Do you eat dinner at the table every night?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JensBoys, Jan 8, 2008.

1. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Just curious. I find that as hard as I try, we don't always eat dinner at the table as a family. Sometimes it's just easier to feed the boys while we're on the couch chatting. Anyone else?

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unless DH works late, we eat dinner at the kitchen table all together. I figure I want them to learn proper table manners and how to have a dinner conversation.

3. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

If we aren't eating out then we do eat dinner at the table. We never have dinner with the kids in front of the tv. It's a habit I don't want to get into. They are allowed to snack in the living room though.

4. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Every single night. It's actually never ocurred to me to do otherwise. This is how my family always ate when I was growing up, so I guess that's probably why.

-Rachel

5. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

Every night since about 18 months. If DH works later than usual we still eat at the table just the three of us.

6. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

I guess it's a habit I need to get back into. We kinda fell out of it when the baby was born. It'll be easier to get them used to it now than waiting awhile...

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I wish! DH works many nights (2nd shift at a hospital) so the nights he IS home for dinner, we like the time alone together. Someday we will all be at the table as a family.

8. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

We're trying to. The twins eat at the table all the time, and I try to have my oldest and myself eat at the same time, even while DH is on the road for work.

9. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Yes we do. I never had that much when I was a kid, only on sundays, so I am trying to keep it that way with my family. :)

10. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Every night we set the table and have dinner -- no tvs, telephones, iphones, text messages or emails allowed. Even when I was divorced, my oldest and I set the table and had dinner. Growing up we never did that and I felt like we were less of a family because of it.

11. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Yes, every night.

12. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

We always eat at the table as a family.

13. sj3g

sj3g Well-Known Member

We do every night, too. I grew up in a home where that was what we did, and that's carried over into my family. I've never considered otherwise.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes we do.

15. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

We always come to the table for dinner. ONly exception is a campfire meal or some other picnic style meal, but then we picnic on a blanket together. Also no TV during dinner and depending on the CID we may answer the phone. or not.

16. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I eat at the table with the girls and our au pair every weeknight. Sometimes DH is home early enough to join us, as he does on the weekends. Otherwise, I keep a plate warm for him.

17. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

The girls always eat dinner at the table. DH and I eat with them most nights, unless I haven't planned well enough in advance and there's nothing for us to eat. In those cases, we feed them first and then we eat after they're in bed. But they are never allowed to eat (including snacks) anywhere but at the table.

18. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Many times the boys eat at the table by themselves, because DH usually doesn't get home until after 7, and they can't wait that long. If I have to go out to tutor or something, then I will eat with the boys, otherwise they eat by themselves, and I eat with DH. On weekends, or days when DH is home, we always eat together.

19. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

20. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

We eat dinner at the table as a family every night (no t.v., phone etc.), even if my DS (14.5) has a friend or two over.

Donna

21. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We eat at the table every night. I find dinner is the time when I get to hear everything that happened at school, anything that is bothering them, they share more during dinner than any other time.

22. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I wish

23. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Yes. Once or twice a month DH has to work at night, but the rest of us still eat together. DH and the girls and I eat breakfast together, too (the boys have left for school).

24. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

We do eat dinner together every night, with the exception of one or two nights a month when DH and I will get takeout to eat after the girls have gone to bed. That's one thing I miss about prebaby days--a nice uninterrupted meal!

25. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We always eat dinner at the table. The girls only get food at the table, nowhere else.

26. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

We don't eat on the carpeted areas of our house.

Yes, we do eat supper at the table every night. I don't want the bad habit of eating on the couch in front of the TV, and using the carpet rule works very well :)

Snacks are also at the table, but not as strick. When the sippy cups are gone, then the drinks will also be at the table.

27. daniellecic

daniellecic Well-Known Member

all food is in the kitchen at all times! it is the one rule i really enforce. my DH gets home late and the kids usually can't wait so the 6 of us eat together and when DH eats we usually hang out in the kitchen with him.

28. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

We eat dinner together every night. But not always at the table. Everynow and then we do dinner and a movie and eat in front of the tv, but we still do it all together as a family. The only time we don't is if one of us has something going on where we won't be home for dinner. I usually try to wait for my dh if he is coming home late for some reason.

29. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We eat at the table about four nights a week. There are times that we just sit in the living room and eat if we are just eating finger type foods. But when we have a big meal, it is just easier to put the girls in their high chair around the table.

30. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Yes! I love that time each day.

Occasionally if we get take out and a movie, then we will gather around in the family room (we have a little table for the kids in there), but that isn't all the time.

31. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

Every night that we eat at home, we all eat together at the dinner table, expect when the Sharks (hockey) is on. We have eaten at the coffee table in the family room the last few Sharks games that have been on TV during dinner time.

32. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Every night together. When we have order in pizza, we let the boys watch cartoons while they eat.

33. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

:laughing: QUOTE
    expect when the Sharks (hockey) is on
    I was going to put in my initial response that the tv is not on then I remembered if we eat after 7:00 Kyle is always running to the fridge to see if there is a Bruins game (we have a schedule magnet) and if there is he will ask if we can turn it on...........I of course let him.............it is hockey after all :D .