Did you think they were fraternal, only to find out they are id?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by HT, Feb 20, 2008.

1. HT

HT Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of people asking if my twins are id. I think they look different, but I do occasionally mix them up myself. They are di/di, but have the same blood type, color eyes and auburn hair so there is definitely the possibility. Main difference is one baby has more hair and a rounder face. I would love to do testing later on when we have the money. The thing I worry about is it seems all the people that think their twins are id on the first year board, always seem to get an id result. So are the mail-in testing companies reliable? I'm posting on this board since I think more parents probably find out if their twins are id or fraternal as they get older. Anyone out there think their twins were id, but found out they were fraternal after testing. Hope this makes sense!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/ma...06503resize.jpg

2. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

yours look id to me.. and quite beautiful.. i dont know how reliable anything but looks are:)

3. Soon2Bmotherof3

Soon2Bmotherof3 Well-Known Member

I would think yours were identical too. I haven't done testing and don't know if I will. Am 99% certain they are id based on doctors, pathology report and the fact that I mix them up sometimes.

4. my2littlebubbas

my2littlebubbas Well-Known Member

My opinion is that they are identical. Cute little buggers. My boys are identical and we knew right from the start.

5. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

I think they do look similar enough to be ID. It appears that one carries some of their weight in their face (no I don't think she is fat...just has a fuller face), while the other doesn't...(mine are the same way).

I noticed a few things that made me think mine were ID (and I had them tested and I was right)....
    Their hair style (they both have very curly hair), their hair line, their heights and weights are very close and their 2 front bottom teeth are angled at the same spot for both of them. And DH still can't tell them apart sometimes. My mother is still insisting that they look completely different.

6. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

My vote is for ID.

I don't think you hear of a test coming back fraternal very often, because most people with frats would never test. I couldn't mix my girls up in the dark with a blindfold on, so I obviously never had them tested. I think I've only ever heard of one person (on TS) that got a fraternal result, and I couldn't believe it. I would've sworn her boys to be ID.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

YEah, they look identical to me! My sister and I are identical, but my face is fuller than hers. :)

8. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

I had my girls tested when they were 14 months old because I was tired of not knowing for sure. I thought they would be fraternal since they looked totally different to me and still do. Turns out they were identical! I had the same concerns as you before getting them tested that the companies might be a scam. My girls do have the same blood type and now that they are older people tell me that look totally alike. They are the same height, same hair, same everything pretty much.

When my girls were younger one weighed a couple of pounds more then the other and it made a big difference in how they looked, now they are about a pound different in weight, but at their size it doesn't make that much of a difference. Lauren was also breech and her head was smushed and for a while they looked different because the heads were a different shape.

Your girls look identical to me! For me I just wanted to know for sure...I used Proactive Genetics.

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I thought ours were ID but DH thought they were fraternal and they are ID. Ours are the same as yours in that one has a fuller, rounder face (although he weighs the same as his brother) while the other is more oval. This makes it easy for us to tell them apart but other people struggle (particularly if they aren't together).

Oh, and I agree with the PP who said that you hear about mostly ID results because those with fraternal twins usually don't need to test to know.

10. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Your girls are gorgeous! They look ID to me. I had a gut feeling that mine were ID, everyone else thought so too, but we had done IVF and transferred 2 eggs, had 2 sacks, 2 placentas, so even though I thought they were ID there were a lot of factors against that. The test came back ID. Like your girls, one of mine has a slightly rounder face but hair, eyes, weight, etc. are all the same. DH and I can tell them apart but others have a hard time.

11. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

If you as mommy, who know them best, sometimes mix them up - I'll lay down a bet now that they are ID.
    Mine are fraternal and while they looked like siblings, it was VERY clear that they were fraternal. No one mixed them up. Parents of frats rarely test because it's usually obvious.

The testing centers compare DNA, so I would guess that they are truly accurate.

12. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

[SIZE=18pt]Those little cuties in your picture are so definitely ID!!![/SIZE]

I think most people get ID results in the tests, because if there faternal there is usually no doubt and you don't need the test.

My OB was certain I was having faternal, and there are faternals in my family so I was ready to believe that too.
    The difference in head shape can be explained by the fact they did not occupy the same space in your womb--enviroment plays an important role on what we look like, and even twins can't share the exact environment.

I was going to do the test, but sometime around 18 months I just figured it wasn't worth it--I think your daughters are in the same boat--there's no way the couldn't be identical.

