diapers

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pretty girl, May 6, 2015.

1. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

My SO wants to stock up on diapers before the twins get here. Should we get a big thing of newborns or should we just get small ones? My almost 3 year old was in newborns until almost 2 months and she was born at 8lbs 5 oz.

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My two were in newborn diapers for the first month or so.  The size 1 would have swallowed them!  I guess some of it depends on if they are in the NICU for awhile or come straight home - my kids came home at 3 days old.

If you buy a big box of newborn size and don't open them and keep the receipt, you can exchange them later for size 1 if needed.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I could have used a small box of preemie at first. My guys were kind of tiny when we brought them home.

Beyond that, a couple of boxes of newborn.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine were in preemie dipes until they were over a month old and then went to newborn/size 1.  Also don't go by the weight on the box.  I always knew when to go up a size when they started peeing through them regardless of weight.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two were in premie diapers for the first few weeks-born at 4 and 5 lbs.   We did use a lot of Newborn/size 1 after that.

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine wore newborn diapers for quite a while, we went through several boxes of those before moving to the next size.

I also found that the fit of different brands varies within the same size, I needed to move to the next size earlier with some brands than with others. Fit and soaking through them as PP said are more relevant than the weights given on the packaging.