Disney experts - question about celebrating a birthday there

Discussion in 'General' started by MichelleL, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We are taking the girls to Disney next year. We were thinking about going in the spring but now it looks like we'll be doing fall, 2011. We were thinking about going for their birthday, but if they start K next year, their birthday falls on their 3rd day of school and I can't imagine making them miss part of their first week. I have heard so many good things about celebrating birthdays at Disney and would love to do it.

So here's my question. To celebrate their birthday, does it have to be on the exact date, or can you pick a date to celebrate with them and get the special treatment?

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can pick when every you want. My MIL's birthday is in May, but we had planned a big family trip in August since it would work better with both BIL's (who later both backed out of the trip). We had it noted on the ADRS, and MIL had a birthday pin on most of the trip. Some places made a bigger deal out of her birthday than others, including SCi FI which gave her 2 tinkerbell lights. We were on a DDP that included dessert. So the few times we got free dessert was kind of silly.

We were also at Disney for my best friend's son 2nd birthday. On his actual birthday we went to Ohana for breakfast, the server gave him a hug cupcake (and brought out 2 for my girls as well)

3. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We've been to Disneyland twice during their birthday week. Our experiences have been on a kind of "honor system." They don't require proof of their birthday or anything. As soon as we got there, we went to the City Hall and they got a free "today is my birthday" button pin with their names on it. If you check out this link: Disneyland Birthday ideas ... it gives a lot of ideas on how to make the most of your birthday celebration at Disney. As always, the Disney staff makes you feel special and our children had a great time. Have fun! :D

4. MichelleL

So do you think it would be bad of us to be celebrating there a month later? :blush: Be honest because I already feel slightly guilty about it, sort of like it's not the right thing to do. :pardon: But really, is it that bad that we are thinking about doing it? How many really get there on their actual day? It is the main purpose of our trip.

5. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

It is a personal thing, I personally would not only because my kids would call me out on it. You do not get in the park free anymore on birthdays so really the only thing I can think of them getting for free is some ice cream and stuff like that. My mom went during her birthday and got cake. Last year for our anniversary we went during the week of our anniversary and we celebrated 1 night on our anniversary and they gave us a free piece of cake.

There was a huge thread on this on the Dis Boards the other day. I would link to it but I do not think we are allowed to link to outside message boards on here. A majority of people on there are not fans on there but there are alot of people that do it for the perks.

6. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

We went for the girls 4th birthday in May. There aren't any real "perks" to celebrating other than a free dessert. :pardon: As soon as we got there the lady at the hotel gave them the "it's my birthday" pin and they wore it from the Sunday before their bday until that Wednesday. Everyone was super nice and they got a lot of happy birthdays and attention, but other than that...I can't remember anything else. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying your there celebrating their birthday...we hardly ever have birthday parties on the actual day of our birthday, I don't see how this is much different.

7. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

My respsosne was initially HECK yeah your paying they are happy to take your money when ever the birthday is. I didn't think about it as getting free perks. BUT I guess it depends on what yor plannig.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We went the beginning of June and the boys' birthday is the end of June. When I was booking the trip, the agent from Disney put in that it was their birthday, and told me that we were using it for their "birthday month". All we really got from it was more acknowledgment at restaurants.

9. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We'll be there in October for a couple of days. Maybe it will be the same time you guys are going????

10. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I may have misread, but I thought you got in free to a disney park on the day of your birthday? That might have been a promotional offer that they were offering...

11. MichelleL

Quite honestly, that would be enough for me. :good: Since it will be their primary celebration (from us!), I just want them to be acknowledged more than anything.
    That was sort of my thinking too. :good:

Next year???

That's done. I think that was last year...or maybe the year before??

12. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I think it just enhances the Disney experience to "celebrate" your birthday even if it's not the day of the actual birthday. We were at Disney World a month ago and our first day there was Brady and Colby's actual ninth birthday. A week later they were still wearing their Happy Birthday pins and being greeted by cast members everywhere with Happy Birthday's. But there were so many birthday pins we saw that it's almost like a sign telling folks what state you're from. You can also get a pin saying it's your first trip to Disney and that's something that folks acknowledge as well. Definitely get the pins and don't feel bad about it. The theme at Disney this year is Celebrate so Disney is hoping as many folks as possible visit with some kind of celebration (birthday, anniversary, proposals, graduation, etc.) to enjoy.

13. LisaGoeke

Yes....October 2011.

14. MichelleL

Thank you!! That's just what I needed to hear. :D

Oh reallllyyyy?? We're thinking the first weekend. When are you going?

15. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We will be there in Oct 2011 too. We are going Oct 20th I think.

16. LisaGoeke

Right now we're thinking October 6, 7, and 8th, 2011.

17. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

I agree with PP's...I think it would be ok to say that "you're celebrating their birthday today." Have fun! :)

18. MichelleL

Awww, bummer. We have a wedding that weekend so I know for sure we won't be there then. I think YOU should change your weekend. :laughing:

Thank you!! :good:

19. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I definitely think you should do it. :good: I would! Like someone else said, we don't always have their birthday parties on the day, so this is very similar to that. :good:

20. LisaGoeke

I would except we're working around our cruise which has already been booked for October 9. :woohoo:

Have fun with the birthday girls. We always celebrate Lauren's birthday at every park we go to when it's around her birthday. She enjoys getting all the fun birthday pins. Which just made me realize....her birthday is the 8th so she'll get to celebrate it in Disney!!

21. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

When we went this past April we celebrated the boys birthday even though it isn't until July ! I hadn't thought of it but when I booked the trip through WDW travel the girl suggested it. It was an AMAZING week ! Everywhere we went they got wished a Happy Birthday and their name was even put up on a signs and everything. It was a blast. Of course they were a little confused because they knew their birthday wasn't for awhile yet .. but I explained to them that since we weren't going to Disney in July we had to celebrate their birthday then.
    We got special desserts and even a free locker rental (that was just weird) ! They also got a phone call from Mickey himself .. lol

So I say celebrate their birthday .. or unbirthday .. if you wish ! :laughing: