diapering babies...what tools really needed?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by alexafaeh, Jan 6, 2008.

1. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

hello ladies...

I keep receiving stuff from my babies shower list, which is great, I am putting everything on my diaper stations, we have one upstairs and one downstairs, so far I received other things too and I have the following:

baby powder
    desitin
    baby jelly (vaseline)
    baby lotion
    wipes and diapers

underneith: (I do have tons of storage)
    extra clothes, hats and socks
    swaddling blankets and regular blankets
    disposable diaper bags
    burp clothes and bibs

I am just wondering, what is really necessary to putt on babies butts while diapering? I thought the desitin is only for rashes...or do you use it all the time?

what about the vaseline and the powder?

thank you!
    ALEXA

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

It's not recommended to use baby powder. Even if you're using it far from their faces, it still puts a lot of little particles in the air that they can breathe in.

As far as various butt creams - it just depends on the baby. Some babies never need it, some need it all the time as a preventive measure. You can use plain Vaseline, or the Desitin... Again, different things work for different babies. My magic bullet for diaper rash is a mixture of ~equal parts lanolin, vaseline, and zinc cream.

HTH! :)

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

90% of the time I would just wipe and diaper them. I used desitin or Triple Paste only when they had a rash. NEVER used the baby powder, I threw it out about 6 months ago--around my boys 5th birthday, and it was still shrink wrapped.

4. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

Agree with pp on baby powder. I still have some from first DD that she never used. I may have used it once or twice in the summer when it was hot (and I was too cheap to turn the air on) and I put it under in her neck from all her drooling...it helped. For diaper changing you may just want to have vasaline with the diaper. Until you can tell if they are babies that get red/irritated often. If they don't you don't need anything but the diaper. If they get rashes the vasaline will help prevent or you can use an ointment like A&D. My ped never liked the creamy diaper rash cream because it dries the skin out and I found they never really helped my older dd. The A&D ointment worked well and you get the off-brand at Walmart for a little over $1...works great! But every baby is different so since you probably have everything under the sun from your shower try them all and see what works best when they have a rash. Congrats on your new babies!!

5. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

We use desitin as soon as they get even a hint of pink. It works so well. I gave all the baby powder away last week as my PED said to never use it. He said if you really want to keep things dry, just put on a little cornstarch., but even that was not highly recommended.

We wipe and put a diaper on most changes and only when they are pink do we use anything.

We used vaseline on Thomas' circumcision but that was the kind in a tube, not a jar.

We also use baby lotion after baths and most mornings

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a good stock of everything. My girls are 16 months old and the only time I have used baby powder...was to get sand off my feet at the beach. :D I don't use it on my girls. I usually wipe and diaper. I only use A&D Ointment if they are getting red or have a rash.

7. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ Jan 6 2008, 04:56 PM) [snapback]559740[/snapback]
    90% of the time I would just wipe and diaper them. I used desitin or Triple Paste only when they had a rash. NEVER used the baby powder.

Me too.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Same as pp RE: diaper cream and never using the powder.. But I want to add that do use diaper cream (California Baby) every night now that they sleep through so it protects them against wetness.

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

You probably won't need the vaseline unless you are circumcising. If you are, then you'll use a lot the first week or so and then probably won't need it again. Like others have said, you might as well put away the baby powder as well. Whether or not you put on diaper cream at every change will depend on how sensitive your baby's skin is to the chemicals and plastics in the diapers, their pee, and their poop. When my girls were in disposables, I put cream on at every change and put a lot on at night. Once we switched to cloth the only time I needed cream was if their poop was really acidic and had given them a quick rash.

We also went through a lot of clothes while using disposables so having those close by is a good idea. :)

10. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

the most exotic thing we put on their behinds was Burt's Bees hand cream and aquaphor. We had desitin, boudreax's, dr smiths, triple paste and an Rx cream, but we just didn't use it really. For diapering, we kept diapers (we cloth diapered), a stack of prefold cloth diapers as changing pads, washcloths and a spray bottle of water. I think you can be as well stocked or as simple as you find you like to be, and you'll do fine :)

11. shalo

shalo Member

agree with pp about the baby powder, we have never used it. One of my babies has had problems with severe diaper rash ever since he has been born, we tried everything, frequent diapering, desiten, a&d, vasaline, nothing worked, and he was so red, everytime I used desitin, I guess it burned because he would just scream. My pedi told me to buy "all vegatable Crisco" it's in a blue tub, and it has to be the all vegatable kind. I looked at him like he was crazy, but was willing to try anything at this point, and let me tell ya, that stuff works wonders. The next morning, his rash was almost completely gone. I use it at the first sign of a rash, and it clears it right up. I hate the yuckiness of it(greasy) but hey, whatever works. People look at me like "why are you putting crisco on your baby?"And I tell them the same thing. Now, a few of my friends have told me they use it and wouldnt use anything else.

12. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

Diapers & wipes. Aquaphor for occasional rashes or bumps. That's it for us.

13. nikkisix

nikkisix Well-Known Member

We have the diaper creams and wipes on top of the changing table, diapers in a basket underneath--its a bookshelf type table--burp clothes in another basket, and bibs in a basket next to that. we also keep the vaseline (for taking temps) thermometers, bulb syringe, nail clippers, hair brush at the changing table. also no powder here. baby lotion is in their bedroom nursery for after bath. Oh and we also have diaper genies next to both tables so no need for dirty diaper bags :)

14. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

I didn't like Desitin, I used Aveeno cream... on the diaper station I had wipes, powder and Aveeno cream. Didn't ever use Vaseline on them. I also had a thermometer w/ covers handy... in the first 6 months the pedi will want any temp readings done rectally, which means doing it ontop of a clean diaper on the changing table. i also had the nose suction thing in the basket. i only use powder when it's really hot out.

I didnt use lotion on them. I did bathe them daily and they didnt suffer from cradle cap or anything.

Under neath I had the diapers, socks, swaddling blankets on one shelf in baskets. the bottom shelf had the crib sheets.

Burp cloths were in a basket next to the chair I was BF in. I had a table next to that chair which had creams etc for myself in a basket.

15. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

I've been putting vaseline on at every diaper change! It seems to keep them very clear tho, I guess I don't need to! We keep wipes, vaseline and their vitamin D drops on top of the table, diapers, breast pads, and misc. creams and gifty stuff, burp cloths in the drawers, and extra diapers, wipes, lotions, air freshener, and baby powder (which I hear I'll never use!) in the cupboard! I have the laundry on one side and the diaper pail on the other. Have fun!