Do I need a Peri?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Two_more_cookies, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

I am 27 and 16 weeks preggo with twins (Alpha & Beta...don't know the sexes yet). I don't know the term off the top of my head but the babies have their own sacs and their own placentas. I didn't have any morning sickness and have generally felt pretty good up to this point. All of the appts thus far have gone well with HRs around 145-155 (except once when Beta had a HR of 160..but the doc expressed no concern). So I am wondering if my OB's care will be sufficient? Do most of you have Peri's?????

Many thanks!!!
    Lindia

2. Two_more_cookies

I am 27 and 16 weeks preggo with twins (Alpha & Beta...don't know the sexes yet). I don't know the term off the top of my head but the babies have their own sacs and their own placentas. I didn't have any morning sickness and have generally felt pretty good up to this point. All of the appts thus far have gone well with HRs around 145-155 (except once when Beta had a HR of 160..but the doc expressed no concern). So I am wondering if my OB's care will be sufficient? Do most of you have Peri's?????

Many thanks!!!
    Lindia

3. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

You sound pretty similar to my experience up to 16 weeks except I had morning sickness. I may be wrong but I think all twin pregnancies are considered high-risk (at least that's what my OB said) so closer monitoring is advised just to make sure there are no problems. I started seeing a peri monthly at 22 weeks and he does a thorough/(level 2?)ultrasound every time, which gives me peace of mind that everything's OK.

4. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

I am 29 weeks. I have never seen a peri, and my OB has never mentioned it at all. I think as long as you have di/di twins, the risks are much lower. I would consider this a good sign.

5. KrisV

KrisV Well-Known Member

I have only seen an OB this whole pregnancy. I haven't had any complications either.

6. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I am 28 and have no "high risk" factors except twins. My OB is very competent, but says she sends every set of twins to the peri. She likes to get the cervical measurements early on and her machine is not good enough for that. The peri has only really done u/s for me...she has measured my cervix each time, measured the babies, and checked for defects in the babies. She says we have the healthiest possible scenario for twins (di-di, like yours, with family history in a fairly young mom). I have a friend who is a month ahead in the exact same situation (age, di-di) and she has only gotten 2 u/s the whole pg and is only seeing an OB. I guess it is what your doctor is comfortable with. Also, the peri is very accessible to me (next building to the OB) so I guess she doesn't feel like it is a hardship on me to go (whereas if you lived in a small town an hour or more away from a peri they may figure the bonus info isn't that important knowing how much strain it would cause you). I wish I didn't have to go to the peri, but the her ultrasound machine is really good so that keeps me from complaining too much because I get to see the babies so clearly and found out the sex at 16 wks.

7. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have an OB and a peri. I am 35 so I am definately considered high risk. I personally am really glad to have a peri. Not only does it allow me to see my babies more often on ultrasound, but it also gives me an automatic second opinion dr. which makes me feel more sure about questions, etc. I also think that the level 2/3 ultrasounds done at the peri is important for twins b/c of the risk for more complications, etc.

8. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I've just seen my OB, but it's in a women's care-type place with high-level U/S machines and things like that. They have just kept a close eye on me, now I get seen about 2-3 times a week between NSTs, U/S, and doc appts ... I think if everything is going well and your doc has experience with delivering multiples, you should be fine.

9. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I didn't start seeing the peri till about 23 wks, and only then because we were monitoring a size disparity and I probably have ID twins - two soft risk factors. I don't know if I ever would have seen him if not for that.
    Every ob/hospital has their own set of criteria,and I think it's based in part on their experience with twins, and your own risk factors. Consider yourself lucky so far and keep up the good work!

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am having di/di twins and I have seen a peri from the beginning -
    my OB also sends all mothers of twins to the peri.

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the OB's experience with twin pregnancies and the level of risk in your pregnancy. My only "risk" was being pregnant with twins-discovered at my routine U/S just shy of 20 weeks. After that, I was sent to the peri's office once a month for an U/S and those were monitored by the peri that I met once at the first appt. there. My OB's office sends patients to the hospital-the office is on the hospital's campus-for routine U/S but the peri's for U/S when they want to keep a closer eye on things and the OB works with the peri or transfers care based upon the need. The OB I settled on-switched within the office due to schedules etc-was very experienced with twin pregnancies and also does a lot of teaching. I continued witht the reg. OB to the end of the pregnancy at 38 weeks.

Angela

12. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

I would agree that it depends on your OB's experience, her machinery, your history, age, etc.

I have been seeing a peri since 16 wks due to blood pressure issues. The appointments are much more thorough -- I'm having a growth u/s once a month -- and they go over everything. I really like the extra attention, but that is just me.

13. Two_more_cookies

Thanks for the take ladies. I am still undecided but I have another appointment in a few weeks. I'll talk to my ob and get her thoughts.

Happy pregnancies!!!!!

Lindia