Distinguishing fetal movement for each twin?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by paperclippy, Feb 22, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Hi folks! Yet another question from yours truly. Thanks for being so patient with me, this is my first pregnancy and I have no idea what "normal" is. I'm wondering how soon you were able to tell apart baby A's movements from baby B's movements. I'm 22 weeks as of today and up to now I've been distinguishing them as "right side of my belly" and "left side of my belly" movements. The past couple days, however, I think maybe the babies have moved around or something, and I'm getting different movement patterns than before. For example, during the day I get mostly movement on my right side, and during the night on my left side, or I'll feel something on my left side only if I'm actually laying on my left side, and on the right side only if I'm sitting up. My OB said it's still okay at this point to go hours without feeling any movement, so I'm trying not to worry about it as long as I feel at least something on each side of my belly over the course of a day.

Is this normal? Do the patterns just change as they move around? When will I be able to reliably say "that's baby A moving" and "that's baby B moving"?

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I was never able to tell - others might be able to tell you different though.

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

It's OK to ask questions, that's why we're here. My twins are my only kids also, so I was really wondering the same thing like you. I think I started to feel them each at some point, but I don't remember how many weeks, it was closer to the birth. My kids were one on the left, one on the right, and I was able to distinguish who was who when they were having hick-ups - which happened a lot towards the end of the pregnancy, I would feel the head moving - that's how I realized Max flipped once, his hick-ups were MUCH lower than the previous day, and when I went to my sonogram, he was indeed flipped. It was funny when they both had the hick ups at the same time. I think if they are traverse, it would be harder to realize who's who, but mine were always either breech or vertex (mostly breech - hence the C-Section).

Also I noticed like you that Max was awake early in the morning - he was really active at 6-7 AM, but I rarely felt him move after 8 PM. With Vanessa it was the opposite, she was awake around 8-9 and she kept moving until 11 PM. Of course, they are the same way now, she's a night owl - like me, and he's an early bird - like my DH.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

There was abrief window in the late 20s that I could distinguish them but the way they were positioned after that made it nearly impossible to tell. And this was my second pregnancy so that experience didn't help.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine had very different pattern of movement and did not switch positions much (basically baby A was head down low in the belly, baby B was traverse under my ribs), so I could tell them apart from quite early on. Baby A was prone to hiccups and had a very energetic kick, baby B's movements were more like slow strong stretches with her whole body (she was also pretty squeezed the way she lay so that could be part of it).

6. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

I am 26 weeks and the way my twins are positioned make it very hard to determine which is which. I have one baby close to my back laying on the cervix and bladder as the other one is closest to my belly and up towards my chest. The only way I can tell them apart is if one kicks really high and if one kicks really low on my bladder area. Other then that they both move around like crazy so it's very diffcult to tell. But that is normal from what ive been reading as well as what the drs have told me.

7. dab_20

dab_20 Member

I'm 32 weeks and still can't usually tell who is who. I feel like I feel baby B all the time and baby A very little, but on ultrasounds they are both very similar activity wise. My doctor keeps asking me if I can tell who is who yet, making me worried cause I really can't. Glad to know others can't either. lol

8. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I was unable to tell the movements apart too. My Dr. told me to "make sure each one is moving about the same amount" because they were watching baby A's growth pretty closely. And I ended up in Labor and Delivery twice having a stress test and u/s because I didn't think a twin was moving. Turns out both times, she had just moved from her last known spot. So, when I was feeling movement on one side, I was really feeling both babies. That said, one twin got the hiccups a lot more than the other one... it was funny. And after they were born, she got them more too. And, one twin was generally more active considering their positions via ultrasound...
    That was my only difference for me in my two pregnancies - my first one being twins, and my second being a singleton. This last time, when I felt movement, I knew my baby was ok and moving about. I was a nervous wreck with the twins. Try not to worry, but don't hesitate to get checked if you think one's not as active.

9. Amegge

Amegge Member

Great to know! I know this is an old post,but still is reassuring. I only feel movement on my right,hardly ever on my left.mdont know what those guys are up to.