dna testing question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, May 27, 2008.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Has there been anyone who really thinks their kids are fraternal because you saw definite differences in them but yet when the results came back they were identical? I have shared my thoughts here many times that we did IVF (which I know does not mean anything) but they look very similar and I am about 99.9 percent they are fraternal. I was ready to let it go since dh always says no way are they identical. But yesterday, we was looking through pictures I took on my camera and confused them in two different pictures when they were shown separately. Usually it seems if you think they are id, then the results come back that they are. So I was wondering if you leaned towards frat, but got an id result. Thanks

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Hey! I also have a Nicolas and I also did IVF and I HAVE IDENTICALS.. No reason that has to mean they aren't ID.. TEST!!!!

And if I did not know-- I would probably think they were frats. To me, they look nothing alike. To EVERYONE else in the world-- they are the EXACT same! I cannot believe it. To tell you the truth; once a day I think.. Maybe I should have them tested cuz they aren't id! They were in the same sac tho and shared a placenta!! They are ID but to parents-- not AT ALL!

3. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ May 27 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]795525[/snapback]
    Hey! I also have a Nicolas and I also did IVF and I HAVE IDENTICALS.. No reason that has to mean they aren't ID.. TEST!!!!

I always think of you when I think about my boys!

So did they split early and have separate everything? When did the Dr's know they were ID or was it not until after they were born?

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know someone who did IVF and has ID boys, she knows for sure since she had TTTS. I think it sounds like you need to get them tested so you know for sure once and for all. :)

5. lianyla

I transferred 2 blasts and one was already hatching. Doc only wanted to tx that ONE but I insisted.. Anyway.. At our 7 week u/s there were my boys in the SAME SAC!!! RE was not happy about it either but was pleased that the 2nd embie didn't take.. So were we!!

I was sent to a Peri immediately cuz they were sharing a sac and we weren't sure if there was a membrane until much later on. I was having level 2's all the time and there was never any question whether they were ids.. We found membrane at 13 weeks . When delivered- one sac, one placenta and I was also going to mention that they have four teeth each and they are the EXACT same teeth!! It's crazy.. What about your guys' toofers?? Toes? Ears??

6. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ May 27 2008, 03:10 PM) [snapback]795542[/snapback]
    I transferred 2 blasts and one was already hatching. Doc only wanted to tx that ONE but I insisted.. Anyway.. At our 7 week u/s there were my boys in the SAME SAC!!! RE was not happy about it either but was pleased that the 2nd embie didn't take.. So were we!!

I was sent to a Peri immediately cuz they were sharing a sac and we weren't sure if there was a membrane until much later on. I was having level 2's all the time and there was never any question whether they were ids.. We found membrane at 13 weeks . When delivered- one sac, one placenta and I was also going to mention that they have four teeth each and they are the EXACT same teeth!! It's crazy.. What about your guys' toofers?? Toes? Ears??

I think because they were always in their own sack and Dr never mentioned ID that is why I am even more sure they are fraternal and coincidently just look a lot alike. Weird though...pretty much the same everything. Always the same weight and height and exact same coloring (skin, eyes, hair) Only difference is one got curly hair a few months after the other!! Teeth came in a the same time and are the same (I am pretty sure). They both have the same pointy teeth in the same spot. I will ahve to check again when they wake up!

7. lianyla

Post like a zillion pics and let me inspect them LOL. I have to know now. The teeth are a big help I think! Did you do a 3 or five day transfer??

8. seamusnicholas

3 day- what would the difference be if it was 3 or 5??
    One difference has always been face shape. One is longer and the other is rounder. The first 2 pics here are of them separately.

PICTURES

9. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

Your boys are very cute. I love their curly hair. I think they are identical. My girls have different face shapes. One is longer and one is rounder.

10. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'll answer on the 3 or 5 day even though we didn't do IVF... it matters because they believe a complete split happens in the first 2-3 days. My boys were di/di and are identical. I had my doubts but DH was SURE they were fraternal. Ha! Same reason, also... head shape. That has everything to do with womb position, not genetics. I think you need to test. Yes, there are a few frats who look a lot alike but wowza, your boys look ID to me.

11. lianyla

Well, a day five would not have time to have it's own everything. A day 3, however, would.. See waht I'm saying? To have their own everything they have to split before day 6 and mine didn't have time for that. I'll look at the pics in a minute. My baby A was head down the whole time and he has a skinnier face, baby B (Nicolas) was all over and his face is rounder.. That is all due to womb position.

12. lianyla

Nicole-
    Okay- the teeth are a dead giveaway. They are identical but I CAN see why you're wondering. It's not a totally id situation but neither are mine. Look at mine and see if you think they look alike. NOt anymore different than yours I don't think and we know they are id.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...Wdd&notag=1

Honestly, I think they look nothing alike except for when they have hats on or are in their car seats or stroller-- HOW STUPID IS THAT? Anyway, totally different face shapes AND they are 5 oz apart and have been since birth. The only weird thing is that my baby who was five oz bigger at birth, is now 5 oz smaller at 8 mos! Weird.

13. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ May 27 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]795605[/snapback]
    Nicole-
    Okay- the teeth are a dead giveaway. They are identical but I CAN see why you're wondering. It's not a totally id situation but neither are mine. Look at mine and see if you think they look alike. NOt anymore different than yours I don't think and we know they are id.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...Wdd&notag=1

Honestly, I think they look nothing alike except for when they have hats on or are in their car seats or stroller-- HOW STUPID IS THAT? Anyway, totally different face shapes AND they are 5 oz apart and have been since birth. The only weird thing is that my baby who was five oz bigger at birth, is now 5 oz smaller at 8 mos! Weird.

I had to giggle because I totally think your look ID!!! Gosh- I dont want to to the test because I feel that I know but I obviously have been questioning it. What are the chances of an IVF 3 day spit with everything different!?!?!?!

Here are a few more where they look more different (especially since both did not have curly hair yet)

14. lianyla

I am absolutely positive that yours are identical. I only have to focus on the mouth alone and there is the answer-- also the nose is EXACTLY the same. The chances are very good that it split with and went separate w/ a 3 day.. IF you had blasts- I'd say absolutely no way. They are identical without a doubt.

15. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nicole, your boys look so much alike! Test, test, test!! I've always thought they looked identical. And adorable!

16. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Nicole, I have been saying for almost 2 years to get them tested! I definitely think they are ID.

17. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

We met a couple at our IVF banquet over Mother's Day....and they had put in 2 embyo's and they are the proud parents of triplet boys! One of the two split. We are not sure about ours either...we are waiting on the DNA results now.

TEST TEST TEST!!!

:lol:

18. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I say ID !! TEST ! :)

19. FlutterbyKisses

FlutterbyKisses Well-Known Member

I am with the rest!! Test! To me they look identical. And they are just adorable! :wub:

20. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Add me to the Test, test, test, test crew!

I think they look ID!

21. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

You know my opinion, Nicole!! TEST!!!!

22. seamusnicholas

I told dh I started this thread and he said I need to stop talking about it and just test so I dont have to talk to him about it anymore! He really is positive they are frat

I then talked to my sister who thinks I am crazy for bringing this up again and said they are not id!!! My mom (who I did not talk to today) has said in the past they look alike but not ID. I just think it is interesting that although most of my family says they are not id, they still have mixed them up on occasion (not often). They say they look like brothers of course but not id. When I talk to them, it makes me say I will not test them and that it would be silly to do so and a waste of time and money but when I come here and hear all your responses, I want to test!!! I need people here to tell me they dont look id!

23. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 27 2008, 08:54 PM) [snapback]796218[/snapback]
    I need people here to tell me they dont look id!

You know that won't come from me! I have seen those boys in person, and think they are ID! Test woman! I will honestly be shocked if they are not ID.

24. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

You won't hear it from me. I think every time you post pics that they are ID. I'm with the "go - test already!" vote.

And they are adorable, too!

25. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I then talked to my sister who thinks I am crazy for bringing this up again and said they are not id!!! My mom (who I did not talk to today) has said in the past they look alike but not ID. I just think it is interesting that although most of my family says they are not id, they still have mixed them up on occasion (not often). They say they look like brothers of course but not id. When I talk to them, it makes me say I will not test them and that it would be silly to do so and a waste of time and money but when I come here and hear all your responses, I want to test!!!

I wonder if they say that because they are around them enough to see different personalities.

You know you won't hear that from me either. I stopped harassing you about it a while ago, but I think they look totally alike. There are siblings out there that look so similar, and this could be the case. But I would be very surprised.

Please let us know what happens. :hug99:

26. HT

HT Well-Known Member

Girl, those boys are ID - even in the pics you think they look different! My girls also have one rounder face, one longer face and one has more hair than the other. However they both have the same reddish-brown hair color, same blood type, same color eyes and they have done everything within weeks or even days of each other. We both need to test to be positive, but honestly I've mixed mine up several times in just the last few days so I'm pretty sure.

27. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 27 2008, 01:28 PM) [snapback]795573[/snapback]
    3 day- what would the difference be if it was 3 or 5??
    One difference has always been face shape. One is longer and the other is rounder. The first 2 pics here are of them separately.

PICTURES

Nicole, my boys are ID (one placenta), and have the same facial differences.

Nick (round)
    Joe (long)

28. marshall52204

marshall52204 Well-Known Member

I have 18 month FRATERNAL boys. My husband and I, along with my parents are the only ones that can tell them apart. I have often thought about DNA testing, but to me... they look like totally different kids. One thing that I have found odd, is that both of them were born with dark hair, lost it, grew back in blonde hair... all at the same time. Their hair is the exact same, they are neck in neck in weight and height, and even get their teeth at the same time. Do your boys always do everything at the same time too? I should probably get them tested, just to reassure myself, I would suggest you do the same :)

BTW, I looked at the pictures of them and think they could pass for identicals, however, just like in my own boys... I see a subtle difference between the two!

29. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(marshalltwins @ May 27 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]796504[/snapback]
    I have 18 month FRATERNAL boys. My husband and I, along with my parents are the only ones that can tell them apart. I have often thought about DNA testing, but to me... they look like totally different kids. One thing that I have found odd, is that both of them were born with dark hair, lost it, grew back in blonde hair... all at the same time. Their hair is the exact same, they are neck in neck in weight and height, and even get their teeth at the same time. Do your boys always do everything at the same time too? I should probably get them tested, just to reassure myself, I would suggest you do the same :)

BTW, I looked at the pictures of them and think they could pass for identicals, however, just like in my own boys... I see a subtle difference between the two!

They do do everything at the same time relatively. Nicholas has always been 2-3 weeks later (talking, sitting, rolling, etc.)

30. AmyD

AmyD Well-Known Member

Wow - I can't believe you haven't had them tested! I definitely think they are identical. Mine are ID, and they have subtle differences that even strangers can spot after looking at them - Chase has a rounder face and has a stockier build. Cameron has a longer face. And their personalities are completely different.

31. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

Those boys are identical! I am 100% sure on this one...

32. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

OMgosh, they are ADORABLE!

But I totally think they're identical. Test!!!

(I shouldn't talk ... I have no idea if my guys are ID or fraternal either.)

33. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

They really look identical too me! My girls also have different shaped heads and to me they look really different so I didn't believe they were identical. We did the test when they were about 14 months old and I was shocked it came back IDENTICAL!!! Now they are older they are starting to look more and more alike.

Your boys look really similar and have the same hair, like my girls, they have the exact same hair.

34. lianyla

People who "aren't sure" POST PICS! Gotta know!

35. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

Just remember looking cannot always give you the results you want. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are fraternal...and I'd swear they were identical.