Did you Delay 1 year shots?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nadana77, Jul 9, 2008.

1. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am concerned about the one year shots since our babies are preemies. They were given all the other shots on the sched time.
    Did any of you delay the 1 year shots? If so, which ones did you delay and did you let them have any at the 1 year visit? Could you give me any info that would be helpful in making our decission?
    We are so mixed about what to do at this time.

Thanks for the Help!

2. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I delayed MMR and declined chicken pox all together.

My girls are tiny little peanuts so I was afraid of the MMR right now. I plan on doing it around Age 2.

3. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

I delayed the MMR at their 12-month visit. I was going to do it at 15-months, but we'll see how I feel about it then.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I declined all of the 12 month shots. I'll do MMR later but not chicken pox. For good general advice on vaccines you can read The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears. He has an alternate vaccine schedule and information on what all of the vaccines contain and their reactions.

5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We've delayed all the shots, started at 6 months and getting only one or two at a time, slowly. So, we're still working our way through HIB, IPV and Prevnar.

So, yes, we haven't gotten MMR or Varicella (chicken pox) yet. I'll probably do MMR at age 2, before they start preschool. I'm on the fence about Varicella.

I second The Vaccine Book -- excellent info, with very little propaganda.

6. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

we had all our shots. they came out of it fine. i am not going to do the booster shot for chicken pox though. i want them to get it when they are older but not now i dont want them to get it. it is bad for them when they are older to get them so i figure if they get them when they are 5 or 6 then thats good. so i am not going to get the booster shot.

7. kristy horner

kristy horner Well-Known Member

We had all of ours on time, until 12 months. We've delayed MMR and pneumococcal until later (prob 2). If I had read the book before that I'm reading now, I would've adopted the alternate schedule from an earlier age and will do so with any future children. I'm reading Dr. Kenneth Bock's "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics"...I think I'll check out the ones PP are talking about too.. I just want to be well informed and take no chances! Good luck with your decisions. Oh, there's also an alternate schedule in Bock's book...in the back.

8. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we started a slower schedule with the MMR (wish we had done it sooner). Basically we spilt up the MMR, but they did get the first of 3 vaccines starting at 1 year old. It took about 3-4 months to finish it.

At their 18 month visit, they got one shot with Dtap and something else. We are delaying chicken pox.

I'm not doing this as methodically as some people, just trying to go slow.

9. rensejk

rensejk Well-Known Member

Ours were supposed to get MMR, Chickenpox, and a Hepatitis (not sure which one, maybe A) on their first birthday visit. I told my doctor I wanted to delay at least one of those and she felt Hep. was the safest one to put off. So they got two shots instead of 3. I was super nervous but everything went just fine. They did get quite a bit of diarrhea though that lasted a couple weeks after the shots. It is finally clearing up now.

I was just reading in one of our parenting magazines that apparently kids only use around 5% of their immune system to deal with immunizations when they get them. I have no idea how they calculated that though.

Good Luck!

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We did not delay. My girls got all their shots on the pedi's recommended schedule.

11. caba

caba Banned

Mine were only schedule for Chicken Pox and something else I can't remember ... not MMR (that's 15 months) ... we got them both.

Their 15 month appt as Monday, and we opted out of MMR, postponed until 2. We will get there other 15 month shots (Hep A and something else) but not till we come back from vacaiotn in 2 weeks.

12. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

No delay on any of the boys. Cody had 3 today. MMR is at 15 months.

Just a side note about the chicken pox. In order to enroll the boys in kindergarten, they had to get a second chicken pox vaccine.

13. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

mine didn't get any till they were 11 mo right before they started day care. then they got dtap, polio, hib and pneumonococus vaccinations. still haven't done the mmr. don't plan to do any other ones in the future.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins were preemies and we did not delay any vaxs. They are fully vaxed according to our peds schedule.

15. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

Our ped does MMR and Chicken Pox at 12 months along with boosters for Dtap, Hib and Prevnar.

We had our 12 month appointment this morning and did not get any shots as Elizabeth was having a mjor allergic reaction to mandarin oranges and the PED wanted the rash to clear up first.

Next week I will take them for the 3 boosters. After they turn 2 they will get the MMR shot. If they hit puberty and have not had chicken pox, they will get the chicken pox vaccine at that point. Our PED totally was on board with all of this.

Thomas is being watched very closely for autism and the PED doesnt think we should take chances with the MMR shot.

16. Alli Baby

Alli Baby Well-Known Member

We declined all of the 12 month shots (chicken pox, MMR, and Hep A). Out of those, we will give MMR at 2 years. All prior vac's were given on time btw.

I read The Vaccine Book (Sears) and learned soooo much. He's not anti-vac. Rather, he give you all the facts and an alternate shot schedule. It's a great book to check out. I read it first from the public library and ended up buying it for myself.

17. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Jul 9 2008, 05:11 PM) [snapback]867958[/snapback]
    We've delayed all the shots, started at 6 months and getting only one or two at a time, slowly. So, we're still working our way through HIB, IPV and Prevnar.

So, yes, we haven't gotten MMR or Varicella (chicken pox) yet. I'll probably do MMR at age 2, before they start preschool. I'm on the fence about Varicella.

I second The Vaccine Book -- excellent info, with very little propaganda.

This almost exactly. Though I'm wondering if I want to just delay the MMR, or have it divided up. Not sure on that one yet...

18. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We have had every shot on schedule with no problems at all.

19. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We did not delay. Mine got all their shots on the pedi's recommended schedule.

20. Username

Username Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mich17 @ Jul 9 2008, 02:59 PM) [snapback]868195[/snapback]
    No delay on any of the boys. Cody had 3 today. MMR is at 15 months.

Just a side note about the chicken pox. In order to enroll the boys in kindergarten, they had to get a second chicken pox vaccine.

You can opt out for different reasons depending on your state. (religious, medical, etc)

We delay/selectively vax, so the girls don't have any yet.

21. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I delay all the shots so that they get them one at a time and in a more spread out time frame. After reading an article by Dr. Sears about all the aluminum in shots (there are ridiculous amounts that are being intravenously injected into our children) which hasn't been tested for safety I see no reason to overexpose the kids to that. With Dax, my doctor had us finish our Prevnar series, then finish our DTAP series, and then we'll look at getting the MMR.

ETA: I saw someone mentioned the Vaccine Book. I definitely think everyone should read that!

22. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

The babies had the first shot in the hospital and then at their net appt I wanted to delay, but the ped wouldn't listen. They had that series, but no other shots since. My older boys are up to date. I did opt out of the pheumococcal with them. We ended up leaving our ped, just because they wouldn't listen.
    We too just felt like we needed to wait with our preemies. Now I'm uncertain as to what they will end up getting. But they will definitely not be having the MMR before maybe say 3 yrs old. And the others we will wait until we are comfortable giving them. I just really don't like a lot of the ingrediants in them.
    To this day I wonder if my oldest son's allergies were spurred on by his shots. The twins take after him in so many ways, I just don't want to take the risk with them.
    I hope you can come up with a schedule that works for your family. It's really hard to decide what and when.

23. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your helpful advise! If you have anymore please keep it coming!
    Being first time parents, we just don't want anything to go wrong if it is something we can prevent. I feel like our pedi is too laid back on some issues!

24. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

We delayed all shots from 12 months until 2 years. At their 2 year appointment, I let them get them get the DTAP and HiB. I plan to delay the MMR until age 3 and will be separating them into individual vaccines, which luckily my pedi offers and supports.

