Do twins usually self wean at the same time?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by wvtwinmama, Sep 9, 2013.

1. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My little ones are nearly 15 mos, and still nursing like champs. I would like them to self wean, and I know they may not do that for a few more months. I'm curious what other's experiences have been: are they likely to self wean at the same time? I would feel a little weird just nursing one. Thanks!!!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins weaned at the same time although it was a sort of joint decision, rather than fully child led. I started dropping feeds around 12 months because I was going back to work. As they approached their 2nd birthday, we were only nursing first thing in the morning. They started fighting over who got to nurse on the left. It was a pretty crappy way to start our day so I stopped offering to breastfeed but if one or both asked, we would. Within a week or two they were done. I did one final nursing session for a photo op, but Riley wouldn't latch. :laughing: So no photo for me. ;)

If you're wanting to totally follow their lead, be prepared for them to continue nursing for some time. It's pretty rare for toddlers to self wean before two years old. :)

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Mine did within a day of each other at 14 months. We were only doing a morning and bedtime feed and it was always one kid nursing at a time in a separate room so I was really surprised when they both called it quits.

4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine weaned separately. Zoe weaned about 15months and I continued nursing her brother until 19months. He loved it because after she decided she was done he got both sides! I would still offer it to her, but she was adamant about no longer being interested.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine weaned at the same time. But the main reason for weaning was that my supply more or less vanished, I needed several and regular nursing sessions to keep up my supply and once we were nursing for naps and bedtime only on most days my milk dried up very quickly. One of them was a little more persistent and suckled on the empty breast for another week or so before accepting that there was nothing more.