Do You Buy Two of Everything, ir not . . .

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Amy A, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

how do you deal with only 1 new toy? I just got the boys a play stroller, they love to play with them everywhere else. I didn't want to buy two of them, so I just got one to share. Of course this lasted about 10 min before the toy went into time out due to fighting/biting. I know this is normal to want the new toy, and sharing isn't a concept they really get yet. So how do you introduce new toys if you only have one? Any suggestions?

We do have two of many things (little tikes grocery carts, lawn mowers, little tikes cars, ect), but I don't want to have 2 of everything! Especially after the toy isn't as "new" anymore, we don't really need two of them. Just curious what you do to deal with this situation! Thanks!

2. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

how do you deal with only 1 new toy? I just got the boys a play stroller, they love to play with them everywhere else. I didn't want to buy two of them, so I just got one to share. Of course this lasted about 10 min before the toy went into time out due to fighting/biting. I know this is normal to want the new toy, and sharing isn't a concept they really get yet. So how do you introduce new toys if you only have one? Any suggestions?

We do have two of many things (little tikes grocery carts, lawn mowers, little tikes cars, ect), but I don't want to have 2 of everything! Especially after the toy isn't as "new" anymore, we don't really need two of them. Just curious what you do to deal with this situation! Thanks!

3. Dawnie

Dawnie Well-Known Member

I have found when I buy two...they end up fighting over ONE! So whats the point? We have the same problem here. I do buy two of somethings like coloring books, etc. That they use in there highchairs. But I have heard some times its easier to just get two of everything, but IMO this will be how they learn to share...lol...And we simply can't afford two of everything.

I am curious what others have to say on the subject too.

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

There are very few things we have two of. I just don't see the point of having two of the same toy. If mine fight over a toy, I take it away and it goes to "school" to learn how to share. If there is pushing or biting involved, then they go to time out. I just refuse to buy two of everything. The time-out for the toys works pretty well for us!

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I usually buy 2 similar items, like two bears or two dolls or two push toys. Mine share really well though (usually).

6. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

no, for the most part we don't. we'll often get similar items, or ones that can be used in a similar way (different trucks, or one shopping cart/one stroller, or a little people barn and a little people house).

7. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I usually get two new things so that they each get something new to play with. They are usually ok with the sharing and taking turns. If it causes a big commotion, I take the toy away for a period of time and give it back a while later.

8. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

I usually give them 2 new things at the same time but not necessarily the same toy.

9. Plain Old T

Plain Old T Well-Known Member

i do not get them doubles of anything and with the exception of magna doodles they recvd as gift and a doll for each of them, we dont have any doubles

they learn to share or they dont get it, period.

10. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

They have doubles of some things, but most toys, we have just one.

About a year ago, we were heavily using the "2 minute rule." If one of them wanted what the other one had, we told the one with the toy that he could keep it for 2 minutes, and then he had to give his brother a turn. They started regulating each other, saying "2 minutes!" to their brother when they wanted a toy. And what they thought was 2 minutes was actually about 30 seconds, so it worked well. Knowing they were going to get a turn soon kept everybody happy. On the rare occasion that they started really fighting over something, I just put it away.

Now, sharing is rarely a problem.

11. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Ok well this is just my opinion hehe, so hopefully nobody shouts at me. I don't think it's fair to just get one, I think a lot of the time twins are expected to share a lot more than singletons, just for the fact they are twins.

On the note of sharing, my two are pretty good at it, if they fight over anything (coz obviously u do accumulate single things), I Just let them each play for 10 seconds, so count then keep switching, usually after about 2 - 3 turns each one gets something else, or if they continue, then the toy gets a time out. When a friend came over the other day she's like why is that doll on top of your tv, I'm like whoops poor dolls been in time out for 2 days hehe.

Good luck

12. mesamama

mesamama Well-Known Member

I don't get 2 of every single toy but things like toy strollers (which they LOVE and have for almost a year) we have 2 of. I just personally can't deal with your turn, now your turn thing constantly all day long with the most popular toy in the house.

13. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

quote:
    I have found when I buy two...they end up fighting over ONE! So whats the point?

Same here, it's so annoying! We have 2 sets of those Fisher Price twin dolls (so 4 baby dolls). They can all be laying on the floor and they will each grab and arm of ONE doll and about rip them off fighting over it. HELLO, there are 3 more in front of you!

14. rens

rens Well-Known Member

I hate to laugh... but the stroller issue came up here at our house a few months ago. They loved strollers at other people's houses so I gave in. I bought one used at the MVMOM sale and yes the fought over it like something horrible. I found a free one on craigslist that someone was giving away because they said they wheel turned funny. I hid the first one for a week or two until the 2nd one could be found. When I introduced the 2nd one I brought the first one back out. Funny thing is the 1st one they loved is ignored most of the time and since the 2nd one although it is for dolls is larger and they can actually fit in it themselves... they usually take turns sitting in it themselves. DH hates those strollers but the LOVE them. I too was not planning on buying two of them as we do not have two of everything but there are some toys that seem to really be favored by them and not just a phase and I will give in a do my best to find another. We now have three strollers for them to choose from... all used and all different. One is from Ikea and kinda of funky and unisex, not sure if they still carry them since I found it at garage sale but might be a thought to check into.

Good luck...
    -Kristi

15. lana123

lana123 Well-Known Member

I never buy 2 of the same. I do however buy 2 toys...that way they both have one and they are different. I am teaching sharing right now. If Rachel has it first then Josh cannot come up and take it. If so I remove it and she gets it back for about 5 minutes or until she lays it down...then it is his turn. Sometimes he'll sit on my lap and cry until it's his turn and sometimes he'll give up and play with something else. Right now all toys belong to both even the dolls. Later they can claim their own.

So for now if it's 2 new different toys we can celebrate.

Lana
    Mom to Joshua and Rachel
    14 mo