dna testing question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, May 27, 2008.

1. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I'm with the identical bandwagon also. I say test!

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I do not believe that MK and Ashley Olsen are frats. I never have and never will. I'd have to take their blood myself and see the lab results. They are MORE identical than any ID's I have ever seen in my life. I just don't believe it. I know, I'm weird-- but I do not believe that!!!!

I also have identical twin cousins who told everyone they were Frats until I told them (this past month) that ID's could have two everything!! The Docs told them since they had 2 sacs- they were frats!! Until they were 33 years old, they believed it-- ONce I had my ID's I told them!!

They are ID! Whole time- Never knew!

3. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I told dh I started this thread and he said I need to stop talking about it and just test so I dont have to talk to him about it anymore! He really is positive they are frat

And so the rest of us will be proved wrong... ;) DH was positively SHOCKED when our results came back ID. Parents are the worst judges of how similar their children look because we can see every subtle difference and identical twins are not identical like a photocopy. SO ORDER A TEST ALREADY! It's $160 for a lifetime of answers to the question for you and for them (because people will ask them also). These testing companies should hire me to sell zygosity screening :lol:

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marshalltwins @ May 27 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]796504[/snapback]
    I have 18 month FRATERNAL boys. My husband and I, along with my parents are the only ones that can tell them apart. I have often thought about DNA testing, but to me... they look like totally different kids. One thing that I have found odd, is that both of them were born with dark hair, lost it, grew back in blonde hair... all at the same time. Their hair is the exact same, they are neck in neck in weight and height, and even get their teeth at the same time. Do your boys always do everything at the same time too? I should probably get them tested, just to reassure myself, I would suggest you do the same :)

BTW, I looked at the pictures of them and think they could pass for identicals, however, just like in my own boys... I see a subtle difference between the two!

Ummm, yeah... you need to test also! :D

I can see I'm going to need to post some photos of my not-so-identical twins. Of course, you probably won't see what I do but I have some pictures where the head & face shape really makes them look different to me.

5. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I've been looking at photos in these threads for 4 years.

I'm firmly in the If-you-have-to-ask-this-question-they-are-ID camp.
    I don't think your boys are any exception, my money is on ID.

6. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Oh, they totally look identical (they are really cute too :) ). My boys are ID and also have slightly different face shapes. But if you look at all their features individually (eyes, nose, lips, etc.), they are sooo alike. Your boys' features are VERY similar.

My guys also have a lot of other physical similarities. They walked within a week or two of each other, teeth came in at the same time, talked at the same time, they both had inguinal hernias, same food allergies, etc. They pretty much always get the same illnesses, rashes, etc. - same symptoms at the same time. It's just downright weird.

If your boys are also doing that sort of thing, I'd say DEFINITELY ID.

Michelle

7. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I LOVE their hair!! They are so cute (and identical) :) I think there was only one case on twinstuff where everyone including mom thought ID and the test came back fraternal.. and I think she needs a recount :)

8. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Subtle differences? Not to be rude, but do you really believe that subtle differences implies they are fraternal?
    I have those obvious frat twins - different hair color, different eye color, different blood type.

Test, test, test.

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mellizos @ May 28 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]798718[/snapback]
    Subtle differences? Not to be rude, but do you really believe that subtle differences implies they are fraternal?
    I have those obvious frat twins - different hair color, different eye color, different blood type.

Test, test, test.

I guess this is something that confuses me....when people have posted pics of their identicals that they think look so different, I always am amazed because I think they are exactly the same in every way! After this thread I am really close to buying the kit and at the same time though, I have been playing around with thread title names when the results come back 'fraternal'!! Deep down I feel they are fraternal. So any of you with Id's I have a question...I have a neighbor who does not see them too often but when she does, she never mixes them up. Do any of you see people who rarely see your twins and always know who is who? Oh and that Christmas photo I posted, they dont look id to me AT ALL! Do you ever have to take a double take of your kids. I dont. I always know and I know that is because I am the mom but I would think ID moms might have to look closer!! :laughing: Ok, I know what you are all thinking...stop talking about it already and test! I know I have been talking about this way to long!

10. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I didn't do IVF, but was told mine were most likely fraternal. When they got here, we thought maybe we should test to make sure. As time has gone on they have started looking more and more alike. But.....they have differences. I'll post a pic. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x192/NI...hasvisit033.jpg Jesse has a deep dimple in his left ear. Without this we may have an issue telling them apart. I'm constantly asking myself "how did that happen?"
    But all in all, they look most like each other. Even down to how their hair fell out after birth and now how it's growing back in. But one has more hair. They also have different face/head shapes. It may get harder to tell them apart with more hair. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x192/NI...irstyear296.jpg
    Most of my family can tell them apart some of the time. Kids at the ice rink can tell them apart too. But I do have to say we ALL use the ear as a marker. It's the way I tell everyone how to tell them apart. I'm in trouble if they ever get an ear pierced!!! ;) But what's even more fun is so far their personalities are "identical" too. At least they are sweet babies. :)

Personally, I think yours look identical. You could just wait and see, but they may want an answer. That's why we ultimately tested. I wanted them to be able to answer all the probing questions when they got older. Not to mention, all the questions I get now. I will say that they looked markedly similar to my oldest son when he was a baby. But when comparing pictures, you can tell that they are identical and he is not. I'm not sure siblings (singletons) could really look as identical as yours, or mine for that matter. Do you know what I mean? There are millions of variations in DNA that would make them look different.

Anyways, this is always fun to do!! Talk about gorgeous babies and look at all their beautiful pics!!! Thanks for sharing! :D

11. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I was kind of the opposite of you. My girls are definitely identical but, if I hadn't known, I would have easily believed they were frat until the last year or so when they started reaching the same size and looking more alike. They're just so amazingly different and the different expressions they have along with different voices and mannerisms makes them seem nothing alike.

12. marshall52204

marshall52204 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 29 2008, 12:17 AM) [snapback]798762[/snapback]
    I guess this is something that confuses me....when people have posted pics of their identicals that they think look so different, I always am amazed because I think they are exactly the same in every way! After this thread I am really close to buying the kit and at the same time though, I have been playing around with thread title names when the results come back 'fraternal'!! Deep down I feel they are fraternal. So any of you with Id's I have a question...I have a neighbor who does not see them too often but when she does, she never mixes them up. Do any of you see people who rarely see your twins and always know who is who? Oh and that Christmas photo I posted, they dont look id to me AT ALL! Do you ever have to take a double take of your kids. I dont. I always know and I know that is because I am the mom but I would think ID moms might have to look closer!! :laughing: Ok, I know what you are all thinking...stop talking about it already and test! I know I have been talking about this way to long!

I totally understand. Like I posted earlier, I'm in the same boat. I never take a double take of my kids, but everyone else does... including my husband (who has gotten them mixed up on occasion). There are those experts out there...like my sis who sees them about 3 times a year, but can always tell them apart. I am 99.9 percent sure mine are fraternal. It runs in my family, and both were in seperate sacs. The doctors told me at my 8 week ultrasound they were definately fraternal. A lot of people just assume they are identical and I have thought about testing b/c of that, but deep down I too think they are fraternal. I guess I keep thinking that as they get older they will look less alike, and I will know for sure! I'm not sure how to post pictures on here...but I am starting my own photography business and have a picture of each of my boys at my website if you want to compare... www.lisamarshallphotography.com They are the boys in the cowboy hats, the one on the left is Austin, the right is Colton... it's a quick flash show so sorry about having to look at the other pictures before theirs comes up! And I know one of the boys isn't looking at the camera, so it is kinda hard to tell. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here, I will :)

13. seamusnicholas

I totally understand. Like I posted earlier, I'm in the same boat. I never take a double take of my kids, but everyone else does... including my husband (who has gotten them mixed up on occasion). There are those experts out there...like my sis who sees them about 3 times a year, but can always tell them apart. I am 99.9 percent sure mine are fraternal. It runs in my family, and both were in seperate sacs. The doctors told me at my 8 week ultrasound they were definately fraternal. A lot of people just assume they are identical and I have thought about testing b/c of that, but deep down I too think they are fraternal. I guess I keep thinking that as they get older they will look less alike, and I will know for sure! I'm not sure how to post pictures on here...but I am starting my own photography business and have a picture of each of my boys at my website if you want to compare... www.lisamarshallphotography.com They are the boys in the cowboy hats, the one on the left is Austin, the right is Colton... it's a quick flash show so sorry about having to look at the other pictures before theirs comes up! And I know one of the boys isn't looking at the camera, so it is kinda hard to tell. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here, I will

Do you use any programs to download your pics to or do you download them to your computer? I am sure someone here can help you in detail!! I want to see so bad!!!

14. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I imagine having a sibling besides the twins helps people realize whether the twins are fraternal or identical. Seeing another baby born with considerable differences to the twins probably makes you realize that the chances of 2 such similar looking babies who happen to be born at the same time but are fraternal, is low.