13. kimj

kimj Well-Known Member

I was told my girls were fraternal - 2 mos. ago we had a DNA test - they are ID. I posted same thing on here and all the Moms told me ID! Now I can totally tell them apart - but that's cause I'm their Mom! Their heads / faces are shaped a little different, but no one else can tell them apart - except a few - Normally I wouldn't have done / paid for the test - but this test was done for other reasons - and I had the results in my possesion for about a month and didn't even think to look at their DNA! :huh: When I finally compared - identical dna. Your girls look identical to me. They are just adorable!!

14. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are ID are not - they sure look alike, but one thing I know for sure is they are two beautiful little ladies. I adore the hair (my youngest had auburn hair and I still love it).

15. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

Very much ID to me, my boys had their own placentas and everyone told me they were fraternal right up until I found out through DNA that they are so identical. I decided to inquire because they both had the same blood type which is different than mine or my hubbies so I thought I would find out.

16. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

they are adorable and I would also say identical!!

17. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

identical for sure. they are so cute

18. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

My husband and I both thought our girls were fraternal, but as it turns out they were identical. Like your girls, ours had slightly different head shapes, etc. From listening to a bunch of other moms on here, that seems fairly common for ID twins. For what it's worth, I think your beautiful girls are ID too :)

19. li li

li li Well-Known Member

They're adorable. And very very similar. I seem to remember hearing one time that ID twins usually: teeth in the same order within a few days of one another; have the same ear shape; have the same whorls on their fingers; and the same pattern of hair on their heads. I might be completely wrong with that info (maybe an ID mom could clarify), but it may help. To me they look ID.

20. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

They look id to me too.

21. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I say ID too. I love the hair ! Very pretty.

I never had mine tested .. but am pretty sure they are ID since I am constantly mixing them up and their Dr as well as teachers in school cant ever tell them apart. As mine get older it seems more apparent that they are ID. Same weight, height, eye and hair color. Alot of frats seems to grow at different rates and change so much over the first few years that a test isnt needed.

But I stil think of testing .. just to have it on paper .. kwim ?

22. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Mine are frats. I never had them tested, because it was so obvious they are not ID, as you can see from my avatar. Yours look ID.

23. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(li li @ Feb 21 2008, 12:46 AM) [snapback]632789[/snapback]
    I seem to remember hearing one time that ID twins usually: teeth in the same order within a few days of one another; have the same ear shape; have the same whorls on their fingers; and the same pattern of hair on their heads. I might be completely wrong with that info (maybe an ID mom could clarify), but it may help.

My girls do have the same hair pattern and ear shape, but their teeth came in in different order and at different times. I'm not sure about the fingerprints though.

24. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(HT @ Feb 20 2008, 08:41 PM) [snapback]631876[/snapback]
    I'm so tired of people asking if my twins are id. I think they look different, but I do occasionally mix them up myself. They are di/di, but have the same blood type, color eyes and auburn hair so there is definitely the possibility. Main difference is one baby has more hair and a rounder face. I would love to do testing later on when we have the money. The thing I worry about is it seems all the people that think their twins are id on the first year board, always seem to get an id result. So are the mail-in testing companies reliable? I'm posting on this board since I think more parents probably find out if their twins are id or fraternal as they get older. Anyone out there think their twins were id, but found out they were fraternal after testing. Hope this makes sense!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/ma...06503resize.jpg

Your girls are beautful!! Such little cuties!! I just wanted to tell you that.

I'm tired of ppl asking if my girls are id, too. I'd like to know!

Money is tight around here right now and I was planning to have them tested with some of the rebate money we are supposed to get, then I found out it is for the children you claimed on 2007 taxes. Well, darn! They weren't on our 2007 taxes. Maybe we will be able to swing it. We'll see!

I think your girls are ID.

25. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

My girls were di/di, but they have the same blood type, eye color, hair color, height, weight, etc. Our doctor told us there was still a 25% chance of them being identical even though they had separate sacs/placentas. Around 3 months, we had them tested and found out they were identical! As with several others, their heads are shaped a little different and their hair falls differently. They get their teeth at the same time (but usually on opposite sides) and I think their hair whorl is opposite, which I have been told could be signs of them being mirror image twins. I am waiting to see if one ends up being left handed and one right handed. I can tell them apart, but my husband says he can't always and other people say they can't tell them apart.

26. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

They look id to me, and adorable by the way!

I have the same concerns as you about the legitimatcy about those mail in places. someone on this board once said that most people would only send them away if they looked identical so most of the results would be identical. But I'm still concerned.

I'd love to hear if someone actually got a fraternal result!

