mylanta to neutralize the stools.

Also, baking soda baths as often as possible are supposed to help. When DS's got really bad, that was the routine: every time he pooped (and he was less than a year, so it was pretty often), we

1) warm water and washcloth (no wipes) to clean him
    2) let him soak in warm water with baking soda for 15 minutes
    3) let air dry for ~ up to 15 minutes
    4) Neosporin (for open sores), Lotrimin, Mylanta

It has only ever taken 1-2 days of this treatment, and he heals.

Good Luck!!

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes! My SIL told me about this and it was huge help with my DD! I used vaseline with the mylanta (or milk of magnesia). DD did not have open sores, but I did use Lotrimin when she had a fungal infection. I hope it clears up soon for your little guy!

15. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

Thanks again everyone! It really bothers me to see this rash, I feel so horrible. I have been battling this thing for over 4 days now. My carpet and my I thank you!

16. suddsgirl

suddsgirl Member

I just want to add one more opinion (great, huh?). My twin girls has HORRIBLE, yeast-y diaper rashes last month. I started out applying Aquaphor and Mylanta, and it didn't work for us. I took them to the doctor (urgent care 3 times in 3 weeks - fun) and got put on 3 different prescription creams. The first 2 didn't work, and then what finally did the trick was ECONAZOLE 1% topical cream. We used this in the morning and at night mixed with a squirt of Cortisone ointment, for the middle-of-day diapers we used Triple Paste (expensive but good), and we also bathed them with Aveeno colloidal oatmeal baths. After a month of sore, bleeding rashes, this combo cleared it up within a week.
    GOOD LUCK!

17. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My baby DD is a middle-of-the-night-pooper too and she developed a horrible rash about a month ago, probably from some fruit I started feeding her. She has red, raised, open patches that really hurt her. I took her to the doctor twice for it and this is what worked:

Aveeno oatmeal packets in her bath water daily

Get Silvadene, a cream to treat burns, and Nystatin, a yeast infectin medication, from the doctor. They're precscriptions. Mix half of each in with a whole jar of Triple Paste diaper rash cream and use at every change.

When changing, use a paper towel and pat dry the pee diapers, then fan with a diaper, and use the cream mixture when skin is very dry. No wipes. For poo dipaers, rinse out the wipes well so the chemicals are removed or just wash the bottom in the sink, then pat dry thoroughly and use the cream mixture.

This program worked so well for me I didn't have to air dry any more - whew!

The nurse also told me to use Mylanta, but the Triple Paste has the same acid-neutralizing ingredients, so I could skip that part of the booty-recipe.

I wish you good luck!

18. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also have the nystatin yeast infection cream. For us, if the desitin (or whatever cream you prefer, I prefer aveeno myself), clears up the diaper rash in a couple of days, you're fine. If it's getting worse, it's probably a yeast infection. We do a layer of nystatin, a layer of cream and a layer of cornstarch baby powder every diaper change. As someone said, layer it on THICK so you aren't wiping all the way to the skin each time. The nystatin kills the yeast, the cream and cornstarch help keep the skin dry so the yeast doesn't spread. Yeast thrives in a warm, wet environment. Couple this with oatmeal baths (I throw a couple of cups of quaker oatmeal into an old sock and tie in closed. Toss in the bathtub and squeeze it a bit to get the oatmeal juice out. Lasts 2 baths then I need a new sock. Nylon's work as well, so does cheese cloth or a small mesh weave bag). Sometimes we bath them twice a day if it's really bad. It should start clearing up within a couple of days.

19. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

for us what worked was the Aquaphor thick layer then a good diaper cream. I think we used Desitin and/or Triple Paste, which ever we had... once the rash came back under control we would put a layer of plain petroleum jelly on their bottoms as a barrier.

things that cause runny stools for us, and thus causing rashes...

bananas, milk, ice-cream, yogurt, soy etc.

I had cut most of that out and still had rashes this past spring... when I finally cut out the whole-milk yogurt... and wham... the rashes pretty much stopped.

good luck! I hate yucky poopies that cause rashes!

20. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

TRIPLE PASTE........I swear by it for severe diaper rash....it is expensive($20 for a jar) but it WORKS! At least for me :)
    They sell it at my local shop rite and CVS

21. weberboys

weberboys Member