Digital cameras for kids

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twoin2005, Nov 19, 2008.

1. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I apologize if this is a duplicate post, as I searched and came up with nothing...

The kids really want their own cameras for Christmas and are convinced that Santa will be bringing them each one. I am not too convinced yet. Does anyone have one? What brand? Are they even worth anything when it comes to the clarity of the photos?

Any input would be great.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls have one fisher price pink camera. They have fun with it. It is one with the double eyepiece. I know some of the new ones have a single eyepiece.
    Here is a scrapbook page I made last year using photos from their camera.

3. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this sometime this week :). I just bought my boys the FP Kid Tough ones for Christmas. I wasn't going to get them until I saw them on sale for $38 at Target.

I know the picture quality isn't great, but I'm planning to do the same thing as PP. I want to make a little scrapbook of pics the boys take -- I guess what is important to them as a 3 year old as opposed to what I think is important :). Hopefully they will leave my camera alone once they get them LOL.

Mendy

4. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

We are getting a camera too - if my DH finds anything better than the FP one I'll holler!

5. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I really wanted to get my kids the FP kid tough one as well, but I havent found them for less than $50 and I would have to get at least 2, and I just cant do it this year, and get the other things they want.

I dont know anything about picture quality, since we dont have one, but I havent seen any other ones for kids.

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was looking at the Little Tikes ones, they are a little bit cheaper than the FP ones.

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I have done extensive research on this and we have decided to get the kids real cameras. Every time I showed them the Fisher Price or Little Tykes ones, they would tell me "those aren't cameras"-- because they look like little kids toys and not like "mommy's." I found some Disney ones that were more "big kid" looking, but they had HORRIBLE reviews.

So we have decided to go with Kodak ones. I found them for $54.00 which I think is cheaper than the Fisher Price ones? They have one in pink which will satisfy my daughters request for a pink one (they also come in silver and white) and most importantly they look like "real" cameras. I am a bit concerened about the durability, but am willing to give a little on that and hope they can be somewhat gentle with them.

Here is the Kodak one we are getting.
    http://storewidesale.mybisi.com/product/51...era_197671.html

8. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I got one last year and hated it. I would recommend to check out the software that comes with it if possbile. I can't remember the one I had but the software was a real in the butt!!

9. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I came across a killer deal last night on the Mickey Digital Camera ......and I applied for the Disney Visa, which made it free!! About $6 for shipping.

10. TD

TD Well-Known Member

We have the Vtech camera that came out a year ago (oarange colour). Its resolution is only 480 x680 (or something like that). It is not great pictures, but my son loves it, and it is durable. It will also take video, and has some games on it that use the pictures that you have taken.

I also like that it has a slot for an SD card, so we have not actually loaded the software onto the computer. We just download the pictures off the card like we do with out cards.

It was a little more than the FP camera, but had the video camera too.

T

11. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Wow some great ideas here. I had been thinking of getting one of the "kid" cameras because we have a lot of multi media software and our girls have free range on the computer (not connected to the internet) and I wanted to get them making some digital art with their own photos, but now I think I will just look for a cheap digital camera with a lower resolution and no zoom features to get them started---that way they can also learn to be gentle with things, those commerials with the camera falling down the stairs had we worried, I mean they need to start learning how to take care of things at this age don't they?