Did anyone use store-brand formula?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mar66rus2, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

We are using Enfamil Gentlease for the girls. So far the only formula we have had to buy was when when we were at the lake and ran out. All of the rest has been free from Enfamil (we are soooo thankful for it too). We are down to our last two cans though and will be buying it this week. I do have $7 and $5 coupons for Enfamil so we will use those up first.

I was at Target though with my sis the other night and saw that they make their own brand of the Enfamil and it is obviously cheaper. I said something to my sis and she said she knew people who used Walmart-brand formula.

I was wondering if anyone used store-brand formula? Did it work just as well with your babies?

April

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

We eventually switched to Parent's Choice(Wal-Mart brand), and they did fine with it!

3. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Sep 17 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]411142[/snapback]
    We are using Enfamil Gentlease for the girls. So far the only formula we have had to buy was when when we were at the lake and ran out. All of the rest has been free from Enfamil (we are soooo thankful for it too). We are down to our last two cans though and will be buying it this week. I do have $7 and $5 coupons for Enfamil so we will use those up first.

I was at Target though with my sis the other night and saw that they make their own brand of the Enfamil and it is obviously cheaper. I said something to my sis and she said she knew people who used Walmart-brand formula.

I was wondering if anyone used store-brand formula? Did it work just as well with your babies?

April

We use the target lacto-free and soy without a problem. A friend uses the soy with her son and it is the only formula he will take. :)

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Sep 17 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]411146[/snapback]
    We eventually switched to Parent's Choice(Wal-Mart brand), and they did fine with it!

That is what we switched to when the twins were about 3 months {that's how much free formula we had} They did fine on it. My ped was the one who recommended switching to save some $$.

5. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

We started using Target brand formula when DS was about 2 1/2 months when all my free formula was gone. He has been on it ever since.

6. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

If money is an issue... Try to qualify for WIC. Its actually really easy to qualify and most people wouldnt even think that they qualify. I get 9 cans of formula for each baby each month. And they will give you whatever your baby needs. I am using enfimil Lipil with iron for one and gentlease for the other...

7. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]411142[/snapback]

April

I used Kroger brand gentle-ease with my boys and they did better on that (less spitting up, less gas) than the name brand! All formula has to meet certain requirements so store brands are just as good as name brands as far as nutrition goes. :)

8. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AshleyLD @ Sep 17 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]411237[/snapback]
    If money is an issue... Try to qualify for WIC. Its actually really easy to qualify and most people wouldnt even think that they qualify. I get 9 cans of formula for each baby each month. And they will give you whatever your baby needs. I am using enfimil Lipil with iron for one and gentlease for the other...

Same here. We get 10 cans a month for each baby.
    Missy

9. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

I haven't had to buy formula YET, but my pedi said it was totally fine....and I do plan on buying generic when the free stuff runs out!

10. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We've used the Target brand for a while now. FDA standards require ALL generic brands to have the same contents as brand name, give or take a very small percentage. So, you're basically buying the exact same thing, just paying less. If you compare the information on the back of the can (Target brand vs. Enfamil with Lipil) the ingredients are exactly the same.

11. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

We used Parent's Choice (WalMart brand) for the first 6-8 weeks until we had to switch to Enfamil AR for serious spit up issues. We never had a problem with it, I just could never add rice to any formula and get it to flow through the nipples right.

12. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

We've been using the Sam's club version of Enfamil with Lipids. They never noticed, although the color is slightly more yellow for some reason.

13. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

We started on the Sam's Club brand a few months ago and it rocks. Its a HUGE can for $20. It lasts us about 7-8 days.

14. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

We will be switching to Member's Mark, the Sam's Club brand, when our stash runs out.

15. dhubof

dhubof Well-Known Member

I use the Sam's Club brand. It is comparable to Enfamil Lipil. It is 20.00 for 51 oz. It lasts me about a week. I have some cans of Enfamil and 2 cases of the concentrate Enfamil. The girls will only drink the generic brand! Luckily my SIL is pregnant so I can give hem to her. :D

16. jennlynnmahan

jennlynnmahan Well-Known Member

We switched from the Enfamil Gentlease to the Parent's Choice Gentle without any problems. Definitely a money saver!

17. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

When the formula bill was mounting, I really wanted to switch to Sam's. It is a HUGE can and it is about 20.00. I called a friend who is a pharmacist and asked her. She said as others have posted, that they are all regulated by the FDA and virtually the same. We switched and saved A TON of money! The boys never had a problem. (I do have to say that they had very strong stomachs and could drink anything without problems) Best of luck!

18. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Most of the store brands are made by PBM Nutritionals. We always used the store brand with the twins and with Liam. We used Parent's Choice (WalMart) but now buy the BJs brand it is $20 for a 3 lb 3.4 oz can. If you call their 800 number (1-800-272-5095), you may be able to get coupons for whichever store brand you want. We've had no problems with it.

19. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much everyone! As for WIC, I am pretty sure DH makes to much to qualify. I looked into it before the girls were born since I was freaking out about how much it was going to cost us in formula. I didn't know though that we would get so much in formula for free til I was in the hospital with them. Like I said, we are so grateful for it.

Since it sounds like many of you have used either Target, Walmart or Sam's Club formula, we will probably make the switch to save money.

Thank you again....I am so glad I have this place to go to for questions like this.

April

20. llabbee

llabbee Member

QUOTE(mar66rus2 @ Sep 17 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]411876[/snapback]
    I didn't know though that we would get so much in formula for free til I was in the hospital with them. Like I said, we are so grateful for it.

how did you get free formula? from the hospital??

21. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I got NO free formula save for 2 VERY small cans from Similac and a 6 pack of RTF from Enfamil...

I had to switch to soy formula when the twins weren't tolerating the milk based so once they started tolerating Isomil I was too afraid to switch and just rode it out...a case of 6 cans of Isomil (value sized cans) from BRU or Target was about $130 and it lasted me a month...

22. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We did! We used a combination of Bright Beginnings brand (sold at Walgreens and Brooks), which I always had coupons for which brought it down to like $13-15 a can, or any store brand made by the same company (WalMart was one). It's PBM Nutritionals, just look on the back of the store brand and see if it's made by them. If you do that, you are buying the same formula, just a different label. That way, you don't have to worry that you are switching formulas. I hope that all made sense!

23. dalilja

dalilja Well-Known Member

We use the Target brand and Parent's Choice. It seems to be the exact same formula (scooper, label and all). So I switch back and forth depending on what store is closest when I need some stock!

My boys do just fine on both!

24. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

I had used Similac until I ran out of free samples and coupons. Then I switched to the Costco brand. I noticed that it created a lot of bubbles, but other than that didn't notice any difference. The boys didn't seem to notice the difference.

25. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My hospital sent us home with a case of high calorie preemie formula and then every time we saw our pediatrician, he would help me carry out tons of formula out to our car. He gets it for free, so he would just hand it over. It was AWESOME!! Between the doctor and Sam's Club formula, we were able to save a lot of money. You can ask you pediatrician if he has some, mine would always have a ton under the exam tables.

26. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cristina @ Sep 18 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]412708[/snapback]
    My hospital sent us home with a case of high calorie preemie formula and then every time we saw our pediatrician, he would help me carry out tons of formula out to our car. He gets it for free, so he would just hand it over. It was AWESOME!! Between the doctor and Sam's Club formula, we were able to save a lot of money. You can ask you pediatrician if he has some, mine would always have a ton under the exam tables.

Wow, must be nice. We were given some at the hospital, but our pediatrican gave us nothing. :-( Maybe I have to ask.

27. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

Wish our peds offered up formula.

DS was sent home from Special Care on the NeoSure. The nurses knew we were moving and so one nurse gave me 2 cases of RTF the night before we brought him home and the next day when I went to pick him up the nurse (loved her) gave us 4 more cases of RTF and 2 bottles of RTF NeoSure along with everything from his cabinet and she had just stocked his drawer the night before with diapers so we would have more to bring home. She was awesome. Thought the basket on the stroller was going to break from the weight of the formula :) She then walked us downstairs and stayed with the baby and everything while I went and got the car.

28. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

Guess I am the oddball again...our doc who is family friend advised us not to use off-brand. We always ask him what would he do with his kiddos. He said that although they have to meet same regulations, the quality of casings, etc does not have to be the same. I've known lots of people who use it, though without problems. I was VERY tempted b/c of price, but eventually just stuck with Similac.

29. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We did use store brand until we needed to switch to AR but it was fine with our guys.

30. klselsky

klselsky Well-Known Member

Ditto above! How did I not hear about this free formula??? I am going to ask my pedi if there is a comparable store brand to similac advance.

31. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

We got two huge diaper bags of NeoSure and then my local doc/np was giving me some to have for when they took me off the preemie formula. Call Enfamil, they will send you a case per child for free when you state that you had twins. ;) THye might have to verify it but it was so easy for me.
    My np still gives me a ton and i ask the pedi at every appt and they load me up. Yes just ask them and they will provide to you. The nurses there tell me to call if i want when i am out. I will do it i have yet to pay full price for a single can of formula... WIth all the discounts and the docs offices helping me out. Mine will be 5 months on sunday!

32. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

I have used the Parents Choice brand, Members Mark from Sams, and regular old Enfamil with Lipids, since they were born and I have never noticed a difference in them. The Ped still gives us free Enfamil at appointments, every little bit helps :)