Mine are di/di with the same blood type and sure do look a lot alike. When they are in the tub, sometimes I have to look twice to make sure who they are. But i've never actually mixed them up and I certainly can tell them apart day to day.

27. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

I used to wonder this same question myself, but then I realized exactly what the previous posters have stated. If they are fraternal you would know they are fraternal. The only exception would be if all your children tend to look a lot alike. My boys were di/di but I am not going to waste my money on testing as I know they are identical. They look nothing like my older children but exactly like each other with the exception of Cameron having a thinner face than Evan. They both have blue eyes (the rest of the family has brown), they both have wavy blonde hair (me and my other two children have straight, my husband is the only one who has wavy), they got their teeth at the same time in the same order, they are the exact same height and weight, and I mix them up all the time unless they are near one another so I can compare. ;)

If I were you I wouldn't waste your money. I would be shocked if your girls were fraternal!!

You know, you hear a lot about if you have di/di twins there is still a slim chance they could be identical. I actually think they should change the slim part. Based on the women from this site, there are A LOT of di/di twins born who are identical.

28. terilynn12116

terilynn12116 Active Member

Just this last weekend I was asked they're identical aren't they. Well I know for sure they're not. One has hemophilia one doesn't. So I know beyond a doubt. They can look alike and not be id and they can not look so alike and be ID.

good luck with your decision.

Teri

29. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Ours were di/di and we were told fraternal by the Dr.'s. We had them tested and they are ID. Actually, as they get older they are getting even harder to tell apart. Though to me they still look very different.

30. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear if someone actually got a fraternal result!

Actually, there is someone here that found out they were fraternal and for the life of me I can't remember who it was!

31. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cristina @ Feb 21 2008, 01:09 PM) [snapback]633470[/snapback]
    Actually, there is someone here that found out they were fraternal and for the life of me I can't remember who it was!

Could it be Jamie (KYSweetheart)? I know I was shocked when she said that her boys were fraternal!

32. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I'm battling the same dilemma. We don't want to spend the money but I'd love to know for sure. I've started looking at genetic chances of things like hair and eyes. My boys eyes have yet to change, but that will be my deciding factor on the testing. Odds of them having brown eyes are high so if they both have brown eyes I'd like to have them tested, but if they both have blue/green eyes like their dad, then I'll know they are ID. Your girls have such a beautiful color of hair that I don't think is very common. I would think the odds of them both having that gorgeous color are small (but that depends on your hair and your DHs). I hope this helps! I've been trying to think logically before spending so much money. The test is the same as a month of formula for us! Good luck with your decision!

33. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

Just to throw out a whole different perspective on testing.....dh has cousins who are twins, and they too look a lot alike, but they do have some subtle differences (I can tell them apart by their freckles--and their husbands!). They've always thought they were probably identical but never knew for sure, and DNA testing wasn't around when they were babies. Well now that DNA testing is around, they considered getting tested just to see for sure. But they decided not to because they didn't want to find out that they're NOT identical. They feel such a strong connection and somehow felt that finding they weren't identical would take something away from that. Personally I think any twins have a strong connection, fraternal or identical. But for them, they really wanted to be identical, and they weren't going to let any test tell them otherwise! I just thought it was an interesting story to pass along.

FWIW, we never did DNA testing on our boys, but we're pretty dang sure they're identical because we had an early ultrasound that clearly showed them in the same outer sac, and subsequent ultrasounds showed just a thin membrane separating them within the sac. Placenta testing also showed identical. I know that's not 100%, but combined with the ultrasounds and the fact that they look alike, we don't feel we need the test to say with confidence that they're identical.

ETA: Ours also have slightly different shaped/sized heads. The one who was always pushing his brother around in the womb has a slightly bigger head....go figure!

34. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Feb 21 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]633516[/snapback]
    I'm battling the same dilemma. We don't want to spend the money but I'd love to know for sure. I've started looking at genetic chances of things like hair and eyes. My boys eyes have yet to change, but that will be my deciding factor on the testing. Odds of them having brown eyes are high so if they both have brown eyes I'd like to have them tested, but if they both have blue/green eyes like their dad, then I'll know they are ID. Your girls have such a beautiful color of hair that I don't think is very common. I would think the odds of them both having that gorgeous color are small (but that depends on your hair and your DHs). I hope this helps! I've been trying to think logically before spending so much money. The test is the same as a month of formula for us! Good luck with your decision!

I would wait until they got a little older. My girls started looking more and more ID by their 1st birthday. That will give them time to grow out of that "baby" look and let their heads round out....

35. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Beautiful girls! I also think that they are identical.