dirty fingernails

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

My kids get so much dirt under their nails. So far my method of cleaning (ha) has been to just leave it - the dirt comes away with the nail clippings next time I trim their nails. :blush:

Am I the only disgusting lazy mom out there? :lol: For those of you who do clean your kids' nails, how do you do it? And how do you get them to not flip out?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Mine generally don't get long enough fingernails to collect dirt (I'm kind of 'anal' about fingernails.) but when they do I generally just leave it.

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

If I see dirt, it means they're long enough to cut -- so I just trim them! And I file with a soft emery board. Like you said, this takes care of the dirt.

I do it while the kiddos are strapped into their high chairs. They're usually pretty good about it, and I've gotten fast at it -- but I've been known to hand them another pair of nail clippers or something else forbidden to get them to sit still.

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My kids are dirt diggers. Mega dirt diggers. They thrive on being able to dig in the garden to find snails, earthworms and the almighty salamander.

To keep the dirt at bay, we: 1) bathe daily, 2) keep the nails short, 3) file if possible, 4) scrub the nails with an old toothbrush and some J&J baby soap (they do this on their own in the bath now).

Not a perfect solution, but definitely a huge frustration of mine.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two constantly have dirty fingernails too.

I figure, "it's dirt and dirt don't hurt."

6. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I either cut the nails, use a nail brush and scrub them or if it's only one or two nails I try to take my nails and clean the dirty nails bye getting my nails under theirs. Non of mine fight me to much. My son is used to his nails being cleaned almost everyday since he loves to play in dirt and so does one of my daughters (she uses the nail brush a lot on her own).

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I don't notice the fingernails as much as I do the toenails! SO GROSS! They wear Crocs most of the time, and they make for some gross toenails! I still have one of those little brushes that they have at the NICU, and we use that for scrubbing toenails. It's not easy though!

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I scrub their nails (hands and feet) with a baby brush in the bath each night. I try to keep their nails short though so they don't get too much dirt underneath since mine LOVE to dig in the dirt.

9. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Actually for me, the dirt is probably the only thing that 'reminds' me to cut their nails. :hush:
    So, when there is dirt, they get a bath and get their nails cut right after.
    My DDs have been wearing slip on shoes with no socks since its been hot, and not only do they come home with stinky feet, but dirty toenails too! :bad: Its really gross. I need to get them some different shoes (but thats another topic)

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Count me in the "lazy mom" category (though I prefer to think of it as "realistic, practical mom" ;) ) -- I don't do anything about it. Eventually either the dirt comes out or gets trimmed off when I trim their nails. I should probably trim them more often, but I usually don't bother until they start scratching me (or themselves) by accident, which winds up being about every 3 weeks.

11. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

Ugh, I hate dirty figernails and cleaning them is a pain in the butt. But I do it every night...It comes out in the bath...Though we only do baths every other night, so on off days I run their fingers under the sink until it all comes out (lol). I'm anal about it I guess! They just turned 2, btw.

12. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Usually they come clean in the bath, but if not, the dirt goes away when I clip their nails. I guess you could add me to that club! However, I do try and keep their nails trimmed, but I'm not anal about it.

13. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

In the summer we rotate from the beach to the river to a pool so not only are their nails always clean, but their ears are too! This is my lazy mom method...always keeping them in a body of water! When we don't have the freedom of summer I just keep their nails short as best I can.

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I try to keep them short enough that it isn't a problem, but if it's there & I notice it, I have to clean it. I don't know why, but I just can't leave it there!

15. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

I try to just keep them short, but I have a friend who keeps toothbrushes under the sink for her kids to clean their nails. I am lazy though too. My kids wash their hands often and I try to keep them clean.