Do anyone else's LOs think timeout is fun?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SC, Dec 31, 2011.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Do/Did your LOs think that timeout is funny? We have just started implementing it because I didn't feel that before now they could understand it to any degree. I actually still do not think they can, but am hoping reinforcement/repetition over time will be effective.
    We started using a mat in a consistent corner of the house. Well, we took the mat away quickly because they liked it.
    What is happening now is that they'll commit the offending behavior (i.e. unloading the fridge, biting) and then put themselves in time out!!!
    While they're in it they continue to talk, laugh, move around, sit-stand-sit-stand. We try not to let the other twin near, but this is tricky. We set a timer and repeatedly return them to the "seat" if they move. We explain why they're there, they have to apologize, and then we hug.
    Honestly, it all seems like a big waste of time right now.

If you experienced this, when did your LOs start realizing that timeout wasn't fun or some type of game? Should we be doing something differently? We use serious tones and even raise our voices a little and it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Trying to discipline at this age is extremely frustrating. Nothing seems effective. Nothing seems to stop the behavior for more than a minute. We get laughed at, run from, ignored, etc. It's going to be a loooooong winter cooped up in this house with these two uncivilized (uhhh....I mean, precious, adorable ;-) little people.
    I have started reading The Happiest Toddler on the Block hoping for some good tips/tactics.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

They don't have to hate time out for it to be effective. They do have to be removed from any attention or reinforcers though. Time out is short for "time out from positive reinforcement," and the way it becomes effective at stopping unwanted behavior is by giving them no attnetion for the bad things, and a lot of attention for the good things they do. At 2 it's hard because they are only beginning to understand cause and effect. At that age we used a pack n play in the dining room for a timeout spot. And consistency is key. Good luck!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Leighann. My two went through a phase where they thought time out was fun. What worked better in the early 2's was taking a favorite toy away and putting it in time out and then putting them in time out. Hang in there!

4. SC

SC Well-Known Member

So, should we explain why they're in timeout or should we simply remove them from the situation and place them in the corner?
    Does addressing the problem reinforce the bad behavior and give it undue attention?

I guess I need to brush up on some of the finer details of timeout.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

If you can calmly in a few words explain why they are going to time out, that's fine. But no big displays of emotion or long lectures because that is just attention. A good book is 1-2-3 magic.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also agree with Leighann. I rarely do much talking beyond "No hitting!" when putting them in time out. If it's a more serious or more complicated issue and I do feel it warrants some discussion, I do it after time out is complete. I also agree with 123 Magic. Some great principles in there.