Did you give up a career to be a SAHM?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dtomecko, Aug 19, 2008.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I did. I used to be an Accountant/Financial Analyst for a large global Corporation. I don't really miss it, I never really enjoyed it - hours were awful, lots of stress. I used to ask myself why did I choose this field again? But it still fit me and I was good at my job, and I'm not sure what else I would have done. The things I do miss most: feeling intelligent around my peers, my friends at work, and the income - (not that I was a big spender, we saved $ knowing I wanted to be a SAHM and it took a LONG time to get pregnant), but it was nice to go shopping or to be able to go out and do things and not having to worry about every dollar spent.

I wouldn't really change anything, I'm still happy to be a SAHM (most days!) but I can't help but wonder if other SAHM's were in a similar situation and made the same choices. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds and have the time and ability to do something part time. I'm just not finding anything in my field that is flexible enough. Which leads me to ask myself again, if I could do it all over what should I have gone to school for? And I still can't figure out what I would want to be when I grow up - so I guess I made the right call with being a SAHM for now.

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I can relate a lot to your post. Although, there was a lot I liked being in Nonprofit Management. I did question myself when I stopped working, like was this the right job, etc.? The conclusion I've come to is, I think I was in the right field, but instead of working in a large healthy agency, maybe I would be better off working for a school or hospital. Schools especially have better hours. Since I was planning/thinking of being home until my babies were in school, I was planning on starting a masters degree next fall, when DH was done with his. Working FT and having kids would not have allowed me to get a masters degree - or should I say not very easily. Personally, I feel like I've been able to grow a lot as a person during my time home. I hope you find the right solution for you! HTH :) .

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I worked for an industrial painting company, I was one of the secretaries. I did job set up, costing, proposals, quarterly and end of year reports, purchasing, just about everything but paint. I was good at my job and it paid nicely. At one point I was 5 minutes away from home until I moved in with DH. Since we have to live in the city, I went from a 5 minute commute to almost an hour. Before I had the babies, I started on my masters degree and was definitely going to do a career change. The babies came at the right time because I started my clinical work and I would have definitely would have had to go to part time anyway. I am hoping to be a school counselor, I think the hours will work great for our family and I am hoping to find something much closer to home. I did like my old job but I could not see myself doing it forever.

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

My last job was very interesting and a lot of fun. I got to work with my DH (at the same company) and we'd get to eat lunch together and things like that. So I liked aspects of my job. But there were a lot of things I hated. (My boss.)

It's been a huge adjustment staying home, but I've really loved seeing all the milestones along the way. Now I'm going back to school to get my master's degree and couldn't be happier. I know when I'm done jobs will be a lot better and so will the salary. And I know that it will be a lot easier for me to find a pretty flexible job. (Maybe only work 3 days/week.)

5. Shellstwins

Shellstwins Member

I worked for a large company as a Human Resource Manager. I quit working when I was 15 weeks pregnant and I have not looked back since! I love staying home with the babies. I do miss adult interaction but I wouldn't trade this time for anything.

6. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I posted this same question in the TS Parents Club last week. I used to work in the financial industry. I was Series 7 & 63 registered. If you are out of the business for 2 years (or longer) you have to retake the tests. Series 7 is about an 8 hour exam. When I first took it, I was 25 & single. If I were to return, I would have to take it again but this time I will be married with twins. Sure I can do it again, but I'm not sure if I want to.

I hated my job. I was in a catch 22 since it took us 5 years to get pg. If I left for another job, how could I explain all the time off I needed for ivf. The stress I had at this job took it's toll on me. The best thing I did was quit and 8 months later we got pg with our boys after our 3rd ivf cycle.

The thing I miss most about working is independent income. It's been hard to me to ask DH for money. I've been used to having my own money and as long as the bills and savings were made, I could do whatever I wanted and did not have to answer to anyone. Now it's an entire different ballgame.

But I am very thankful to be a sahm and would not want it any other way.

7. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

After 10wks on bedrest I was working from home the day after I got home from delivering my girls and with a broken tailbone! When I was ready to return to the office a few days a week (6wks pp) I got laid off! Been unemployed since. I guess thats what to expect in construction though.

8. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I gave up my dream job as a denominational youth pastor. That meant I was a pastor to youth pastors and taught people how to work with teenagers. I LOVED my job, the travel, the responsibility, the creativity, the kids, etc. But I had two older kids, and there was no way I could have four kids and work, and I didn't even know how hard twins would be!