If you are looking for information on this topic, I found this book to be extremely helpful to me. Much of the book is dedicated to treatments for autism, allergies, etc. which I mostly skimmed over. However, there's a few chapters dedicated to explaining in easy terms why vaccinations may cause issues, and a guide for what vaccines to give when. The doctor does advocate giving vaccines, just on a very different schedule than is currently followed by most pedis. The information helped me to see that there is a middle ground that I could be comfortable with - vaccinating on a more logical schedule.

25. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We decided to separate out the MMR vaccine into Measles, Mumps & Rubella, each given several months apart. We get the separated vax's from Hopewell Pharmacy in NJ. Just google it-- your doc can fax a Rx to them and then you call them directly and have it shipped to you (or your doc's office).

HTH if you decide to go that route! :)

26. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

Mine have not gotten their MMR or their chicken pox vax. I was so stressed out about it but just kind of talked through it with their ped and she was very understanding. My boys have a lot of allergies one being egg so there was a risk of a severe reaction. She was fine with it and didn't push the issue and said we could revisit the subject later on. They have gotten all of their other vaccines on schedule. If you are really agonizing about it, I think you have to listen to your gut and just talk through it with their pediatrcian if you need to hold off, hold off.

27. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

We did not delay any vaccinations. We have had no issues with any of them. Mine were about 19 pounds each at their one year shots, born at 35 4/7 weeks.

Good luck with your decision.

28. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

We haven't had our last two children vaccinated. I didn't feel like we had any good resources about them. Thanks for mentioning those books. I will check them out. At this point though, we are not planning on vaccinating our twins, but I'm willing to read those books. It's also neat to read about everyone else's choices.

29. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we vaxed our children on the pedi's schedule with no side effects (and ours were 3.8 lbs and 4.8 lbs at birth and under 20 lbs at a year)...

30. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

My pedi's schedule is to delay the MMR /Chicken Pox till 15 or 18 mos. I can't remember :umm: But we did them on schedule.

31. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinboys07 @ Jul 10 2008, 09:41 PM) [snapback]870787[/snapback]
    We decided to separate out the MMR vaccine into Measles, Mumps & Rubella, each given several months apart. We get the separated vax's from Hopewell Pharmacy in NJ. Just google it-- your doc can fax a Rx to them and then you call them directly and have it shipped to you (or your doc's office).

HTH if you decide to go that route! :)

Thanks for that information. I have been wondering how I might be able to do that since my pedi doesn't have the separated vaccines at their office! (I know I have a few years- but still, good to know :D )

32. becky5

becky5 Guest

Cathy(2Gherkins), created a great sticky for us on the subject of vaccines, in the Health Issues and Special Needs forum. There is lots of great info in there!

Here is the thread.

We vaccinated on schedule.

33. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

We didn't delay - they have gotten everything up to date except the Chicken Pox vaccination which I didn't realize that I had to ask for :)

34. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

We did a different shot schedule. My twins were selected to be in a research study for a menangitis vaccine. We took our son out of it at the 12 month visit because he was chosen to receive that vaccine, along with MMR, Varicella, Hep A, Heb B, Hib, and DTAP. That was way too many shots at one time for me. We took him out of the study and he received Hep A at 12 months, Heb B and Prevnar at 15 months.

Our daughter stayed in the study because she was selected to only receive the study vaccine and Prevnar at 12 months. She had a seizure 24 hours after that vaccine. Then, at 15 months, we decided to start only doing one vaccine at a time "just in case" that ever happened again. We wanted to be sure and know which vaccine caused it. She received DTAP at 15 months and had another seizure the next day.

We're delaying all the rest of her shots for a while now. We're also delaying MMR and varicella for our son until age 2. Our doctor wishes they'd make that the mandate. He says that would end all the debate. When we do decide to give MMR and varicella to them, we're splitting up the MMR. We'll do measles first, then mumps 3-6 months later, then rubella 3-6 months after that. I don't know yet if we're going to mess with the chicken pox vaccine for them or not.

We're just going to let her get a little bigger before giving her any more. Those seizures were horrible and very, very scary.