Difficult Twin Pregnancy and then Easy or Difficult Singleton Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Brooklyne, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Brooklyne

Brooklyne Well-Known Member

I had a difficult twin pregnancy...twins are now almost four! I went into pre-term labour at 23 weeks and was put on strict bedrest because of a short cervix. I was sick and crampy the whole time with an irritable uterus. I was in severe pelvic and back pain the whole time. Then I got gestational diabetes and then I had an amniotic leak. The delivery was also a bit of an ordeal. I made it to 33 weeks and after a 3 week non-eventful NICU stay the twins came home and we never had any issues with them :)

I said I would never go through that again. The fear of delivering so early traumatized me. My OB at the time said another pregnancy for me would be high risk.

So here I am....5 weeks pregnant. This was not planned at all and we're still in shock. We welcome another child, but I am terrified of having problems and being put on bedrest with 4 year olds to take care of. And the thought of delivering super early terrifies me!

If you had a difficult twin pregnancy then how did your singleton pregnancy differ if at all?

Thanks!!!

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!!!

My twin pregnancy was not as difficult as yours, but I did contract ALL the time and there was definitely pelvic and back pain. I was put on bed rest at 30 weeks with medication due to shortening cervix and delivered at 31 weeks. My first singleton pregnancy after the twins was much easier in the beginning but I started contracting (real and BH) at around 26 weeks. After delivering preemies, I was totally paranoid I was going to do it again. I asked my doctor to do FFN tests and check my cervical length often. My son was still early but healthy at 36 weeks. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with another singleton and have been on 17P progesterone shots to prevent yet another preterm labor since 22 weeks (can start shots as early as 16 weeks). A nurse comes to the house and gives me the shot once a week so it is very convenient. Though I still contract a lot, my cervix is still very long and things are progressing just fine. Plus, I have added security knowing the shots are doing their job. They're pretty pricey, but less expensive than a 3 week NICU stay!!! Worth asking your doctor about! As for the pelvic and back pain... can't help you there. My baby is riding super low and the pelvic and back pain is the worst yet! I guess it comes with the territory!

Congrats again and best of luck!!!

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations! The upside is that your four year olds are able to understand more than they would have say two years ago. That may or may not be helpful, but they should grasp your cautions in this pregnancy. Both my pregnancies were ideal so I have nothing to compare yours to. :hug:

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy by your standards but did end up in bedrest and then carried my singleton to 40 weeks exactly without any complications. :) Congrats on #3!

5. Brooklyne

Thanks everyone for the responses! I am so scared too of delivering early. I just have to trust and have faith that no matter what the outcome we can handle this. Babies are worth it!

Thanks for sharing your stories!

6. marikaclare

marikaclare Well-Known Member

I had a pretty rough twin pregnancy - bedrest at 20 weeks for cervical funneling and irritable uterus, never too comfortable, delivered at 27 weeks as the boys developed twin twin transfusion syndrome. I am 31 weeks pregnant with #3 and so far no issues at all compared to the boys! I have had some contractions and a slight cervical change but I am not on bed rest and I feel great! Good luck and I think that the odds are on our side for an easier pregnancy!

7. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

No input as I'm very new to this club (9 weeks), but I wanted to introduce myself and thank the ladies that posted positive stories. Mcmnyc, your twin pregnancy was EXACTLY like mine so of course I'm not looking for a repeat of that by any means. So far so good this time around. I will however be getting a preventative cerclage between 12 and 14 weeks but hopefully that's as "eventful" as it gets. Good luck, Brooklyne.....and congrats!

8. Brooklyne

Mcmnyc - your story really gives me hope! The irritable uterus.....ugh....I remember having that and it was so scary. I never knew what was going on. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

serranoboys - congrats! You are 3 weeks ahead of me so I'll be checking up on you. I am 6 weeks pregnant and still have yet to meet with my family doctor and get the referral to my high risk OB and then at that appointment I'll push for the cerclage. All the best!

9. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I had the opposite of you, a singleton then twins, and both pregnancies were fairly easy (although the twin one was easy on the twin scale, lol). But I just wanted to say, hands down, a singleton pregnancy is much, much easier on the body than a twin pregnancy! There is almost no comparison lol. I'm almost looking forward to my next (singleton) pregnancy because of how easy it seems after twins.

Congrats and I hope you have an easy, healthy and uneventful pregnancy!

10. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone else mentioned the cerclage because that's what I was going to bring up. If you know you have a history of an incompetent cervix, I would think that it would be the easiest way to protect from delivering too early and avoiding bedrest. I'm also one who had no complications with pregnancy but I also agree that carrying one is so much easier than two!