Do not teach your child the word...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Jun 3, 2009.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

HOT! It's all they will say!!!!!! I kid you not.... :laughing:

My boys are not really speaking yet-but they have one word down pat! "Ha!" It's their way of saying "HOT!" I am not sure when we taught them this-I am thinking over food. Food was hot-so we would tell them-as it would go into the fridge to cool down, and they would repeat it. Well now...we have created MONSTERS!

EVERYTHING is HOT! The stove(which isn't a bad thing....), the stove top, COLD food, the BATH, washing their hands....the list is endless. The funniest one being...

We have a deck. Anthony goes to go outside. The sun is shining. He can see the sunshine on the deck. He REFUSES to step onto the deck. Why? Because it's "Ha!"

He touches the house-"Ha!" He goes down the slide, "Ha!"

I have to admit-it's pretty freakin hilarious. It's amazing what they pick up on!!!

2. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls are doing that too, I gave them frozen teething rings tonight and they told me they were hot, I said, 'no, cold' and they said, 'no, hot'! :rolleyes:

They also tell me things are 'on' as they are taking them off, like shoes, jackets, DIAPERS! Grr!

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Meaghan, that is so cute! My boys love "hot!", too. Lately (and just lately) they have started to revise their statement if I correct them. I'll say "no, that's really more like warm - not quite hot" and they will sign and say "waaaaaaaaarmmmmmmmm, no hot, waaaaaaaarmmmmmmm". It's so cute.

Cohlee, my boys do the on/off mix-up, too! Jackson asks me to turn the light on, whether it is on or off. So funny! :lol:

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I thought for sure when I opened this, you were going to say the word was "Up!" That is one word that drives me crazy...probably because I hear it a million times a day.

My girls do the Hot thing as well, but not really obsessively.

And Erin and Cohlee, the On/Off thing is huge around here as well! :)

5. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Up, oh how I wish they never learned that word!

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

LOL! With Amelia it's "no" which sounds more like "na na na na noooooooooooo" She has to say "nah" a few times first.

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two are trying to say "Fish".

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFspitallovertheplace
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFspit
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFspitsomemore
    FFFFFFFFFi

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Meaghan thats hot. (said in my best Paris Hilton voice) :laughing:

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... I totally remember that stage. Everything was 'hot' in our house for quite a while until the girls learned 'warm'. Then they'd have to touch everything and declare 'warm' or 'hot' or 'cold'. And sometimes it led to arguements... 'no, it HOT!', 'no, mine WARM!'.

Good luck getting through the hot stage!

10. ldwa

ldwa Well-Known Member

I read your post the other day, amused but didn't feel any huge need to reply :) then, yesterday- my son (he's 4) walked outside, looked in the sky, looked back at the door- opened it and said, "Mom, it's summer right?" (we're in Indiana, it was only 68 outside, and technically summer doesn't start for another couple weeks, but it's after the end of pre-school, post Memorial day, so...) "sure, it's summer." he nods approvingly. he takes a step away, pulls off his shirt, looks back at me, tosses the shirt inside and says "Summer is hot, Mom." closes the door and plays outside.

I was stunned.

Guess HOT is a thing at our house, too. :)

11. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Im wondering if maybe Im doing something wrong since my two are almost three and still confuse HOT with cold, and off/on.

I correct them and they say it right, but the next time they may or may not mix it up again.

OFF TOPIC , but I really feel like I am letting the twins be 'babies' for longer than I did the first two. I guess because I know Im done having kids. So sometimes I just let them say cute things and dont ALWAYS correct them.