But I don't regret it. I was able to juggle it with two kids and an excellent in home childcare. But with four kids, the kids would pay the price for me trying to do too much. SO, I am at home. I miss it, but know this is best for the kids, and hope someday I can use my brain again!

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I did too. I was Veterinary Technician and I miss it terribly. I worked in an emergency center and worked with the critical care team. I loved helping animals. I worked long hours on my feet and there was nothing I would rather do than help. DH spent many a night eating dinner alone. I stopped when I was in my 3rd trimester with my older DD 4 years ago. Then we had the boys 2.5 years later.

There is many a day when I would love to go back to work and then I have days like today when I am glad I am home. I miss the adult interaction a ton. I have maybe a handful of friends and most of them either work full time or have kids older than mine or around my older DD's age. So I spend a lot of time by myself with the kids.

I will wait until the end of the year and the boys will by 2. At that point I may start to look for a nanny and work a few days a week. Or I may just continue to hang out with them and be a SAHM for a bit longer. The years really go by fast but some days drag on forever. ;)

10. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I put on hold a career in economic development to stay home. When i was working, I was the Director of a Women's Business Center, then a microenterprise incubator. I recently passed up the opportunity to manage another incubator so I could be here with the girls. I am working at home, but not in the field I love. I help DH run his handyman business and take on a consulting/graphic design client here and there. I'm always looking for a creative way to work in my field and still be home though.

11. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

i am not a SAHM because I just got my PhD in Mol. Bio. 2 weeks before the girls were born and I feel like I need to move forward with my carreer - but I was recently having lunch with another twin mom who is also in academia and we were talking about how some days we would rather be at home. I was home with my girls for the first three months and going mad with boredom but some days I really get sick of working long hours for very low pay just so one day I could maybe have a great job with decent money. My friend was saying how she knows three other moms on her street who have either PhD's or MD's who decided to put their careers on hold to be at home with their kiddos. It is definately very appealing at times but I fear being left behind professionally. Just wanted to add my two cents.

12. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I have a social work degree but was working for an oil and gas company as an auditor (which I really liked). In the beginning I think due to boredom I would have loved to have gone back to work, but now I am not so sure. I still feel isolated and a bit bored for sure, but everyday I am starting to enjoy this mom role more and more.

13. bighairwoman

bighairwoman Well-Known Member

I dont think of it as giving up, more like postponing.
    I still work 20 hours a week from home in corporate property (reporting and budgeting) as well as being a full time SAHM however this is now more menial work with less responsibility. I couldnt cope with the pressure of my old job and dont want to.
    I even felt a bit anxious when I started back doing this after 6 months, I think it would be a lot worse returning to the workforce after years.
    I always thought I could have it all work and family - however the juggle (struggle) really hard.

14. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I worked up until Beth and Jackie were a year and a half, and then my job got eliminated. It wasn't my choice, but it was one of the better things that has happened in my life. I have a BS in metallurical engineering and most of my Masters in statistics. I worked in manufacturing, and did a lot of process improvement projects and trouble shooting. I was really good at it, and liked it, but there were a lot of long hours and stress.

Now I have even longer hours and more stress, but I'm more appreciated. And the pay is better in a lot of ways. Huge hugs and lots of versions of "I love you Mommy". I would be missing this if I were still working so much. So, this is the right thing for me, right now. Once everyone is in school, that might change, but for now, I'm having a great time!

15. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your posts, they were so interesting to read and made me feel better. Like I said, I never liked my job much - but it was mainly the hours and the stress of the Corporate environment - plus a long commute. If I were still there I'd see my babies sleeping in the morning and come home to find them sleeping at night. So I definitely made the right call leaving there. But I do think as someone else said, a similar job in a different industry may fit better once the kids are in school. It was also comforting to see some of you are planning on working towards something different to get back in the field at a later time, and others just aren't sure yet. I fit somewhere in between - I'm afraid the longer I'm out of the field I'll lose my knowledge and it will be tough to find a job at the level I was at before (maybe not such a bad thing), but at the same time I'm not sure I want to go back to it anyway. Anyway, it was just nice to see other people's perspectives. Especially since I'm the only one of my friends that is a SAHM. Thanks again.