Lisa I can't tell with your twins though. They aren't looking same way, so they look different, but maybe straight on they'd look identical.

15. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(CapeBretoner_123 @ May 28 2008, 05:29 AM) [snapback]796888[/snapback]
    Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are fraternal...and I'd swear they were identical.

I've heard in interviews that they have never been tested, they were always assumed to be fraternal. No one knows for sure, so you can't really go by them!

Nicole, do it, do it, do it. I bet you won't have to think of a thread title for when the results come back frats, because they will be ID!

16. marshall52204

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 29 2008, 07:26 PM) [snapback]800218[/snapback]
    Do you use any programs to download your pics to or do you download them to your computer? I am sure someone here can help you in detail!! I want to see so bad!!!

I just put them on my computer. I have a folder on my Walgreens account, but only know how to share it by putting in a specific email address. If someone tells me how to post a few pictures I will!

17. seamusnicholas

I do it through shutterfly but I think when people do it on here, they can click 'relpy' (like you do when you rely to a post) and then you will see a green button that says 'upload' and you can do it that way.

18. marshall52204

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ May 29 2008, 07:57 PM) [snapback]800279[/snapback]
    I do it through shutterfly but I think when people do it on here, they can click 'relpy' (like you do when you rely to a post) and then you will see a green button that says 'upload' and you can do it that way.

I THINK I FINALLY GOT IT.... check out http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/marshall52204/ and view the album "twins". It's funny b/c I barely have any pictures of the boys looking at the camera, let alone at the same time. The Easter pic and April pic are the most recent. I put a few older pictures on there so you can see how their hair changes in color, thickness, and everything... at the same time. They both have very different facial expressions... Austin is my clown and Colton is my serious child. I think they look totally different, how bout you all??

19. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(marshalltwins @ May 29 2008, 08:22 PM) [snapback]800349[/snapback]
    I THINK I FINALLY GOT IT.... check out http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/marshall52204/ and view the album "twins". It's funny b/c I barely have any pictures of the boys looking at the camera, let alone at the same time. The Easter pic and April pic are the most recent. I put a few older pictures on there so you can see how their hair changes in color, thickness, and everything... at the same time. They both have very different facial expressions... Austin is my clown and Colton is my serious child. I think they look totally different, how bout you all??

I vote ID also! And so cute!

20. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marshalltwins @ May 29 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]800349[/snapback]

Holy H8LL-----!!!!!!!!!!!!

If those aren't Identical.. WHO IS??? See.. this just reinforces the "parents can't tell" deal. Those are the SAME baby! Wow. I am guilty too tho cuz If mine hadn't shared EVERYTHING, I would insist they were frat! It's cuz we see them all day, every day!

No need to test these ones. THey're Id!

21. seamusnicholas

OMG!!! Totally ID!!! So cute!

22. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

I was told my girls were fraternal and I tested them and they are ID.

Some things I noticed about them that led me to get the test (even though I could tell them apart, I could still see their faces being the same)...

their hair parts in the same spot.
    They weigh the same (and have always been within .5lbs of each other
    they are within 1 inch of each other in height.
    I also noticed that their bottom front teeth both are both angled like a V

My mom still insists that they are fraternal because she can tell them apart (most of the time) but the rest of the family is confused.

Even though my girls weigh the same right now, they carry their weight a little differently in their face...which is how most people identify them. I've noticed that as they have gotten older, they have started looking more alike than different.

23. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Nicole, I really think your boys are id! My girls are def id, they had a pretty severe late onset of TTTS. But up until recently I'd swear they were fraternal, almost to the point of testing them to prove everyone else wrong. :blush: They looked NOTHING alike to me the first 18 months. Recently they have started to look more alike and almost on occasion identical...if that makes sense. But they are so incredibly different that it would be impossible for me to confuse them. Others do, and then there are some who don't. Some people ask how I tell them apart, :blink: then some still ask if they're twin b/c they only sort of look alike. I say either way it's good to know!

P.S. STILL in love with those curls!! :wub: :wub:

24. marshall52204

Here's a question.......... Does anyone out there have fraternal twins (that have been tested, and you know they are fraternal for sure) that look very very similar? Or is the general concensus that fraternals have an obvious difference in appearance? I have heard of a kind of twin that is almost identical, but not quite... something about one egg splitting, but early enough so that it was fertalized by two sperm? Anyone else heard of this? Supposedly these twins look more alike, but not identical.