Do I Want A Bunkbed?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Jan 23, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I am thinking about possibly purchasing bunk beds, it would obviously save space which would be nice BUT I am wondering what reasons there are that I may NOT want to have one...for example, I am wondering how difficult it would be to

1) Change the sheets
    2) for the child to get down in the event of a fire
    3) ease of getting to them if they are sick etc etc

Anyone have thoughts on other pros/cons?? Thanks!!
    :)

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My boys have had bunk beds since they were 5. They're 9 now. I have one twin that seems to get sick every time something goes around and he slept on the bottom bunk.  The one that was on the top rarely gets sick but it was never an issue.  Changing the sheet is a bit of a pain.  I usually would get my son to help me, or I would just toss the mattress down, change it and toss it back up.  I think it was worth the hassle to give them more room.

Right now they have a big enough room that their beds are separated and my husband just lofted them as a Christmas gift.  So now each of them is as high as a top bunk and they will have a desk and shelving underneath. 

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

How old are they?  My girls have loft beds, but they did not get them until they were 7 (almost 8).  I wouldn't have gone with bunk beds until they were 6 at the youngest.

Changing the sheets is kind of a pain, but their bedrooms are small so the loft bed was the only way to give them any study/play space in their rooms.

1 person likes this.
  4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got bunk beds for the girls last year (5.5). It's been good. It's funny though because they still always sleep in the same bed together, they just alternate between the top and bottom bunk. :laughing: When they're sick they usually sleep in bed with us so that's not really a problem. Changing the sheet is a little tricky - we also just pull the mattress down, change the sheet, and put the mattress back. They're fine at getting up and down. We did make a rule that Emmett (2.5 when we bought the bunk beds) wasn't allowed on the top bunk unless he could get up AND down by himself. It took about 6 months but now he's a pro. :D

5. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ugh..we probably need bunk beds due to space issues as well, but our mattresses are very heavy, so sheet changing may be impossible..ugh ugh . can i please win the lottery so i can have a big enough house!!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got the kids bunks (they're 5.5ish) at Christmastime. They are from Ikea and pretty short compared to some others I've seen out there, plus with the Ikea thin mattresses the top bunk is plenty deep so I'm satisfied that they won't roll off. They've jumped off the top bunk against my rules but as they say haven't hurt themselves yet. To change the top sheet I've thus far had my husband do it (ha!) and just taken the mattress down. It's not too heavy and much easier to do on the ground. 

The only real con in my opinion is that tucking them in is a bit of a challenge on the top. I really have to stand tall to get that blanket up and over the kid. But, they love it and it's nice that they and their favorite stuffed animals fit on the bed together.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We've had bunk beds since the girls were 5 due to space (we were in an apartment and no room for two beds and a dresser!).

It has not been a problem at all and they are still bunked at age 9. In a few years, we will get them lofts so they each have  desk below.

Changing the sheet is a pain, but well worth the floor space.

Getting sick and fire hazards never been a problem...ours has a ladder down the back/front and it is VERY sturdy. (wood)

8. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

My boys were 7 when we got them bunk beds. We thought about getting them bunk beds when they were 5 but were warned by other parents to wait until they were older if we wanted to avoid injuries. It's not that they fall off while sleeping. But at age 5, boys WILL jump off while playing and they WILL throw down toys at the other child no matter how many times you tell them not to. And even if you happen to have super obedient kids, one of their friends will do it during a play date. If you have girls, this may not be an issue.

And changing bedsheets on top bunk is a pain.